• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January/February Winter Storm Threat Tracker

Ji

Since we're throwing around weenie fantasy maps I figured I should post the biggest storm on the EPS. This one literally buries 95 and east with what looks like 30+" of snow. A 968 tucked like that with arctic air sprawled banana style all over the top of it would be a true blizzard of the likes that I've only seen in the Rockies. This has to be a front runner for the weeniest storm ever inside of 10 days. Maybe I'm missing one but a sub 970 tucked like that is mind boggling... lol
7tjQRwT.jpg&key=eb4598c18a1d6d1e67ece0e67496369403c4302ff52b0bf5a451704a46102ed3

ETA: it's like 40"+ and that doesn't even take ratios into consideration. LOL

Maybe not an OP map but I’d have to think a random ensemble member has done it at some point, probably as late as May if it was the GEFS

. Pro

2 hours ago, Bob Chill said:

Since we're throwing around weenie fantasy maps I figured I should post the biggest storm on the EPS. This one literally buries 95 and east with what looks like 30+" of snow. A 968 tucked like that with arctic air sprawled banana style all over the top of it would be a true blizzard of the likes that I've only seen in the Rockies. This has to be a front runner for the weeniest storm ever inside of 10 days. Maybe I'm missing one but a sub 970 tucked like that is mind boggling... lol

7tjQRwT.jpg

ETA: it's like 40"+ and that doesn't even take ratios into consideration. LOL

Ooooooh you did it now. Just saw this same image posted on social media hyping the "Welcome to an Epic February Blizzard". Lol knew it was just a matter of time.

6 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

Not sure but based on the 18z GFS through 240 the answer is decidedly no.  Not one flake of snow that I could see. 

GFS certainly looks wintry  from 240 to the end of the Run. I know it's just 1 op but it seems we are maybe starting to turn the corner somewhat. 

3 minutes ago, jaydreb said:

Let’s bask in the glory of the Euro control because the GFS is a dumpster fire.  

EDIT: But redeems itself in the end.  

Once you play this game long enough... like me wasting 13 years of my winter life scrolling through wx models... you come to realize that you actually want the gfs to show the opposite of what you want then apply the wrong bias and extrapolate from there. 18z gfs just said get your shovel ready next week. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Once you play this game long enough... like me wasting 13 years of my winter life scrolling through wx models... you come to realize that you actually want the gfs to show the opposite of what you want then apply the wrong bias and extrapolate from there. 18z gfs just said get your shovel ready next week. 

Ha.  Well hopefully it’s right about this.  

314BA253-98E6-4F2E-93A4-47A0BB5C5EDF.png

2 hours ago, WEATHER53 said:

Models in winter do only two things well-cutters and cold outbreaks. Any other form of low pressure they are cluless

I was going to say the same thing.  Just uncanny how deadly accurate they are, especially when it comes to heavy rain events.   If the mets are predicting a deluge 3-5 days out, believe it.  Snowstorms?  The models and hence, the mets are basically helpless.  Until it's right on your doorstep, they'll waver, dance, deny, admit, and ultimately, make fools out of themselves. It just comes with the territory with little to no accountability.  I always read the NOAA's forecast discussion page for my area and while it's fairly technical, if they're mentioning the dreaded PWAT's within a storm, get ready to be inundated with more heavy rain.   

33 minutes ago, Danajames said:

I was going to say the same thing.  Just uncanny how deadly accurate they are, especially when it comes to heavy rain events.   If the mets are predicting a deluge 3-5 days out, believe it.  Snowstorms?  The models and hence, the mets are basically helpless.  Until it's right on your doorstep, they'll waver, dance, deny, admit, and ultimately, make fools out of themselves. It just comes with the territory with little to no accountability.  I always read the NOAA's forecast discussion page for my area and while it's fairly technical, if they're mentioning the dreaded PWAT's within a storm, get ready to be inundated with more heavy rain.   

This isn’t true at all. It just seems like it because you don’t DGAF about rain but care very much about snow.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Danajames said:

I think that is because we need good tracks for snowstorms. Cutters can just be wherever. If a cutter is 200 miles off from where it was originally forecast to be, no one notices or cares. The margin of error is far less for snowstorms.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, osfan24 said:

This isn’t true at all. It just seems like it because you don’t DGAF about rain but care very much about snow.

On the contrary, I care deeply about all this heavy rain as I've had a literal flood plain in my back yard since last Spring.  It's becoming pure dread whenever I see another 1-2 inches of rain heading my way.  And all the people who have had flooded basements over the past year care too.  I love a good old fashioned snow storm like most of us on here but if you give me a choice at this point, I'll gladly take dry and cold.  

5 minutes ago, osfan24 said:

Exactly. Rain events move around just as much as snow events. Ask the people in the midwest how much digital snow gets stolen by the models leading in. With a nw track storm we will still get rain when the low center moves around 100s of miles while Chicago or Indianapolis weenies are screaming bloody murder.

Also, nobody talks about how much rain is coming 3 or 4 or 5 days out. Since snow is high impact, nws and the media try really hard to predict how much snow will fall outside the range of good skill. With rain, we can get .25 or 1.25 and the forecast still looks good because it rained. That type of variability with snow makes a huge difference with ground truth and impact. Comparing the 2 types of precip is flawed logic.

I think everyone should click the previous run button a dozen times on TT when a rainstorm is on the doorstep. Qpf and low position/track is every bit as jumpy as with snow events.

With many large systems the precip field is usually huge but the snow swath is magnitudes smaller than the entire precip field. I strongly disagree with the OP's post as well. 

• Like 4

I'd say the gefs strongly disagrees with the op for next week. All but 2 drop some snow. Majority are 2" or more. Hopefully if we do get some snow next week it's falling in an arctic airmass. PSU made a good point earlier about ratios. If we get sw flow precip it will be juicy and ratios will almost surely be better than 10:1. 

E7nmMQF.png

I'm also encouraged by the number of members that have 2-3 events over the next 15 days. If trends keep up, meteograms like this might be full of purples and pinks. Ji's favorite colors. He doesn't consider blues a storm at all. Lol

• Like 2

• WxUSAF unpinned and locked this topic