Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January/February Winter Storm Threat Tracker

Ji

Just now, LP08 said:

ICON just took a major step back at 12z.  Hopefully just a blip.

maybe... its a pretty weak disturbance into a deamplifying flow and the euro has never been on board for more than conversational flakes.  It could be something but wouldn't surprise me at all if it ends up being a non event either.  

• Haha 1

Just now, psuhoffman said:

maybe... its a pretty weak disturbance into a deamplifying flow and the euro has never been on board for more than conversational flakes.  It could be something but wouldn't surprise me at all if it ends up being a non event either.  

I agree. I normally wouldn't be this invested in something that the Euro has never liked.  I liked this window back with there was some transient blocking and todays storm quickly moving into eastern Canada on the Ensembles back when it was +120 hrs.  It's just a shred factory north of us.  I made a bet with my Wife's friends at her school that we would have 2 threats this week because of those looks.  I'm going down with the ship lol.

Just now, LP08 said:

I agree. I normally wouldn't be this invested in something that the Euro has never liked.  I liked this window back with there was some transient blocking and todays storm quickly moving into eastern Canada on the Ensembles back when it was +120 hrs.  It's just a shred factory north of us.  I made a bet with my Wife's friends at her school that we would have 2 threats this week because of those looks.  I'm going down with the ship lol.

The window was really destroyed by the PNA going to absolute crap so fast.  That compresses the flow in the east between the western trough and the departing PV and it warms us up too quickly before something can really come along.  Had the PAC not gone to absolute hell so fast we would have had a window as the TPV crossed the 50/50 domain.  

Fv3 has between .1-.2 of qpf. For Friday. Wouldn't take much more to get a region wide 2 to 4 " event across the area. Ratios should be decent and with cold ground conditions every flake should stick. 

EDIT-  It has the western MD mountains around .5 in qpf. That's a good sign in imho.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Chris78 said:

GFS took a step back for Friday. Basically  T - 1" for the area.

This is the kind of deal where as long as the models don't lose it or dry out completely we should se something. Let it hold steady through tomorrow where it is now and then hope it juices up a bit on Thursday. .2 is probably the best we can squeeze out of it and that would be fine as it would yield a nice cold 1-3 inch event and someone lucky could pull off 4.

14 minutes ago, HighStakes said:

This is the kind of deal where as long as the models don't lose it or dry out completely we should se something. Let it hold steady through tomorrow where it is now and then hope it juices up a bit on Thursday. .2 is probably the best we can squeeze out of it and that would be fine as it would yield a nice cold 1-3 inch event and someone lucky could pull off 4.

I agree. I'm optimistic about this one. Cold ground and good ratios should go a long way.

Just now, Chris78 said:

I agree. I'm optimistic about this one. Cold ground and good ratios should go a long way.

I’m heading to McHenry Thursday night after work (and working from there Friday for half a day).  Like I mentioned earlier, if I can squeeze out over 0.5” QPF there, it’ll bode well for east of the Allegany front.  Even 0.1” QPF could be 2” especially in the favored spots.

1 minute ago, nj2va said:

I’m heading to McHenry Thursday night after work (and working from there Friday for half a day).  Like I mentioned earlier, if I can squeeze out over 0.5” QPF there, it’ll bode well for east of the Allegany front.  Even 0.1” QPF could be 2” especially in the favored spots.

Sweet. Your probably looking at 6 to 10 out there. Nice!

• WxUSAF unpinned and locked this topic