• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January/February Winter Storm Threat Tracker

Ji

imho I don't believe the icon adds much. If it wouldn't be On TT it would never be mentioned or thought of. It's wrong more than right it seems. For last Saturday it was still giving the m/d line 6" 24 hours prior to the storm. I have just about as much faith in that model than the nam at 84h.

4 minutes ago, Chris78 said:

You can't make this stuff up. Sometimes It feels like we have an  anti snow dome over us 98% of the time in winter.

This year isn't nearly as bad as our true snowhole streaks. We've actually had multiple accum events and a pretty good storm. Millions of weenies to our NE are jealous of us. It's usually the other way around. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

This year isn't nearly as bad as our true snowhole streaks. We've actually had multiple accum events and a pretty good storm. Millions of weenies to our NE are jealous of us. It's usually the other way around. 

Sounds great but I live in Dundalk MD...I’ve maybe seen a total of 7” so for this season. Not awful but not as good as some of you guys to my west and southwest 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chris78 said:

imho I don't believe the icon adds much. If it wouldn't be On TT it would never be mentioned or thought of. It's wrong more than right it seems. For last Saturday it was still giving the m/d line 6" 24 hours prior to the storm. I have just about as much faith in that model than the nam at 84h.

I disagree a little. I dont know enough about the model to really judge it but it was one of the first and also most consistent with the upper level part of the big snow earlier this month. None of us believed it until other models caught on. Last weekend the icon did pretty good with the track. The ptype algo may be screwey but overall it did fine with the storm. Not sure how it did for the NE though. I think it was showing rain inland and a tucked track and was being tossed because it didn't agree with the euro's colder/snowier solution. Someome would need to confirm because I didn't pay much attention to the rain/snow issues north of us. I actually might trust the Icon more than the gfs.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

I disagree a little. I dont know enough about the model to really judge it but it was one of the first and also most consistent with the upper level part of the big snow earlier this month. None of us believed it until other models caught on. Last weekend the icon did pretty good with the track. The ptype algo may be screwey but overall it did fine with the storm. Not sure how it did for the NE though. I think it was showing rain inland and a tucked track and was being tossed because it didn't agree with the euro's colder/snowier solution. Someome would need to confirm because I didn't pay much attention to the rain/snow issues north of us. I actually might trust the Icon more than the gfs.

I hope it's right about next weekend. It's been showing some sort of a southern wave off and on for the past few days. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Chris78 said:

I hope it's right about next weekend. It's been showing some sort of a southern wave off and on for the past few days. 

You and me both man. At least it's not a total phantom. Cmc has shown it a few times and both the gefs and eps have a minority cluster with something similar. Not enough support for a lick of confidence yet. At least the air will be easily cold enough for snow if precip accidentally makes it here. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bob Chill said:

Interesting gfs run. Pac still sucks and the pna is negative but damn if it didn't show a nice -nao trying to fight it. Just like psu said, if the pac craps the nao is mandatory. It builds d7 for a few days then relaxes and goes to this. Hmmm..

NgQAhgK.png

What did u do with the real Bob Chill? He would never use a 360 hr op map to analyze the pattern.  Please give him his account back as I have learned a tremendous amount from him over the years....one of which is to use the ens mean and not an op past day 6 (give or take a day)

On 1/25/2019 at 6:16 PM, DCTeacherman said:

Yeah this pattern has been truly awful, I’ve had 3 snow events in DC, I’m 2/3 of the way to climo,  it isn’t even February yet, and we’re tracking a light event for Tuesday/wednesday with potential upside.....just awful.  Did you just move here? Have you not been here for some of our shutout years?

It's true that areas D.C. and points south have had some decent snowfall.  Even my sister in Richmond got over a foot with that one storm.  But I'm in northern MD and we've gotten very little with maybe 3" being the biggest output.  And as much as a snow lover that I am, I'm at the point with these relentless rainstorms that I just want to see dry, cold weather.  If we get a small dose like what's coming Tuesday night(supposedly), that will be fine with me.  

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

What did u do with the real Bob Chill? He would never use a 360 hr op map to analyze the pattern.  Please give him his account back as I have learned a tremendous amount from him over the years....one of which is to use the ens mean and not an op past day 6 (give or take a day)

I guess you didn't read the part where i said it builds earlier. I was simply using the gfs as an example of what could help if the pac craps so people know what to look for. Ensemble runs don't disagree with a potential nao helping down the line as well. But if you think I believe that a long range op is a lock then you are putting words in my mouth for reasons that I don't care to understand

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Danajames said:

It's true that areas D.C. and points south have had some decent snowfall.  Even my sister in Richmond got over a foot with that one storm.  But I'm in northern MD and we've gotten very little with maybe 3" being the biggest output.  And as much as a snow lover that I am, I'm at the point with these relentless rainstorms that I just want to see dry, cold weather.  If we get a small dose like what's coming Tuesday night(supposedly), that will be fine with me.  

Exactly... it's easy for people who got 10-12" two weeks ago to be condescending to those of us who are disappointed at this winter. What they don't get is that not everyone had those kinds of totals and there are still some of us who haven't seen a good storm yet.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Fozz said:

Exactly... it's easy for people who got 10-12" two weeks ago to be condescending to those of us who are frustrated at this winter. What they don't get is that not everyone had those kinds of totals and there are still some of us who haven't seen a good storm yet.

This is kind of the reverse of some years lately where the northern 1/3 of this forum was having a much better winter wrt average. They were probably frustrated that we were “ok” and they were freaking out about an epic snow drought. Sucks to be on the other side. Would be nice to get a year that’s equally good forum wide like 2003, 2010, 2014, 2015 but it’s more often that some part wins and some part not so much. 

• WxUSAF unpinned and locked this topic