Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January/February Winter Storm Threat Tracker

Ji

Just now, ravensrule said:

Thank you for the explanation. 

If it's right - that's how I'm reading it but after 20 years here and on Eastern before with dialup, I'm still an aspiring weenie wannabe.  

Hope that 1016 does not park itself off the coast of FL - far better to get it further east, especially as a 1016.  As is, the WAR would look to push the action too far west.  Get it farther east so it relaxes the WAR enough to still turn things up the east coast and not OTS, but just off the coast to let the still relatively SSTs do their thing, that would help.  

All said, its still a week away.  The way things have been flipping run to run, I'm going to quell the urge to get excited about anything until we see something last through a full 24 hour cycle of runs, across multiple models inside of 5 days.  And even then not going to hold my breath.    

16 minutes ago, Ji said:

00z euro historically awful run

Why? Did it just lose everything? Lol (seriously when you guys post "it looks awful" without any details...it's baffling for those of us who don't have the precip panels) And why does something tell me you may be going a bit extreme with "historically awful"?

• Like 1

EPS looks more promising for roughly around the 30th time frame though the pv drop is a little west of my liking. MSLP has improved over the 12z as it seems to be keying less on the Midwest low and more so on a coastal through that time period. Seeing a corresponding increase in the snowfall means through that period of time as well.

eta: Actually after looking deeper into the 30th time frame the eps is all over the place with no clear camp on the evolution through the 29/30 time frame. Seems to be fighting the idea of a low running to our west or a coastal and any combination in between. Knowing the setup with the pv dropping down at this time I would tend to favor a Miller B transfer to the coast from the energy to the west. Where this occurs would be highly dependent on the evolution of the pv with the deepness of the drop and the location of the drop. We tend not to fare well with Miller b's but in this case the advertised depth of drop and location would possibly be favorable for a more southern transfer. Pretty much at wait and see mode at this point to see where the models go with the pv. I will say that the ingredients are on the board IMO for a big storm if everything comes together right.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, snowfan said:

No square hits, but 6z GFS is certainly active starting w early next week.

While u r correct it is active, the 6z GFS is a 50 shades of fail run and has almost every conceivable scenario thru the run in which could possibly just miss out on all the action. Eventually you would think one wave will break for us. 

Am I reading the ens wrong for next week? Instead of the tpv paying the Northeast US a visit like originally progged it is now going to dive into the Plains pumping heights downstream in our area = AN temps? That is one heck of a turn of events if it verifies. Went from 20 degrees+ BN means to 10 degrees AN means on some guidance.

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

While u r correct it is active, the 6z GFS is a 50 shades of fail run and has almost every conceivable scenario thru the run in which could possibly just miss out on all the action. Eventually you would think one wave will break for us. 

I see the same.   For years/decades, we've disciplined ourselves as a sub-region here to wait "10 days".  Now, thanks to Ms. Pacific and Ms. Atlantic and Ms. equatorial Pacific Ocean, we discipline ourselves to wait 16 days and the next ensemble run will be "epic".

New mantra for MA and southern PA:  March will saves us!  Sun angle can be overcome by heavy rates at night!  Padding my seasonal total 1/8" at a time!  Severe rules all!  Living for Tropical season!

8 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Am I reading the ens wrong for next week? Instead of the tpv paying the Northeast US a visit like originally progged it us now going to dive into the Plains pumping heights downstream in our area = AN temps? That is one heck of a turn of events if it verifies. Went from 30 degrees+ BN means to 10 degrees AN means on some guidance.

??? Lost me here. EPS does drop the pv west of the lakes but it is a very quick shot of above normal (3-5 degrees) but that is it.

• WxUSAF unpinned and locked this topic