• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    kgottwald
    Newest Member
    kgottwald
40/70 Benchmark

Super, Duper SWFE

Simple thing but I’ve rarely used radar here, can NNEs advise me if I’m wrong: to get radar returns in mountain areas (e.g. KCXX returns for nearby Stowe), do you have to use higher Tilts 3-4? It looks to me like Tilts 1-2 are shadowed on one side by mountains?

2 minutes ago, wxsniss said:

Simple thing but I’ve rarely used radar here, can NNEs advise me if I’m wrong: to get radar returns in mountain areas (e.g. KCXX returns for nearby Stowe), do you have to use higher Tilts 3-4? It looks to me like Tilts 1-2 are shadowed on one side by mountains?

Use composite or try wunderground

Just now, wxsniss said:

Yes... BTV's 0.5 degree scan (the one most other offices would use as their primary) is the most blocked radar in the U.S. or I believe I've heard them say that.  It essentially can only look north and south up the valley.

J.Spin and I use the 2.4 degree scan and the composite views on Wunderground radar. 

To me the 2.4 degree scan is the best for Stowe on this side of the mountain.  It's the first scan that has no interference with terrain. 

https://www.wunderground.com/weather-radar/united-states/vt/lower-village/cxx/?lat=44.465433&lon=-72.687402&label=Lower Village%2c VT#

Ugrt30F.gif

14 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Nice meeting you last night. I too was surprised how young you looked, lol seems like you have been around for a decade here.

Good call valley >hills

Great to meet you too. I started posting on Eastern in 2009 or 2010 I think so close...

3 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

Most were dismissing it

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

He was sarcastic. The GFS blew chunks.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Have seen nothing but little flakes, though 2 hours ago there were a whole lot of them - only about 2" or so between 9 PM and 4 AM, then 4-5" from 4-7 AM.  Reported 8.0" to cocorahs at 7, perhaps another inch since.  Temp stuck at zero or a degree under.  Not much wind, fortunately.   Seeing PSM reporting 10° and IP.  Don't recall IP at that low a temp, though I've seen frdz at even colder.

Edit:  Just noted here that Scarborough has P at 7°.

Back to crappy growth again with the same as you ave tiny flakes.

Just now, dryslot said:

Back to crappy growth again with the same as you ave tiny flakes.

I mean I never cared for high ratios outside of the initial fronto. Once the models shifted that northward I figured we'd have the usual 9-10:1 before the sleet. The subsidence/downsloping doesn't help either. The 8-14" I went with is pretty much verifying.

Lame sleet/snow grain mix.. Shades closed on anything interesting here. Have to watch the icing in CT. 

3 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

Majority of accum is over?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I hear pinging too, So i think were SN/IP mixing.