Total Members
    Most Online
    mansour
    Newest Member
    mansour
nj2va

Light Snow Event - 1/17-1/18 Obs and Discussion

4 minutes ago, SnowCane4896 said:

I just officially moved to Gaithersburg from Mobile, AL last night so I'm just excited to see flakes fly!  On my drive up yesterday, there was still quite a bit of ice on the trees along I-81 between Roanoke and Lexington, VA.  

Welcome :)

hope you get to see some good snow 

• Like 1

West to east moving storms are tough here but I could see just east of here getting an inch or two. It would be nice to freshen up the remaining snow and maybe frost the trees again. I have an 8am flight out of BWI tomorrow flying to Portland Maine...I'm contemplating staying for the weekend storm up there.

19 minutes ago, SnowCane4896 said:

I just officially moved to Gaithersburg from Mobile, AL last night so I'm just excited to see flakes fly!  On my drive up yesterday, there was still quite a bit of ice on the trees along I-81 between Roanoke and Lexington, VA.  

Welcome to FailTown!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

10 minutes ago, leesburg 04 said:

West to east moving storms are tough here but I could see just east of here getting an inch or two. It would be nice to freshen up the remaining snow and maybe frost the trees again. I have an 8am flight out of BWI tomorrow flying to Portland Maine...I'm contemplating staying for the weekend storm up there.

I wouldn't think twice about staying. If you're already there it would make no sense to fly back here for the cold torrential rain storm. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, SnowCane4896 said:

Central Maryland is a winter wonderland. Big snowstorms are common, snow usually stays around for a while afterwords, and as a storm gets closer you'll usually see models juicing up the precip totals and turning colder.

Ok... I'm lying, but welcome to the mid-Atlantic! :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Nice fat flakes falling here in Blacksburg. 30 degrees. Snowing all the way down to Boone, NC this afternoon.

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, yoda said:

Fairfax, Prince William, Arlington, and Fauquier have canceled all afternoon activities on school grounds lol

Baltimore County did as well, which means one of us has to pick up the kiddo early since there is no after school daycare now. 

Random question, but why does HRRR usually give 18 hour forecasts but sometimes (seems random to me) the run is for 24 hours? For instance, 18z is 24 hours but 17z was 18 hours.

31/24

Pretty nice slug of moisture to my west. I would think it will be snowing here within an hour or so. It just smells like snow outside. I still have around 4 inches of snowpack so it is going to be nice to add a fresh inch on top. 

• Like 1

Couple of mPING reports just west of Harrisonburg.  Looks like everything is going according to schedule.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

31/24

Pretty nice slug of moisture to my west. I would think it will be snowing here within an hour or so. It just smells like snow outside. I still have around 4 inches of snowpack so it is going to be nice to add a fresh inch on top. 

Getting close for us.  Cloud deck lowering and thickening.  Within 15 minutes for sure .   Still several inches of snow cover here,  so this has been a great week for winter.  Too bad it's over tomorrow .

• Like 1

Just now, EastCoast NPZ said:

Getting close for us.  Cloud deck lowering and thickening.  Within 15 minutes for sure .   Still several inches of snow cover here,  so this has been a great week for winter.  Too bad it's over tomorrow .

Look outside. Snowing here.

• Like 1

Just now, clskinsfan said:

First flakes. No virga at all. Immediate light snow.

yup, was just gonna post that..... just flurries for now

• Like 1