• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2019 Discussion II

Typhoon Tip

Let me first state that I am still riding with Ray, Don and Isotherm on their thoughts of a really good upcoming pattern. However posting the following for discussion. May mean nothing.

10 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

The weeklies age already invalid. Day 15 now looks nothing like Day 16 on the weeklies. And there was a lot of divergence within the weeklies when I looked at the members. Are people really feeling confident given the look or are they just trying not to be negative?  Maybe I’m missing something. I hate the direction everything is going right now. 

1 hour ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

If we can’t cash in next 6 weeks it’s purely being on the wrong side of variance. We would take the look 100 times over and do very well on 75 of them.

Well if 8 of 9 systems screw us odds are it’s something we’re not seeing that is unfavorable, not “bad luck” 

I beleive if you  compare what the models do when we are at present compared to what they did look like for today (10 days ago @ day 10) there is a greater process that the models are not compensating for that constantly makes things less favorable as we get closer to a really good period 

we will see in 7-10 days 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Well if 8 of 9 systems screw us odds are it’s something we’re not seeing that is unfavorable, not “bad luck” 

I beleive if you  compare what the models do when we are at present compared to what they did look like for today (10 days ago @ day 10) there is a greater process that the models are not compensating for that constantly makes things less favorable as we get closer to a really good period 

we will see in 7-10 days 

that's the story of this entire winter so far. always 7-10 days away

• Like 1

Re the "pattern change" discussion ... this has been similar to making a deal with the devil.   Pattern changes ... there was no guarantee it was going to change into exactly what folks want ... There was no promise it would change into anything even half of that expectation.   

Still ...yar, it's true ... in spirit, we all know what was intended by the pattern change, but reality and expectations ..heh, some people spend their whole lives depressed because of that divorce, never figuring out why the two so rarely reconcile. 

The pattern did change from where I'm sitting..  It basically took the pattern of December and added height lines to it, without actually morphing the orientation of planetary waves - not substantially enough.  We have added gradient - that has turned out to be the change.  

The only reason why we recently experienced a winter event was really like rolling 7's at the crappes table.  There was a well time cold high pressure/anticyclone situated N... similar actually to what took place back in November, tho no analog per se.  Just the timing of the synoptic features... 

Going forward, yesterday's GEFs -based teleconnectors did not look very appealing to winter weather enthusiasts; considering where they have been and what has verified during that journey, it is hard to imagine how the layout as of yesterday would parlay favorably.  Wonders never cease...  and I don't know about the EPS. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

What’s with all the whining and complaining? The pattern looks absolutely fantastic with plenty of cold and snow threats starting with the coastal Monday/ Tuesday . EPS is the best its looked all winter. Folks need to get a grip just because it’s gonna rain this week . 

Everyone is whining all over the other forums and social media because forecasters had this winter being a cold and snowy winter for the whole northeast .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

For southern CT.

Not really yet. At 25% of my lower average range. Only 1 22.5 storm gets me there.

If I finish at 25% then yes ratter.

My personal def for fun:

Less than 33% = ratter.

33 to 49% = terrible.

50 to 63% = bad.

64 to 99% = disappointing.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

Not really yet. At 25% of my lower average range. Only 1 22.5 storm gets me there.

If I finish at 25% then yes ratter.

My personal def for fun:

Less than 33% = ratter.

33 to 49% = terrible.

50 to 63% = bad.

64 to 99% = disappointing.

It was tongue in cheek....I'm just playing the game. Sick of arguing at this point.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Snow88 said:

Everyone is whining all over the other forums and social media because forecasters had this winter being a cold and snowy winter for the whole northeast .

No one should have expected that when we lost all of Dec and most of Jan. After you lose a full winter month in Dec, it’s time to adjust forecasts and expectations. Shame on anyone who thought an epic winter was enroute after losing Dec

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

No one should have expected that when we lost all of Dec and most of Jan. After you lose a full winter month in Dec, it’s time to adjust forecasts and expectations. Shame on anyone who thought an epic winter was enroute after losing Dec

cff.png

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

we will see in 7-10 days 

Yea I see what you mean. I was more future casting....like if that look comes to fruition and we have subpar results, it’s unlucky. But agree, if the favorable LR ‘look’ becomes not so favorable in the SR, then models just sucked, overshot their load. 

36 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

My winter thoughts are now under review for possible revision...

One of my fundamental assumptions concerned a central Pacific-based El Niño event. The latest weekly ENSO data reveal that the ongoing weak El Niño has largely been and remains a weak basin-wide event. The newest data show a Region 1+2 anomaly of +0.9°C vs. a Region 3.4 anomaly of +0.5°. I am currently reviewing the data for weak basin-wide events and will post any needed update in coming days.

My two ENSO-related assumptions going forward are:

1. The current El Niño event has largely peaked for winter 2018-19 (this doesn't preclude a moderate or stronger El Niño next winter)

2. The current El Niño event will wind up having been a basin-wide event, not a central Pacific-based one

Fyi.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, qg_omega said:

Models clearly showed the MJO going back to 4-5-6, many here discounted it saying its going to be in COD.  That was a mistake:

diagram_40days_forecast_GEFS_member.gif

I don’t believe that had any impact whatsoever.  We ultimately went right into the expected pattern change over the last 1-2 weeks anyway.  It’s just that now we appear to be going cold and dry.  The El Niño never really developed as expected so to anticipate we would continue with an active storm track all winter was a mistake.  I fired the warning shot 2 weeks ago in the NYC forum that I had slight concerns after 1/20 we would go mostly cold and dry 

• Like 1

Just now, SnowGoose69 said:

I don’t believe that had any impact whatsoever.  We ultimately went right into the expected pattern change over the last 1-2 weeks anyway.  It’s just that now we appear to be going cold and dry.  The El Niño never really developed as expected so to anticipate we would continue with an active storm track all winter was a mistake.  I fired the warning shot 2 weeks ago in the NYC forum that I had slight concerns after 1/20 we would go mostly cold and dry 

Cold and dry with. Inches of rain on Thursday ?