Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 12-14, 2019 Storm Discussion STORM MODE

WxUSAF

12 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

It's always possible the transfer can throw a wrench but by the time the shortwave passes through it's pretty squashed. Much of the snow for many happens before the transfer. We probably won't clearly know how its going to work until this time tomorrow

We probably won’t clearly know how it’s going to work until...two weeks from tomorrow. :lol:

• Haha 1

Just now, Chris78 said:

All models have waffled  back and forth but the consensus has pretty much been some where between 2 and 6 inches for last 4 or 5 days. If we end up in that range that's impressive in imho. 

Exactly. I liked seeing 18z bump things up because it gives more cushion to avoid a fail. I said 2 days ago that far NE zones look good for 1-3", all of central md 2-4", and south of the potomac 3-6". The progression has changed but the end result hasn't. We'll seen what the ukie and euro say later. Euro will prob trim a little imho

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

We do unless it shows something we don’t like.  We tend to endorse the best model output but know the worst output will likely verify. Can’t remember the last time the snowiest model was the one that won

Enjoy your 3-5”. If some models were showing a shutout then I’d be concerned of a fail.  It seems 2” would be our low bar which considering where we were a week ago, I’ll happily take even that.  

• Like 1

Just now, nj2va said:

Enjoy your 3-5”. If the some models were showing a shutdown then I’d be concerned of a fail.  It seems 2” would be our low bar which considering where we were a week ago, I’ll happily take even that.  

I will. Snow falling is better than snow accumulated.  To me anyway. Would take 3 inches over 6 hours vice 6 inches over 3 hours.  Sounds insane I know.  

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, nj2va said:

Enjoy your 3-5”. If some models were showing a shutout then I’d be concerned of a fail.  It seems 2” would be our low bar which considering where we were a week ago, I’ll happily take even that.  

I will happily take an inch. Or a half inch. Weather is gonna do what its gonna do regardless of what any particular model says, or what I would like to see. The hammer gets worse the further east you go in this set up. My expectations have remained on the modest side.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

I will happily take an inch. Or a half inch. Weather is gonna do what its gonna do regardless of what any particular model says, or what I would like to see. The hammer gets worse the further east you go in this set up. My expectations have remained on the modest side.

I’m with you.  Hopefully everyone can cash in on something as we look ahead to the (likely) busy period ahead.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, C.A.P.E. said:

The 0z FV3 QPF distribution looks quite similar to the 18z Euro/EPS.

Noticed that just now for some reason(probably because TT is so effing slow). The 0z Euro shall be "telling". lol.

Ha, I thought the same thing earlier when it first came out on NCEP.  Didn’t bother posting since I didn’t want to interrupt the panic.  Adding up the panels on the UKMET looks like about 0.4 or so for DC but I’ll wait for the ‘prettier’ maps for final confirmation.  I fully expect the Euro to hold steady honestly.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nj2va said:

Ha, I thought the same thing earlier when it first came out on NCEP.  Didn’t bother posting since I didn’t want to interrupt the panic.  Adding up the panels on the UKMET looks like about 0.4 or so for DC but I’ll wait for the ‘prettier’ maps for final confirmation.  I fully expect the Euro to hold steady honestly.  

I expect it will probably cut back some, but not appreciably. At least that's my hope. 

3 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

That's good to hear. 2nd best model holds

I know the uk verification scores are good, but it seems the QPF bounces around like a fish out of water without any consistency.  Maybe its highlighted more since it doens’t have ensembles that we analyze too but it seems that each run is up/down with QPF. 

4 minutes ago, nj2va said:

I know the uk verification scores are good, but it seems the QPF bounces around like a fish out of water without any consistency.  Maybe its highlighted more since it doens’t have ensembles that we analyze too but it seems that each run is up/down with QPF. 

Agree in the mid range. It does well short range. Especially with midlevel temps. I've seen it throw a reg flag in the mids in the short range and we ignored it but it was right. Seeing back to back qpf panels look similar (and good) is a good sign

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

RGEM ensemble continues the trend from 12z.  Slightly drier and more south, but overall still good.

phuQtnm.png

There's still a good amount of spread among the members.  The below maps are only for 24 hours, so they don't cover the whole storm. 

xYpKAdN.png

VIZMS5L.png

• Like 1

• WxUSAF locked this topic