Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 12-14, 2019 Storm Discussion STORM MODE

WxUSAF

7 minutes ago, yoda said:

Looks like 18z GFS will be a slight step back... but probably noise

18z gfs actually not a step back. QPF bumped to our south. It’s just not in line with the mesos which are showing the banding structure better imo. It’s what their for in these short lead scenarios so I’ll take their word for it unless reason not to. But gfs is same maybe slight improvement south 

4 minutes ago, snjókoma said:

I don't think 0.25" spread out over 12 hours would amount to 3". 

You can quibble all you want, but GFS is a nice reminder that this was and is a 2-4", despite what the RGEM and NAM want to do.

What about the EURO and FV3 both near or at 0.5" QPF for DCA?

Can we just go with a GFS/NAM blend and call it a day? Not too greedy of a request, and a nice snowfall for almost all! 

Trying not to let the NAM and RGEM get me too amped up, as they are notoriously too wet. GFS, however, is always dry and too flat / SE with shortwaves. A happy medium would do nicely. 

Just now, WxUSAF said:

Nice test for the FV3. 

Was all over the place early this week though.

Yea, way jumpy. Held onto the amped west track waaay too long but once it locked in there hasn't been much run over run variance. Maybe that's a strength? We'll know by the end of the year but the Fv3 seems half decent in the short range. I know the folks in the SE think highly of it in the short range with their big storm. 

4 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

2-4 is nearly a lock for everyone.  Any more is white icing on the snow cake and we won’t really know exactly how things will evolve.  Almost now cast time.  

We all want very thick icing! No skimping! Hopefully Euro delivers a reassuring 5"+ so we can see some more warnings!

2 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Yea, way jumpy. Held onto the amped west track waaay too long but once it locked in there hasn't been much run over run variance. Maybe that's a strength? We'll know by the end of the year but the Fv3 seems half decent in the short range. I know the folks in the SE think highly of it in the short range with their big storm. 

Yeah, kind of noticed that about the FV-3.  Whether that's anecdotal for this season or only looking at specific events, not sure.  I do seem to recall for the December storm, it held on to the idea that the DC/Balt metro areas would be in for moderate to more significant snows for quite some time.  Even after nearly all other guidance was clearly going with a more suppressed solution (including, I think, the currently-operational GFS?).  Then the FV-3 jumped on the suppressed idea finally.  For awhile, it was like a nerve-wracking test of that model for that system...if it continued to hang on to the higher QPF/snow totals here, but we got the suppressed solution in reality, oh boy, that would not have looked good.  Fortunately, we didn't have to worry about in the end...that time!

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic
  • WxUSAF locked this topic