• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
WxUSAF

Let’s go. Getting HYPED!!!

0z tomorrow holds or dare I say is an improvement, and I expect watches to be hoisted at the first available moment they can be 

goodnight guys! Cheers. Hell of a way to kick off a great pattern. PS - 220-240 timeframe on most models is bonkers. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

Dr Maybe said maybe, some of these GFS ensemble members spin up huge amounts of snow out of a very uninspiring looking pattern, what's with number five, thunder-snow or whatever gets the amount up so quickly ... not realistic looking at all ... I hope for the best but would go with 2-4" for now, slightly heavier to south, and all eyes on days 10-11 (full moon is 21st so not surprising to me that a larger event shows up then). I don't see much of a 1993 in it, more like 1899 perhaps. 

Latest EPS stepped back a little. Has shaved totals by roughly an inch off the mean for the DC/Balt corridor. 4 inch line is just tickling DC with amounts decreasing as you go NE to where Jackpot Land, NE MD (wonder where Jackpot boy/girl ever got to?) is firmly within the 2 inch mean. Only three major hits within the ensembles, roughly 20 showing 2 inches or less, the rest showing anywhere from 2 inches to warning criteria snows. Looking at the snowfall distribution suggests that the ensembles suggest the low sliding to our south and for the most part OTS without coastal development quick enough to impact the East Coast. 

The latest from LWX

LONG TERM /SATURDAY THROUGH WEDNESDAY/...
The system we`ve been watching for this weekend appears at the
moment that it will come in 3 phases.

1) Mid/upper jet induced band of (mainly light) snow is likely
Saturday afternoon and evening. This is due to a coupled 250 hPa jet
structure (left exit against right entrance). 850-700 hPa frontal
forcing and mid-level cyclonic vorticity advection pivot across the
area in tandem with this upper jet couplet. This should result in
decent lift and widespread light snow, with embedded moderately
heavy bands possible depending on exactly where the best
juxtaposition and moisture all line up together. General thinking
right now is an advisory level event, with potentially near warning
in any heavier bands or perhaps terrain enhanced areas of snowfall.

2) Surface low develops ahead of southern stream shortwave energy
Sunday east of NC and moves offshore. Where exactly this low
develops and tracks off the coast will determine how far north and
west its precipitation (snow) shield gets. Right now, a track near
Cape Hatteras would suggest southern MD, but the orientation of the
mid-level wave and PVA could draw snow a bit further north toward
the I-95 corridor. Amounts for this wave are more uncertain, but
accumulating snow appears most likely south of the I-70 corridor.

3) Trailing/strung out 500 hPa northern stream wave moves across
Monday. With dry advection in the low levels, any precipitation
would be reliant on lingering mid-level moisture and lift with the
upper low. Isolated snow showers are possible, with the highest
chances over the Allegheny Front.

After the weekend system, high pressure follows for the first part
of next week. Another stout shortwave/clipper-like system approaches
during the middle of the week bringing the next chance of
precipitation. Temperatures look marginally cold at this point, and
precipitation would likely be scattered/showery given current setup.

Thereafter, a significant change in the upper wave pattern over
NAmer seems imminent, with longwave troughing and more persistent
cold possibly encroaching on the eastern CONUS beginning late next
week.

The latest NAm shows pretty well what I have mentioned several times over the last few days and why I haven't been particularly high on this storm with it being at best a 1 to 2 inch type deal (3 inches if you include fluff factor/ratios) for DC and north. The biggest fly in the ointment has been/still is what we are seeing with the NS. 

Below we have the latest NAM run. Notice the feature circled in the NE? That is where the NS is dipping down into the US. When you compare this to the next map (00z GFS) you can see how much farther the height lines are sagging south. What this is doing is squashing the system farther to the south and not allowing it amplify/strengthen. Pretty much a double whammy as the precip shield shifts south with the low and the low is weaker thus not as able to pump moisture over the cold dome of air through the region. Pretty horrible run for our region and if it weren't for some light WAA snows well in advance of the system we would be talking shutout.

00znam.gif.afdc4cd054c75a4f0d49644e9f5e7194.gif

00zgfs.gif.c835a26fe63a56f830088f02f75f4ec1.gif

Now I didn't throw the NAM up because I thought it was right. it is after all at the range and I take nothing it shows serious outside of 24-36 hours. I just threw it up there to show you how important the NS up in the NE is to our snowfall chances. If you go back through the runs the last few days you can pretty much see how our fortunes lie with how that feature sets up and moves (excepting where we see partial or full phases). Solutions that showed not as much sag south or a quicker departing NS were typically our much better solutions as they allowed the southern low to pull farther north and strengthen. Conversely the deeper sagging and/or slower departing solutions were more our duds as the NS acted to squash and weaken everything farther to our south.

I still think there is potential here despite my thoughts on a weaker system. If we can get that NS feature to play nice there is actually some good upside. That is one feature I will be keeping an eye on (between gambling :) ) in the coming runs as the models should start really getting locked into that feature.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, leesburg 04 said:

I just woke up clicked back 4 pages...was like hey that sounds good then the Euro pbp....man Ji you sure have a way with words lol. Hope he doesn't look at the nam....poor guy

Your a better man then me. Had 10+ pages to comb through and just called it quits after reading the first 2.

People South of DC analysis...models looking good holding firm a little north.

People around DC...models are close looks like a decent event as is with room for improvement 

People North of DC...there are so many things that can go wrong.  If this goes this way or if this happens like this nobody gets anything....just keepin it real.

Ji...its a disaster 

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

If we really are still fringed at 48 hours I feel good about our chances. I will worry if there is a shift south today leaving us needing a 100 mile adjustment again. We have seen numerous times how that ends. Congrats richmond EZF and Salisbury 

Sticking with my 1-2 (maybe 3) but that is because I am stubborn more then anything else. :) But I do like what I am seeing so far with the NS not dropping the hammer down as much as I thought we would see. But it doesn't take much in the way of adjustments to that feature to make or break the region and we still have roughly 3 days to go. So I am sure you can do the math.

1 hour ago, DCTeacherman said:

GFS - 6-8

EURO - 2-4

CMC - 6-8

UK - 4-6

ICON - 2-4

EPS - 2-4 

GEFS - 3-6

Am I missing anything?  Seems like we’re locked in for at least a light event. 

Yes. You forgot the NBC 4 Bread O Meter. It was right in the middle at “Grab A Loaf”. LOLz. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Roger Smith said:

Dr Maybe said maybe, some of these GFS ensemble members spin up huge amounts of snow out of a very uninspiring looking pattern, what's with number five, thunder-snow or whatever gets the amount up so quickly ... not realistic looking at all ... I hope for the best but would go with 2-4" for now, slightly heavier to south, and all eyes on days 10-11 (full moon is 21st so not surprising to me that a larger event shows up then). I don't see much of a 1993 in it, more like 1899 perhaps. 

I’m ok with a smaller event, but am also looking forward to next weekend (20-21). Isn’t 1899 the top DC snowstorm? 

1 hour ago, Woodbridge02 said:

This would be acceptable... but it's all from the Coastal which makes me a little worried. We've lost all of the safe bet initial precip. 

gfs_asnow_neus_19.png

Don’t agree believe WAA light snow will morph into heavier snow as coastal takes over.  This looks like a Miller B that can work for us because of the blocking confluence.  Would take this over a fast moving Miller A.  The only thing keeping this from being better is weak sauce low pressure.  I am excited for my backyard and yours...and my neighbor Wonderdog

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic