joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Memory Lane

Rjay

17 minutes ago, Rjay said:

Here's a forum fav

NWS-NYC-snowfall-forecast-map-through-07AM-EST-28Jan2015.JPG

I remember that. I was mostly hanging out in the Upstate NY forum then since I was in Ithaca but I lurked here when it looked like this would become an HECS. I remember  a 0z NAM run 36 hours out or so that gave most of NNJ and the LHV 40"+. Easily the worst bust I've seen since I didn't follow the weather closely in March 2001 (although I do remember watching Local on the 8's and having my totals in Allentown slashed throughout that Sunday before the storm). 

The worst bust I ever experienced personally was January 2014 in Ithaca. It was a rare major snyoptic storm in upstate NY, and the Finger Lakes were, for once, the jackpot zone in all of the models. 16-20", and from how the storm was overperforming in the midwest it seemed like 2 feet was within reach. Every model was on board the night before, with the exception of the old RAP (I think) which had the heaviest snow sliding south, although it was still giving me 8-10". I went to bed expecting to wake up to heavy snow and no classes. When I woke up I heard a car passing on the road outside, and it sounded like it was driving through slush rather than compacted snow as you would expect in a big storm. Sure enough, when I looked outside we had 2 inches of pixie dust and a slushy coating on all the roads, with light snow falling. As it turned out, the RAP was right about the track, and a deathband had set up over an Oneonta-Binghamton-Elmira axis that ended up dropping 24-30" along most of the I-88 corridor. The subsidence from that band killed us and Ithaca ended up with 6", which was pretty much the lowest amount anyone in Upstate got from that storm (areas to the west cashed in more since the deathband hadn't set up yet and there was less subsidence, and areas to the north got lake enhancement and were north of the worst subsidence). Probably my worst weather memory.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

lol I loved that too.  Hit 104 here on the south shore that July.  Down in Baltimore where the weather conference was happening it hit 105.  And 108 in Newark!  One of these years they'll hit 110 during a mega heat wave.

I hit 105 in Queens, highest temperature I’ve ever experienced.

Newark (and maybe LGA) is definitely going to hit 110 one of these days. Old Bridge, NJ hit 110 back in 1936.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cfa said:

I hit 105 in Queens, highest temperature I’ve ever experienced.

Newark (and maybe LGA) is definitely going to hit 110 one of these days. Old Bridge, NJ hit 110 back in 1936.

Could you imagine if that July 1936 heatwave had happened in summer now? It would have been widespread 110+ all across the city and metro NJ and maybe even western Long Island!

Were you near JFK on that day?

8 minutes ago, BxEngine said:

96, boxing day, the retrostorm, pd2. 

And the storm a few years ago when it was snowing at about 1 or 2 degrees for hours. Best jebwalk i ever took. 

The retrostorm of 2010 was great.

I had 4 inches here in the morning before it turned to rain during the afternoon then turned back to snow and it came down hard with thunder.

I lost power for a little.

7 hours ago, Rjay said:

If anyone has anything good from the Feb 13th, 2014 insane front-end dump they should post it

I enjoyed that one.  14" here and we never got above freezing on north central LI.  I remember being called a liar when I said we had freezing rain here while it was plain rain in OC.  I still don't really understand how we got stuck in that bubble, but it was pretty cool.

I stitched together some video (a little accuwx and Craig audio in the background) and a few stills...Here ya go:

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, NorthShoreWx said:

I enjoyed that one.  14" here and we never got above freezing on north central LI.  I remember being called a liar when I said we had freezing rain here while it was plain rain in OC.  I still don't really understand how we got stuck in that bubble, but it was pretty cool.

I stitched together some video (a little accuwx and Craig audio in the background) and a few stills...Here ya go:

meh...it snowed about 9" and then rained for 12 hours...Not one of my favorite storms...it did end as a few inches of snow...photo from the morning after the storm...

001.JPG

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

I cant help but think that storm set the tone for the next 5 weeks.  Sometimes you wonder, does the pattern make the storm or does the storm make the pattern? In that case I think it was both.  If that storm hadn't happened, I dont think we get our historic month in January either.  As you might recall, the LR forecasts for that winter weren't for a lot of snow and we had already had the cold for a couple of weeks and whiffed on a couple of storms so people were frustrated and the "no December snow" analogs were being rolled out for how bad a winter can be in a La Nina when it doesn't snow at least 3 inches in December.  And then look what happened- we blasted right past 3 inches lol.

I famously told my colleagues it was going out to sea....

1 hour ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

No mention of feb 5/6 2010?

that was a mind boggling bad luck storm for us. Has to be the number one dissipointment of all time 

I wasn't in the bullseye for any storm that year, but the 2/6 was insane because 30 mins away they had 18-20, and I was progged to get 8-12. Got 3. Drove the kids to the Camden Aquarium that Sunday, so the kids could see how much snow it got. We had the run of the place, they were open for business. Later that summer I was visited the DC zoo and the Cape May zoo, both had sustained damage from the "snowstorms" ( plural ) that winter; My biggest storm was the Dec 09 one that year at 10 inches.