Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Banter 2019

George BM

17 minutes ago, H2O said:

I'm all for freely discussing most anything.  And here comes the inevitable BUT, but the danger is with how polarized things have become lately politically, once pandora's box is opened wrt talking that stuff here it muddies up what most of us are here to discuss which is weather.

There is no question that what is going on right now affects many here.  The shutdown is real and the DMV area probably has a higher % of gov't workers affected than many other places.  And if part of the games our politicians are playing affects our wx forecasting services then it will no doubt cause a reaction here.  

It like that old adage of when at a party the 3 things you aren't supposed to discuss are age, religion and politics.  I would prefer not to deal with it here and only ask that if it is mentioned then we don't clutter the main threads with it.  Nothing good will come of it as I can guarantee that people here have differing opinions and none of us are in a position to change whats going on except every first Tuesday in November.

Shutdown??? I thought they were on strike. :ph34r:

42 minutes ago, mappy said:

if you feel like joining the fray though, you are welcome to do so here. 

http://www.americanpol.com/

it is this websites political subforum. it used to be part of this site years ago, but was broken off after 2016. you will probably see some familiar faces. 

FYI: its not really moderated, other than way over the line stuff. So enter at your own risk. :) 

ick

Thought I'd bring this up to give a little more hope for our chances (someone ninja'd me in the other thread last night in mentioning this, lol)

Take a look the years of those shutdowns

Government shutdowns...particularly the lengthier ones like this one...have often precluded big winters here. In fact...the last time we had a December to January shutdown? 1995-96...lol

The usual caution with correlation vs. causation, but...ya know :weenie:

And the last 4 shutdowns that lasted 12 days or more? All climo+ years (two of which contained blizzards, lol)

DwXDfTlXQAAsJCg.jpeg

5 minutes ago, caviman2201 said:

I really don't see the value in model play-by-play for a model everyone has access to see... for the Euro its one thing, but for the GFS?

can only speak for myself, but i appreciate it. I'm at work and check quickly to see what the model did without needing open the model. 

21 minutes ago, mappy said:

can only speak for myself, but i appreciate it. I'm at work and check quickly to see what the model did without needing open the model. 

I guess I can see that... maybe for me I just find it easier to pull up TT on my phone real quick and loop through it.  Reading the forum can be more confusing with all the bad PBP and "analysis" than just looking at the model real quick.

Just now, caviman2201 said:

I guess I can see that... maybe for me I just find it easier to pull up TT on my phone real quick and loop through it.  Reading the forum can be more confusing with all the bad PBP and "analysis" than just looking at the model real quick.

gotta know who to read and who to skip over ;) 

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Let's have more discussion on what officially constitutes a "trend" and why we probably aren't getting a 12-18" snowstorm.  I'm still not clear on those points.  

The only 100% clear trend is that if you once worked for Mike Shananhan as a young assistant you will get a head coaching job.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic