Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Banter 2019

George BM

3 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Yeah, that’s what I meant lol. I’m not as excited for this movie as others but I trust Marvel so much at this point.

I liked the trailers I've seen.  Not overly enthused with the character. Nor the prominence she gets right off the bat, but the movie has me interested.

I liked the trailers I've seen.  Not overly enthused with the character. Nor the prominence she gets right off the bat, but the movie has me interested.

Yep, the one thing Marvel could do to totally lose me is make her the thing that defeats Thanos. Maybe it’ll feel earned in the moment, but it would feel too much like a deus ex machina.

Just now, yoda said:

Seeing Alabama being taken behind the woodshed and destroyed makes me happy 

Amen!  As I said, my mantra is "ABB" (anybody but 'Bama!)!  I am honestly surprised how badly Clemson is trashing them right now.  I expected a high scoring game from these teams, but either team leading by 28 points in the 4th quarter?  Didn't count on that.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

Wow...when's the last time Alabama gave up that many points?  They're lucky Clemson didn't just go for 50 total, and instead ran out the clock on the last play.

They said this is the worse loss in Saban's career.  His previous worse loss was by 14 - in his career.  Expected it to be much closer than this, even after the opening interception for a touchdown.  Somewhere in the 2nd quarter you could see the look in the Bama players eyes - "uh ok, we're in trouble" and Clemson just poured it on. 

Just an observation but it seems like politics is starting to sneak into the conversations. Nothing too blatant at this point but it is just a matter of time. Do what you all want but I myself would prefer not to see the boards go all to hell during what looks to be a very promising period moving in. God knows we are dealing with the political divisions within this country 24/7 already so I would like a place to escape to where we can all be friends and enjoy a common shared passion. Just my 2 cents worth.

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

Just an observation but it seems like politics is starting to sneak into the conversations. Nothing too blatant at this point but it is just a matter of time. Do what you all want but I myself would prefer not to see the boards go all to hell during what looks to be a very promising period moving in. God knows we are dealing with the political divisions within this country 24/7 already so I would like a place to escape to where we can all be friends and enjoy a common shared passion. Just my 2 cents worth.

Perhaps since the government shutdown is affecting some weather resources...politics and weather are overlapping in the conversations?

• Like 1

I don't get jealous over other people's snow its just not in my DNA. I don't desire to be the bullseye I just want to be invited to the party. When I said during the lead up to the December storm that maybe this is a Richmond to Raleigh 09-10 winter I was being serious.  I still think that is the case...what I want to see now is that we get some non soggy chips and dip without hair in it

• Like 2

4 hours ago, showmethesnow said:

Yeah, its a slippery slope right now with this. Govt shutdown impacts models and it gets discussed. Will have to hope people just keep it civil and if discussed, to do so only about the model itself and nothing more. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, showmethesnow said:

I haven't really notice overt political comments in the discussions here, but I agree with you.  I've certainly got my own very definite opinions on...how to word it diplomatically?..."current events", but I do try to separate that from discussions on this weather forum.  Maybe a light comment here or there if it's relevant or for some humor, but even here in the banter thread, I normally try not to get into political opinions that much.  (OK, "political" opinions on the Alabama-Clemson game last night don't count!! :lol:)

As others have already alluded to, I think some of the politics creeping in lately is due to the shutdown and any impacts that may have on forecasts or the models as the shutdown continues.  Hopefully we can all just keep it to the weather.  If we can get a solid event that doesn't evaporate (ahem...this weekend...ahem!), that would probably keep most political commentary at bay!

3 minutes ago, anotherman said:

It's not even allowed in banter?  If we just avoid talking about our problems as a country they will continue to get worse.

I'm all for freely discussing most anything.  And here comes the inevitable BUT, but the danger is with how polarized things have become lately politically, once pandora's box is opened wrt talking that stuff here it muddies up what most of us are here to discuss which is weather.

There is no question that what is going on right now affects many here.  The shutdown is real and the DMV area probably has a higher % of gov't workers affected than many other places.  And if part of the games our politicians are playing affects our wx forecasting services then it will no doubt cause a reaction here.  

It like that old adage of when at a party the 3 things you aren't supposed to discuss are age, religion and politics.  I would prefer not to deal with it here and only ask that if it is mentioned then we don't clutter the main threads with it.  Nothing good will come of it as I can guarantee that people here have differing opinions and none of us are in a position to change whats going on except every first Tuesday in November.

10 minutes ago, anotherman said:

It's not even allowed in banter?  If we just avoid talking about our problems as a country they will continue to get worse.

No we prefer not to openly discuss politics here in the weather subforums. 

1 minute ago, anotherman said:

Ok

if you feel like joining the fray though, you are welcome to do so here. 

http://www.americanpol.com/

it is this websites political subforum. it used to be part of this site years ago, but was broken off after 2016. you will probably see some familiar faces. 

FYI: its not really moderated, other than way over the line stuff. So enter at your own risk. :) 

9 minutes ago, anotherman said:

Didn't there used to be a "political roundtable" forum?  Does that even exist anymore?  I ventured in there a couple of times in the past, but I think it requires a separate account/login beyond your AmWX one to post anything.  I've been in there before, never really commented but did read some.  It was interesting, but man, did it get crazy and out of hand at times...even for opinions and views I agree with!

Agree to an extent that sure, banter would be the most appropriate place for some political discussion, but wouldn't want it to devolve into ugly arguments in any direction.  Fine line, and perhaps a slippery slope as Mappy alluded to above.

4 minutes ago, H2O said:

I'm all for freely discussing most anything.  And here comes the inevitable BUT, but the danger is with how polarized things have become lately politically, once pandora's box is opened wrt talking that stuff here it muddies up what most of us are here to discuss which is weather.

There is no question that what is going on right now affects many here.  The shutdown is real and the DMV area probably has a higher % of gov't workers affected than many other places.  And if part of the games our politicians are playing affects our wx forecasting services then it will no doubt cause a reaction here.  

It like that old adage of when at a party the 3 things you aren't supposed to discuss are age, religion and politics.  I would prefer not to deal with it here and only ask that if it is mentioned then we don't clutter the main threads with it.  Nothing good will come of it as I can guarantee that people here have differing opinions and none of us are in a position to change whats going on except every first Tuesday in November.

You get my vote H2O.  Oh wait, the mention of "vote" could be construed as having political connotations....    But seriously, I fully agree. 

37 minutes ago, leesburg 04 said:

I don't get jealous over other people's snow its just not in my DNA. I don't desire to be the bullseye I just want to be invited to the party. When I said during the lead up to the December storm that maybe this is a Richmond to Raleigh 09-10 winter I was being serious.  I still think that is the case...what I want to see now is that we get some non soggy chips and dip without hair in it

Given the advertised look this is possible and I mentioned this as well. That said, its hard to imagine that every event is going to target the S MA/SE with a wicked cutoff. Weak Ninos tend to favor Miller B/hybrids, so given that, an active NS with a displaced TPV and strong blocking could also work out ok for us, and maybe screw NE more than usual.

Just now, C.A.P.E. said:

Given the advertised look this is possible and I mentioned this as well. That said, its hard to imagine that every event is going to target the S MA/SE with a wicked cutoff. Weak Ninos tend to favor Miller B/hybrids, so given that, an active NS with a displaced TPV and strong blocking could also work out ok for us, and maybe screw NE more than usual.

The waiting is the hardest part

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic