Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Banter 2019

George BM

2 hours ago, supernovasky said:

Eagles gotta get through the Superdome first.

Looking forward to this game @psuhoffman

I would definitely pick the saints but it will be a better game. Our defense is playing much better. Some is the replacements getting used to the system. They were all brand new when you saw us back in mid season and Avonte Maddox and Darren Soroles coming back along with the offensive line getting healthy was huge. Plus Foles is just playing much better than Wentz was. Right now Foles is just a better QB. Wentz has huge upside long term. Tough choice coming. If Foles wins another SB that would make the choice for them I guess. 

But I suspect a rested at home saints team is pretty close to a brick wall next week but I suspect Foles and the defense will put up more of a fight this time.  

2 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Due respect to Wentz who is an excellent quarterback, but Nick Foles is a much better fit with this Eagles team. I think they can win next week...

I agree. I love both. Ideally we could keep both. But I think letting Foles go will be a mistake. He just wins. He is money late in big games. I can't remember a time he didn't get it done when they needed a late score. I can remember so many games going back to his first run in 2013 where he scored late to win a game. The only losses I can remember are times he left with the lead and the defense couldn't hold it like almost tonight. 

Wentz could become that too. But he has injury issues and why would you pass on someone that has now proven to be the guy that can win big games. That's what your looking for right. Why take a chance on someone that might be the guy when you found someone why is. 

That said Wentz is really good and has HOF potential so I get the hesitancy to move on. It's going to be a really hard decision to make this offseason. 

Only way they win next week is if Foles plays like he did in the super bowl. 

28 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

But I suspect a rested at home saints team is pretty close to a brick wall next week but I suspect Foles and the defense will put up more of a fight this time.

Rest is good, but I have seen so many times where teams that had the bye came out flat, or at least flat enough to fall to a team which came in to the playoffs hot.  That red-hot Eagles are exactly the kind of match-up which I would look to knock off the Saints.

Unbelievable end to Bears Philly game - FGA to win hit the goal post and then crossbar and didn't go through.  UFB....   poor kicker for the Chicago is the proverbial Charlie Brown goat... 

Edit - just read the other comments about the game from a few hours ago.  Thought I was watching it live.  Guess it was recorded from earlier.  God I'm getting old....  

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Bob Chill said:

Unlikely to happen but i'm rooting for SD. I loved Fouts, Chandler, Joiner, Kelcher etc. The chargers we're a common 4pm game after the skins so i grew into a fan. Defense sucked so they could barely win playoff games. Lol

I've always liked Rivers so imo he deserves to play in the SB before he retires. Long shot but 2 wins away. 

Father has lived out in SD since I was young so SD has always been my second team after any Baltimore team. Fun to watch years back when they earned the nickname Air Coryell. Actually lived out there when they had their ill fated trip to the SB. Fun season but a heart breaker at the end.

8 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

I would definitely pick the saints but it will be a better game. Our defense is playing much better. Some is the replacements getting used to the system. They were all brand new when you saw us back in mid season and Avonte Maddox and Darren Soroles coming back along with the offensive line getting healthy was huge. Plus Foles is just playing much better than Wentz was. Right now Foles is just a better QB. Wentz has huge upside long term. Tough choice coming. If Foles wins another SB that would make the choice for them I guess. 

Agreed it will be a better game. Generally teams coming off an emotional finish to a game tend to be flat the next week. I doubt coaching and team leadership let's that happen but it is certainly historically possible. 

I feel bad for the kicker.

Fell off my chair when I saw that last night.  Even though the zone defense from the Bears held Foles in check Eagles did well. 

Did you hear that the zone defense is the one that gives Foles the most issues. What defense does the Saints play ? 

I almost think we have a chance against them.

1 hour ago, frd said:

Fell off my chair when I saw that last night.  Even though the zone defense from the Bears held Foles in check Eagles did well. 

Did you hear that the zone defense is the one that gives Foles the most issues. What defense does the Saints play

They generally play man coverage but when they get out to a decent lead they slip into zone. They havent played behind alot of the season so it seems like zone is their coverage scheme of choice but it really isnt. 

1 hour ago, frd said:

Did you hear that the zone defense is the one that gives Foles the most issues. What defense does the Saints play ? 

Doesnt matter what defense the Saints play. Brees will destroy that pathetic Eagles secondary. The Eagles will need to score 40 points to win. Aint happening.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Agreed it will be a better game. Generally teams coming off an emotional finish to a game tend to be flat the next week. I doubt coaching and team leadership let's that happen but it is certainly historically possible. 

Yes I was thinking that after the game...but USUALLY in my opinion a lot of those teams that win in a crazy way just weren't that good and as the competition steps up they are likely to lose playing a better team the next week.  So there is that...  of course you could say the Eagles fit that description also, last year aside this season they were only a 9-7 team that got hot late but certainly not the quality of the Saints all year and are going on the road after a few exhausting weeks of playing must win games and playing a rested team.  So all the intangibles are on the side of the Saints.  

5 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Doesnt matter what defense the Saints play. Brees will destroy that pathetic Eagles secondary. The Eagles will need to score 40 points to win. Aint happening.

Might be another outcome if we had better corner backs. 

8 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I agree the Eagles will need to score a LOT to win...maybe not 40 though because of the way the Eagles move the ball.  They eat up a huge amount of time...they don't make many big yardage plays and their drives eat time and they do it on purpose to avoid exposing their secondary more than necessary.  So if the Eagles are moving the ball and scoring the Saint's wont be able to put up 40 points, not because the Eagles defense is stopping them but simply because there won't be that many possessions in the game.  The last matchup got out of hand because the Eagles offense wasn't doing anything, and worse Wentz got rattled and started throwing balls up for grabs and threw 3 interceptions that only piled onto the bad situation.  

I could certainly see this game getting ugly and out of hand.  But if the Eagles are moving the ball with 13 play 8 minute drives...they would only need to score about 30-35 to win the game.  As for how likely that is...not very, but neither was them putting up 41 in the super bowl so I am done betting against them.  

ETA: turns out the kick last night was tipped at the line.  Can't remember another team I followed that makes more "have to" plays at the end of games than this team the last 2 seasons.  Of course I haven't followed any championship teams that closely before so maybe that is just normal for a really good team.  

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic