Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Banter 2019

George BM

11 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

It's always like that. Was there for 10 days and felt like we didn't scratch the surface. We plan on going to Ireland next and go for 2 weeks. 2 weeks seems long but as we plan our itinerary it's obvious that 2 weeks will barely scratch the surface there. 

Did go to Ireland, that was a very nice trip. My wife's friend lives there, so she was our tour guide. Made the trip less stressful. 

4 hours ago, MillvilleWx said:

The Italian Alps are no joke. Might actually be the greatest snow spot on Earth. I have a friend stationed in Ramstein, Germany as a Weather Officer. He frequents the Alps and he said the snow they get there is astonishing. Pure powder too. They've had 500" winters out that way. Spectacular and a place I would love to visit one day. 

Ahhh - the memories.  Lived in Germany nearly 7 years at 3 different times - am Germanic my heritage and speak enough to get by.  Skied somewhere in the Alps nearly every weekend each winter my first stint 88-91.  Had an exchange student from Switzerland when I was growing up in Ohio and through her I met a lot of folks in Switzerland.  Skied all over CH (digraph for Switzerland), Austria, France and to a lesser amount into Italy.  Used to be a die hard tele-mark skier and did a lot of backcountry.  Hopefully that establishes some bona-fides. 

In general the snow in the Alps CAN be good.  It can also vary a lot during one snow and can change dramatically with altitude and quickly in a short period of time.  I've never skied much out west in the US - just one time at Squaw Valley and have to say it was disappointing compared to many resorts in the alps - smallish by comparison and not very challenging.  The snow was good quality though.  

From what I've gathered talking to a lot of skiers who have the experience to compare, the snow in the USA west is nominally better quality than the Alps if you like the light fluffy stuff, which many skiers do.  That said, the Alps win hands down on terrain,  vertical and the freedom to go where you want (with caveats). 

In the Alps the quality of the snow is often driven by the far greater amount of vertical compared to the US.  That can bring with it an amazing difference in temperatures and snow conditions.  By most accounts, the max vertical in N. America is Jackson Hole or Whistler BC at around 4000'.  In Zermatt, Switzerland you can ski 8500 feet of vertical in one run from the Klein Matterhorn down to town.  That's 8500 feet of vertical in one run.  Do that 2x in one day and you've done something.  Mt. Blanc in Chamonix, France has a similar amount of vertical.  That 8500 feet of vertical can bring with it an amazing temp difference along with a multitude of different snow conditions.  At altitude the snow can be so light it's almost like depth hoar (with temps sub 0F) while at the same time the snow near the bottom is thick as concrete with temps in the 40's.  That's especially true in Mar/April with sun angle depending on which direction the slope faces you are on.  

Been in Zermatt before when they got 3+ meters in 3 days just above town - in town had "only" about 2 meters.  Had a similar experience in the next valley to the east where Saas Fee is.  3+ meters in 3 days.  It was too much snow to ski in if you can imagine the concept.  Took 4+ hours to make down one relatively short run.  The snow was so deep and light the snow cats couldn't groom.  With a slight crust on top people would break through and literally disappear into the depths of white.  Those without powder straps were in a dire situation and many skis were lost.  Being on telemark skis was a big plus because they don't release.  Many skiers had to take off their skis, lay on them and try to swim down the slope to the lift station to ride down.  What was funny at first eventually became a serious recovery mission for the ski patrol.  Some skiers at higher elevations were evacuated by helicopter.  Was a stark lesson on the reality of having too much snow, at least for skiing.  

If you have a chance to ski the Alps, and have good snow, you'll not be disappointed.  The vertical and length of runs and on piste dining options are amazing.  Cheers.

• Like 3

Ahhh - the memories.  Lived in Germany nearly 7 years at 3 different times - am Germanic my heritage and speak enough to get by.  Skied somewhere in the Alps nearly every weekend each winter my first stint 88-91.  Had an exchange student from Switzerland when I was growing up in Ohio and through her I met a lot of folks in Switzerland.  Skied all over CH (digraph for Switzerland), Austria, France and to a lesser amount into Italy.  Used to be a die hard tele-mark skier and did a lot of backcountry.  Hopefully that establishes some bona-fides. 
In general the snow in the Alps CAN be good.  It can also vary a lot during one snow and can change dramatically with altitude and quickly in a short period of time.  I've never skied much out west in the US - just one time at Squaw Valley and have to say it was disappointing compared to many resorts in the alps - smallish by comparison and not very challenging.  The snow was good quality though.  
From what I've gathered talking to a lot of skiers who have the experience to compare, the snow in the USA west is nominally better quality than the Alps if you like the light fluffy stuff, which many skiers do.  That said, the Alps win hands down on terrain,  vertical and the freedom to go where you want (with caveats). 
In the Alps the quality of the snow is often driven by the far greater amount of vertical compared to the US.  That can bring with it an amazing difference in temperatures and snow conditions.  By most accounts, the max vertical in N. America is Jackson Hole or Whistler BC at around 4000'.  In Zermatt, Switzerland you can ski 8500 feet of vertical in one run from the Klein Matterhorn down to town.  That's 8500 feet of vertical in one run.  Do that 2x in one day and you've done something.  Mt. Blanc in Chamonix, France has a similar amount of vertical.  That 8500 feet of vertical can bring with it an amazing temp difference along with a multitude of different snow conditions.  At altitude the snow can be so light it's almost like depth hoar (with temps sub 0F) while at the same time the snow near the bottom is thick as concrete with temps in the 40's.  That's especially true in Mar/April with sun angle depending on which direction the slope faces you are on.  
Been in Zermatt before when they got 3+ meters in 3 days just above town - in town had "only" about 2 meters.  Had a similar experience in the next valley to the east where Saas Fee is.  3+ meters in 3 days.  It was too much snow to ski in if you can imagine the concept.  Took 4+ hours to make down one relatively short run.  The snow was so deep and light the snow cats couldn't groom.  With a slight crust on top people would break through and literally disappear into the depths of white.  Those without powder straps were in a dire situation and many skis were lost.  Being on telemark skis was a big plus because they don't release.  Many skiers had to take off their skis, lay on them and try to swim down the slope to the lift station to ride down.  What was funny at first eventually became a serious recovery mission for the ski patrol.  Some skiers at higher elevations were evacuated by helicopter.  Was a stark lesson on the reality of having too much snow, at least for skiing.  
If you have a chance to ski the Alps, and have good snow, you'll not be disappointed.  The vertical and length of runs and on piste dining options are amazing.  Cheers.

Amazing! Thanks for sharing. I def want to explore the Alps at some point in my lifetime. My wife wants to as well. Someday it’ll happen!

2 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

Amazing! Thanks for sharing. I def want to explore the Alps at some point in my lifetime. My wife wants to as well. Someday it’ll happen!

Thank you and you're very welcome.  Happy to help with some ideas on where to go, where to avoid, etc when the time comes.  Either here for the benefit of all or offline, whichever you'd like.  

One thing for sure, CH is $$$.  They've still not joined the EU and have retained the Swiss Franc.  Very forward leaning in some ways, but can be extremely conservative too.  They have some practices that would boggle the mind.  For instance, many municipalities still require mandatory attendance at the annual town meeting to vote on municipal issues - either by hand or verbally.  Everyone gets to see how everyone else votes.  An interesting concept...

I hit many resorts in CH, D, A, F and I (digraphs) with the Fkt Intl Ski Club, but also took the insider's track with friends, including German and Swiss locals with the scoop on where to go and not go.  My Swiss sister (the exchange student) grew up and lived right in the thick of the southern Swiss Alps.  Her dad is a retired train engineer on the Glacier Express, which is one of the most famous railways in the world.  I used to sit in his engine with him to ride from Tasch, CH to Zermatt.  Have to leave your car in Tasch as there's not automobiles allowed in Zermatt other than the ambulance to minimize pollution.  Even the trash trucks in Zermatt are battery operated.    

Here's some background for starters on Zermatt, which is near the top of my list of most beautiful places in the world and I've seen many having lived in 5 different countries...  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zermatt  The view of the Matterhorn is breathtaking the first time and never gets old.  About the only more memorable place I've skied is the top of Mt. Fuji in Japan on a crystal clear day (with telemark skis).  

I prefer to avoid the mainstream tourist places, although Zermatt is one of them.  Where possible, I looked for ways to get off the beaten path and hook up with the locals.  That can be a challenge, but very rewarding when you "get there".  

• Like 1

Thank you and you're very welcome.  Happy to help with some ideas on where to go, where to avoid, etc when the time comes.  Either here for the benefit of all or offline, whichever you'd like.  
One thing for sure, CH is $$$.  They've still not joined the EU and have retained the Swiss Franc.  Very forward leaning in some ways, but can be extremely conservative too.  They have some practices that would boggle the mind.  For instance, many municipalities still require mandatory attendance at the annual town meeting to vote on municipal issues - either by hand or verbally.  Everyone gets to see how everyone else votes.  An interesting concept...
I hit many resorts in CH, D, A, F and I (digraphs) with the Fkt Intl Ski Club, but also took the insider's track with friends, including German and Swiss locals with the scoop on where to go and not go.  My Swiss sister (the exchange student) grew up and lived right in the thick of the southern Swiss Alps.  Her dad is a retired train engineer on the Glacier Express, which is one of the most famous railways in the world.  I used to sit in his engine with him to ride from Tasch, CH to Zermatt.  Have to leave your car in Tasch as there's not automobiles allowed in Zermatt other than the ambulance to minimize pollution.  Even the trash trucks in Zermatt are battery operated.    
Here's some background for starters on Zermatt, which is near the top of my list of most beautiful places in the world and I've seen many having lived in 5 different countries...  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zermatt  The view of the Matterhorn is breathtaking the first time and never gets old.  About the only more memorable place I've skied is the top of Mt. Fuji in Japan on a crystal clear day (with telemark skis).  
I prefer to avoid the mainstream tourist places, although Zermatt is one of them.  Where possible, I looked for ways to get off the beaten path and hook up with the locals.  That can be a challenge, but very rewarding when you "get there".  

Blown away. I hope I can have 1/3 of the experience you’ve had in traveling. Switzerland is a beautiful country. They really take care of their land.

1 hour ago, WxWatcher007 said:

@RDM I love your posts. 

Thank you.  I'm humbled and appreciate it.  Don't post that much as evidenced by this being post #508.  But as an avid/voracious reader here and on Eastern before since the late 90's, I've learned a lot from you and the other leaders.  If my occasional story helps entertain, I'm happy to oblige.

Been very lucky in my career to live in and travel to many places abroad and experience some of the best mother nature can muster.  From the aforementioned events in the Alps, to incredible heat (53C) and monsoons in India, to torrents of rain in Thailand, blizzards in New Zealand, and 60'+ snowfalls in Japan, it's been a heck of a ride.

Edit:  (forgot to mention)  Speaking of snow...   the snow quality and quantity on the western shore of Honshu in Japan (the main/biggest island) may be the best anyplace on earth.  Not only do they get a ton of it.  The type of snow is heavenly for alpine sports.  It's light, but not too light with just the right fluff and roll factor an avid skier dreams about.  

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

Blown away. I hope I can have 1/3 of the experience you’ve had in traveling. Switzerland is a beautiful country. They really take care of their land.

Indeed - it's beyond postcard stunning and I miss it.  If you are fortunate enough to own property, taking care of one's land is not just a responsibility, it's a civic duty we can't fully relate to here.  If you don't uphold the social expectations, there will be a social beat down with significant repercussions.  There's other elements to living there that may surprise some...

Mandatory military service, rules out the ying yang, and a hidden protocol for about everything.  I'm not knocking it, because I really love Germany, Switzerland and the people (forget France - they are not included here).  Those who live in the Alps especially are as proud and hardy as they come.  However, there's a facade that most visitors see and then another side that's not readily visible nor accessible unless you have an inside angle to it.  And this applies to one degree or another to Switzerland, Germany and Austria, although each country mades fun of the other two (it's really funny to listen to their banter about each other). Had many a deep philosophical discussion about a multitude of topics with my Swiss and German friends about life there that opened my eyes in countless ways.  Many of those discussions also helped me realize and appreciate just how free and lucky we are here in the USA in ways most Americans take for granted.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

I agree with previous posts today about snowmaps and their limited usefulness but i really like meteogram output. Gives a concise snapshot of statistical probability at longer leads, timing of the potential event and also gives a defined range of possibilities. 

18z gefs meteo shows a majority of at least a trace but only 3 decent hits. Best chance we've had by far since early Dec though

h7cfrAl.png

Or maybe your just so square you like your snow maps to be in graph form. 

2 hours ago, losetoa6 said:

Nice!!! I can't even get out of Westminster lol. Been working 7 days a week and in strungout shape but PBR's and Yuengling's are taking the edge off:D

Been drinking this DFH IPA available only on tap for now- it is so awesome. Hopefully they will bottle it at some point. Damn, is it good. Drinking it at Chesapeake & Maine. Here is the description-

Compellingly Mellowdious IPA marries the intensity of a classic American IPA with the heady, herbal sensations of Dogfish Head Distilling Co.'s line of off-centered gins. Brewed from barley, wheat and rye, and spiced with Cascade and Simcoe hops, this beer's got layers upon layers of complexity from the addition of a unique blend of botanicals ... including juniper, coriander, orange peel and green cardamom. The result is a singular drinking experience that evokes fine gin cocktails and a boatload of good times. The beer's ample aroma and dry, clean finish are an appetizing lead-in to the many memorable sips that follow!

7 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Been drinking this DFH IPA available only on tap for now- it is so awesome. Hopefully they will bottle it at some point. Damn, is it good. Drinking it at Chesapeake & Maine. Here is the description-

Compellingly Mellowdious IPA marries the intensity of a classic American IPA with the heady, herbal sensations of Dogfish Head Distilling Co.'s line of off-centered gins. Brewed from barley, wheat and rye, and spiced with Cascade and Simcoe hops, this beer's got layers upon layers of complexity from the addition of a unique blend of botanicals ... including juniper, coriander, orange peel and green cardamom. The result is a singular drinking experience that evokes fine gin cocktails and a boatload of good times. The beer's ample aroma and dry, clean finish are an appetizing lead-in to the many memorable sips that follow!

I had dinner at Chesapeake & Maine back in June when I was in Rehoboth for a week with some friends...really great place. Loved the vibe of it and had a great beer selection.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, nj2va said:

I had dinner at Chesapeake & Maine back in June when I was in Rehoboth for a week with some friends...really great place. Loved the vibe of it and had a great beer selection.

Yes great vibe. Love C&M and the DFH Brew Pub next door. Great beers and really good food at both places.

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic