Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 8-10, 2018 Winter Storm

Orangeburgwx

10 minutes ago, Buddy1987 said:

GFS is doing something wonky with the low at 168. It’s like it has convective feedback issues and has it haul ass from 162-168, like it is trying to have the low over that area of convection well off the coast.

I'm wondering if convective feedback isn't an issue earlier on in texas causing the low to be too far north there initially. Euro has the heavy convection quite a bit further south near the tx coast. Gfs  also seems to travel south of due east from there, which would be unusual. 

I think what this shows is that there is very little margin for error south of nc with any adjustments to the north likely resulting in ice or rain. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Queencitywx said:

It sorta reminds me of seeing a storm getting captured at the benchmark in New England.

It starts to run into that confluence over the NE, then it just slides east.  Sometimes when we have this type of setup, the wave is just too weak in the southern stream and it gets shredded.  With this one, it shows signs of being a quality El Nino wave.  We want the NE confluence to hold firm, but with a wave that is solid like this one so that it holds its amplitude and strength

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ajr said:

All caveats aside, when is the last time we’ve seen such a consistently modeled powerful winter storm modeled this far out?

The thing I was thinking of was when was the last time we've had a quality wave roll from California / Baja, east into Texas for a good SE winter storm.  The last one I can think of is probably Dec 2010.  We've had some good winter storms since then, but I can't think of one like this specific and classic setup

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Queencitywx said:

2/2004, 3/2009 come to mind. Those were different situations though.

2/2004 as I recall it was modeled always as a good precip maker with temp issues but in the last 72 hrs it trended colder and colder with each run. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Buddy1987 said:

18z FV3 is worlds difference compared to some of the other models. More north yet still plenty cold for a bunch. Takes low from CHS to Hatteras. 

It's actually very similar to the 12z GFS with the track close to the coast