• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
11/15-16 Coastal Storm/ULL Discussion

dmillz25

Might get pretty wild under the still-deepening upper low Friday morning. Very steep lapse rates and some CAPE showing up that are aligned with a pressure rise/fall couplet. Dynamic cooling w/ that could lead to some TSSN squalls, probably over higher terrain just W/NW/N of the city in PA, nrn NJ into New England. 

352363.thumb.png.ad5aad4e1d9911562ac0efa2c7cb33c0.png

2 minutes ago, purduewx80 said:

Might get pretty wild under the still-deepening upper low Friday morning. Very steep lapse rates and some CAPE showing up that are aligned with a pressure rise/fall couplet. Dynamic cooling w/ that could lead to some TSSN squalls, probably over higher terrain just W/NW/N of the city in PA, nrn NJ into New England. 

352363.thumb.png.ad5aad4e1d9911562ac0efa2c7cb33c0.png

That's nuts if that happens. ::will be cleaning out as many leaves as possible tonight::

9 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

The city actually warms up to 34 degrees by 22z before falling back to 32 under heavy precipitation. The sounding supports freezing rain at 01z.

E9DLIZ0.png

Just be careful driving. Travel is going to be the biggest trouble. Freezing rain on top of ice pellets is a recipe for disaster on the roads. Especially because up here, everyone drives like maniacs.

30 minutes ago, NycStormChaser said:

I saw it on their Twitter account. 

Thanks!  I've resisted Twitter to date, but if the NWS website is falling apart and the FB page has been disabled (it has, by FB for secrurity reasons according to the NWS webmaster), then maybe it's time to sign up...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NJwx85 said:

I'm a bit more pessimistic about snow chances than I was yesterday. The surface low has trended stronger which keeps the flow more easterly at the mid levels while the low levels have trended colder thanks to CAD. Models almost always under forecast low level cold air so it's really not a surprise. Think a safe bet is a coating to an inch in the usual highly urbanized areas in and around NYC with 2-4" for the NW burbs and the Hudson Valley. Not thinking much for Long Island at this time but I could see the North shore of Suffolk accumulating some. Overall think that the biggest threat will be with freezing rain and sleet. Some areas, especially North of Rt 80 and West of the Hudson river may not get above freezing at the surface until well after midnight on Friday morning. Even the GFS which is terrible for temperature profiles has those areas hanging onto freezing rain at 06z Friday. 

Still think there is a chance that we snow on Friday morning as the ULL swings through. 

I think this is pretty spot on. Anyone near mid 50s water hoping for accumulating snow on an east flow is in for disappointment. If it were February with upper 30s water temps it would be a different story. Our big November snows on the coast have come with a typical benchmark track and a strong CCB that’s able to inject cold on a strong northerly flow.

i think this is a coating in the city and over to plain rain. 

3 minutes ago, Ericjcrash said:

Eh. One could argue either way. Borderline leaning toward rain. Midlevel torch.

The winds directions on both the NAM sand GFS at 12Z are 060-080 for the most part which would argue it should go to rain easily at the coast and even NYC.  The NAM does show signs from 21-00Z of trying to back towards 040-050 again.  If that happens it could be frozen longer 

17 minutes ago, RU848789 said:

Thanks!  I've resisted Twitter to date, but if the NWS website is falling apart and the FB page has been disabled (it has, by FB for secrurity reasons according to the NWS webmaster), then maybe it's time to sign up...

Yeah, a lot more NWS offices are using twitter more and more. If you download the app on your device it is very easy to get push notifications during a storm. 

• Rjay pinned this topic
  • BxEngine unpinned this topic