• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
November 15 Snow/Ice Chance

showmethesnow

So gonna post the 10:1 map and the Kuchera because they both have uses... part of the difference between them is going to be the amount of FRZA/sleet so I feel like it’s fair to show both. Either way, WOW. Not happy to not be in NOVA.

1f4b2cf3ff8201c90f344ed9261ac554.png&key=b4cbfe2e44c4efab92b0cbc19c63440d04e4701c4d141bebdf4fa43887f851eb

c01b5cef4dd95c3067ad7651d5690f9d.png&key=323b5d6f7b117b4ce8de59f8e7e1373d79a5581c201f985c25a17a4e6d408ff5

not staying up for the EPS unless I can’t fall asleep, someone else can take the wheel

• Like 5

Looking over the Euro/EPS I am teetering on the edge of jumping all in on this storm. We have once again seen improvements on the 500s as to where the closed low has sped up and is now making a pass through central/northern VA and a capture of the surface low off of Jersey. IFFFFF we can pick up a 2/3 hour quicker interaction between these 2 features (500 low + surface low) as to where we are seeing the capture at our latitude (or even better just south of our latitude) I think we would be talking bona fide snowstorm for N/W of the cities and quite possibly into the cities themselves. And this isn't putting down where we stand now because we are looking pretty good as it is. Just think that 2/3 hours is the difference between a lot of ice vs. a lot of snow.

• Like 1

The latest GFS is upping its game especially N/W of the cities.

Kuchera

06zgfskuchera.gif.2808e7d4585f4cef181bc9102e469a63.gif

Now some may ask why I bother posting the 10:1 when the Kuchera is available. I do it because when there is a decent discrepancy between the two it is indicative of a very marginal setup with temps for a storm. So if we see a slightly colder solution verify then there is a decent chance that the 10:1 is going to be more reflective of the reality. So just look at the 10:1 as the best case scenario.

06zgfs10to1.gif.f0692c99e9804d3e3bc607a72c666c97.gif 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Yea...the ull pass improves each run on the Euro . Both with speed and location.  The trend has been clear . We could easily make up that 2/3 with 54+ hours till start. 

Was looking over the various layers from the surface up. As it stands now this will be a nightmare to forecast. It is so marginal throughout with temps that a 1-2 degree colder/warmer solution will mean a world of difference. As it stands now various levels lose the temps at various times and then they regain then as the cold air from the upper low filters in. One thing that is a positive is that the CAD is holding stronger which was expected as the models tend to underplay that feature until we get closer in. The big question mark here will be how quickly the cold can move in overhead from the west to give us a fresh source of cold as the CAD retreats. Right now per the Euro I would guess this would be a mostly sleet/freezing rain storm for just NW of the cities if not into them (maybe a couple inches/three inches of snow initially if the precip moves in quick enough) . Only when you get into Carroll/N Baltimore county would I think they could possibly see some fairly significant accumulations.

• Like 1

I’m skeptical, if for no other reason than the fact that this is so early in the season and climo isn’t exactly on our side. Both the October storm and Nov 2014 were under performers in the nearby burbs, but honestly at this point seeing any flakes at all is a big win.

I’m still not so secretly hoping the UKMET scores a coup :lol:

• Like 1

Bristow unlike most storms, as we get closer to game time, the prospects for us have been marginally improving. We just need to keep that improvement going  for a few more model runs. Can anyone explain what is causing the EURO to show a more southerly pass thru the mid Atlantic with the ill? And would anyone hazard a guess as to if we will see that trend continue?

4 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I highly doubt 6”, but for November getting on the board is a huge coup around the cities. 

Don’t worry. This winter is going to rock, and I mean that with all seriousness.

It has that feel, that's for sure, doesn't it. Having an active storm track up the coast certainly helps.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, supernovasky said:

I think I know now after 2 winters of living here not to get my hopes up, lol. Maybe this will be the year I actually experience a real winter? Looks like my area up in Germantown has a decent shot at this one. I have yet to get a 6” event and that’s what weather underground is calling for.

Don’t expect 6” this early in the season because it’ll just leave you disappointed. Even seeing flakes this early is anomalous. Our time will come this year - I think everyone is on board with that - so just be patient.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I highly doubt 6”, but for November getting on the board is a huge coup around the cities. 

Don’t worry. This winter is going to rock, and I mean that with all seriousness.

I’m not gonna lie, this November reminds me of November 2013.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

There is always one in the crowd. Warm ground.... Snow can't accumulate... Blah, Blah, Blah.... :P

Come on H2O, embrace the snow. :D

Oh it will snow somewhere.  Snow maps are pretty but climo is a witch.  Nice trends and get the bowling ball a tad more south and a bit more confluence/congestion in the ATL and this would scream Nov early storm for all.  But I'm not ready to take the plunge just yet.  Most pools are drained this time of year anyways.

The one caveat is that the Caps won the Cup this year so this could be the year of DC.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, showmethesnow said:

The latest GFS is upping its game especially N/W of the cities.

Kuchera

06zgfskuchera.gif.2808e7d4585f4cef181bc9102e469a63.gif

Now some may ask why I bother posting the 10:1 when the Kuchera is available. I do it because when there is a decent discrepancy between the two it is indicative of a very marginal setup with temps for a storm. So if we see a slightly colder solution verify then there is a decent chance that the 10:1 is going to be more reflective of the reality. So just look at the 10:1 as the best case scenario. 

06zgfs10to1.gif.f0692c99e9804d3e3bc607a72c666c97.gif 

Not in November

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic