Jump to content
  • Member Statistics

    15,475
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    Chesta
    Newest Member
    Chesta
    Joined
Solak

Hurricane Michael

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, thess said:

Friends and coworkers in Southpoint say they are out of power, but doing fine north of I-70 in east Durham (I need to update my board location). We got a couple of big gusts and that's been it so far. Well, and 3" of rain today IMBY.

I live about 1.25 miles from the mall - been pretty quiet here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ander420 said:

I live about 1.25 miles from the mall - been pretty quiet here.

Formerly Southpoint here--I have a feeling we've DM'd or something during recent winter storms, your name looks familiar. :) I used to be over off Barbee/54, where all those townhouses have gone up now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The wind direction has shifted, but it's pretty still for the moment. Picked up about 1.25" or so today. Lights are starting to flicker.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, thess said:

Formerly Southpoint here--I have a feeling we've DM'd or something during recent winter storms, your name looks familiar. :) I used to be over off Barbee/54, where all those townhouses have gone up now. 

For sure - I live in Chancellor's Ridge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm still east of this backside action. I'm in a house that is prone to hurricanes dropping trees on it, and far enough north that it could be an issue this time. Fortunately I do have a good basement partially underground and that's where I'll be when it hits if it hits hard enough to warrant. Pressure is 29.12 and still falling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep no power here in the Mordecai area. It was an exciting hour or so. Sudden bursts of 50+

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Near Millbrook and Glenwood. Powers of and on now 5x. Can hear booms. Trees are coming down in the neighborhood. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Regan said:

Near Millbrook and Glenwood. Powers of and on now 5x. Can hear booms. Trees are coming down in the neighborhood. 

damage sounds quite extensive...i'm guessing a  lot of people are going to be without power for quite a while. 

up to 578,572 (as of 645) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's gotten gusty, but it's starting to clear, and looking at the radar, it seems like our corner of the county might escape without much drama at all. I doubt many, if any, trees are down around us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Lookout said:

damage sounds quite extensive...i'm guessing a  lot of people are going to be without power for quite a while. 

up to 527,832 

Is that currently without power or total number of people that have lost power?  I only ask because I just saw Dukes website update to show 487,000 without power but I know Union and Meck have several thousand that have been restored so I wondered how many people in total lost power and not just who doesn’t have power now.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, GunBlade said:

Is that currently without power or total number of people that have lost power?  I only ask because I just saw Dukes website update to show 487,000 without power but I know Union and Meck have several thousand that have been restored so I wondered how many people in total lost power and not just who doesn’t have power now.  

Here's a link for just NC that includes all the electric providers.

https://poweroutage.us/area/state/north carolina

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GunBlade said:

Agreed but places like GSP at least mentioned there was uncertainty and models showing more winds and a deform band which is why they issued advisories. I think that was perfect.  And almost 500,000 people without power and growing isn’t 20-30 mile swath.  The whole viewing area has basically been hit and models showed it strengthening after getting to NC so GSP where Mack is was never part of the high wind discussions.

Many local Mets though were adamant that we would top out at 30-35 gusts and said this was just going to be a rainy day.  Exact words from one.  Those are the issues.  At least throw it out there that there’s uncertainty and it’s impossible to accurately forecast and areas could potentially see higher gusts.  But to tell people you will be fine if you are fine to drive in the rain is a different story that almost half a million people and growing would obviously disagree with.  

If I understood the discussion correctly; GSP wanted to put out high wind warnings but apparently were not allowed to because of the tropical headline.  So they used the tropical storm warning as a surrogate for the high wind warning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, downeastnc said:

radar returns fading fast might not be able to get the winds down here east of I 95 without the heavier showers....

You might be far enough south to avoid the worst as there is a persistent northerly component to the forward motion of the system. Its been on the north edge of the guidance all day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Jet Stream Rider said:

You might be far enough south to avoid the worst as there is a persistent northerly component to the forward motion of the system. Its been on the north edge of the guidance all day.

Hope not :devilsmiley:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm trying to post some pictures and video but having trouble. It was a wild day here in Danville. Major river flooding continues and power is out to over 10,000 people in the city. Trees on houses, cars washed away, swift water rescues, etc. 

  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have had some pretty substantial gusts here within the past 30 minutes. Power went out for about a minute but now back on. Wind is howling. Airport recording gusts in the high 40's. Pressure down to 29.39.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Moonhowl said:

If I understood the discussion correctly; GSP wanted to put out high wind warnings but apparently were not allowed to because of the tropical headline.  So they used the tropical storm warning as a surrogate for the high wind warning.

I think GSP did great.  We were in a TS warning yesterday.  And they wrote novels about everything explaining their thoughts so absolutely nothing against them.  I think GSP always does a great job and aren’t normally more bullish from what I’ve seen over the years to make some bolder statements and forecasts but not overdo it.

Really just stating in general the lack of any of that knowledge being relayed to the public by mets on TV and obvious statements discounting any potential above rain and a breezy day.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, yotaman said:

We have had some pretty substantial gusts here within the past 30 minutes. Power went out for about a minute but now back on. Wind is howling. Airport recording gusts in the high 40's. Pressure down to 29.39.

Power back on after a four-hour outage.  Clear skies west with a sliver of a moon, still dark clouds visible to the east.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, jburns said:

Power back on after a four-hour outage.  Clear skies west with a sliver of a moon, still dark clouds visible to the east.

A little off topic and I know the number should be three; but that post got the Gilligan's Island theme song going in my head.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×