• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Major Hurricane Florence: STORM MODE THREAD

stormtracker

150 people need rescue according to this New Bern twitter account. Also reported by Fox News.

ABC News is reporting the same, including an interview with an Emergency Services representative, iirc. Tornado Warning for southern Warren county just went up to, until 3:30am

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

c7ed2305306efafcb7571d8b935f09b8.jpg

2 minutes ago, NavarreDon said:

That's not "just" north of New Bern. That's on the Pamlico river system instead of the Neuse. Have a guy on another forum in Bath saying his dock is under 9 feet of water. Go to river and lakes page from MHX and go as far inland as my town of greenville and the tar river has seen 4-5 foot rises from the surge and we are way inland. There will be record storm surges from this hurricane in isolated locations. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, shaggy said:

That's not "just" north of New Bern. That's on the Pamlico river system instead of the Neuse. Have a guy on another forum in Bath saying his dock is under 9 feet of water. Go to river and lakes page from MHX and go as far inland as my town of greenville and the tar river has seen 4-5 foot rises from the surge and we are way inland. There will be record storm surges from this hurricane in isolated locations. 

Flood level to 8.51 feet now.

https://nwis.waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv?site_no=02084472

https://stn.wim.usgs.gov/FEV/

9 hours ago, ncforecaster89 said:

I'm in North Topsail Beach.  Too busy to post much.  If interested in updates every 1-2 hours...with video snapshots and pressure readings, please consider following me on Twitter @tbrite89.  

Pressure at 986.8 mb and continuing to drop.  

Any updates?  See on twitter you were in the eye wall.  Be safe!

Looks like LF is occurring right around Carolina Beach. I wonder how long Florence can parallel the coast without significant weakening. The eye seems to have contracted further the last few frames and this downsizing could increase the pressure gradient and thus a temporary uptick in the winds.

4 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

Looks like LF is occurring right around Carolina Beach. I wonder how long Florence can parallel the coast without significant weakening. The eye seems to have contracted further the last few frames and this downsizing could increase the pressure gradient and thus a temporary uptick in the winds.

2 minutes ago, mappy said:

The first time that a named storm in the Atlantic made landfall in the U.S.taking this track.

Updating yesterday's tidbit... as of Friday morning's advisory, 79 named storms have passed within 200 nautical miles of #Florence's position since 1851, and not one has ever come close to the U.S. coast. pic.twitter.com/IZurMUWhXh
  • Like 3

I cant stress enough how insanely bad and unprecedented the fact the 92 bridge in Bath has water over it is....it almost cant be true. I read several reports that it is though. IF it is true then the devastation in the sounds and rivers will be at levels no one really imagined.....

This is the Quarterdeck Marina at the base of the bridge, its certainly gone if the bridge is underwater......this structure has made it through surges for decades....

This is the 92 bridge as seen from the Quarterdeck...another guy who lives on Back Creek ( name of the creek here) is saying he has 9 ft of water in his yard and he lives up Back Creek above the bridge a ways ....I would imagine the previous record surge in this area would be 5-6 ft during Irene.....this pic was taken 15 hrs ago

Quarterdeck.jpg.1880cb53bedcad974eec5452648d7eaa.jpg

• Like 4

Been following the WECT livestream since yesterday (out of Wilmington).  On their radar, eye seems to be moving clearly SW, and once it passes the Oak Island area, it looks like the eye will be back over water (a fair distance offshore) for a period of time.  What will this do for strengthening before a second possible landfall in SC? 

5 minutes ago, drscottsmith said:

Been following the WECT livestream since yesterday (out of Wilmington).  On their radar, eye seems to be moving clearly SW, and once it passes the Oak Island area, it looks like the eye will be back over water (a fair distance offshore) for a period of time.  What will this do for strengthening before a second possible landfall in SC? 

HMON had a due west  turn north of its current position.  Certainly looks to be heading back out.