Total Members
    Most Online
    ChicagoGuy
    Newest Member
    ChicagoGuy
Meteorological Fall 2018 Banter

dmillz25

1 hour ago, Juliancolton said:

25-30kt gusts making waste of a perfectly sunny day in the mid-40s. It would totally be jeans and long-sleeve T weather if not for the wind whittling 15F off the apparent temperature.

So you got snow yesterday and sun today and I'm stuck with clouds both days aside from a few flurries yesterday.  The sun was out here for about two minutes at one point this morning, that's it.  So much for the forecasted mostly sunny day here.  RAGE  :gun_bandana: 

1 hour ago, IrishRob17 said:

So you got snow yesterday and sun today and I'm stuck with clouds both days aside from a few flurries yesterday.  The sun was out here for about two minutes at one point this morning, that's it.  So much for the forecasted mostly sunny day here.  RAGE  :gun_bandana: 

Glad we don't live there? :P

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, doncat said:

With 19.36" of precip this autumn, this has been the wettest on my station record, beating 2005 when 18.50" fell.

Wow that’s very impressive. October 05 was a disaster in my area. The whole water table rose and for the first and only time in 33 years we had a foot of water in my basement 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Finally a coldest month on record for a station in the US in a sea of top 10 warmth during the 2010's.

Record coldest November dating to 1888 a virtual lock in Kansas City, crushing the previous record from 1976, per data from @SERCC.pic.twitter.com/WOzPSws0S4

I remember a few winters ago the analogy of an ice cube in a sea of warmth or warm bath tub was used to describe our winter weather.   Are we setting up in a similar fashion for this upcoming winter?

44 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Wow that’s very impressive. October 05 was a disaster in my area. The whole water table rose and for the first and only time in 33 years we had a foot of water in my basement 

Yeah Oct 05 here had over 13" of rain alone, that followed Sept which was extremely dry though with just 0.53".

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bluewave said:

Finally a coldest month on record for a station in the US in a sea of top 10 warmth during the 2010's.

Record coldest November dating to 1888 a virtual lock in Kansas City, crushing the previous record from 1976, per data from @SERCC.pic.twitter.com/WOzPSws0S4

Also their first 3+ inch snowstorm in a few years!

7 hours ago, bluewave said:

While the CONUS has had numerous top 10 warmest months during the 2010's, I don't believe there has been a top 10 coldest yet. It will be interesting to see if November 2018 is the first with such extensive cold across the CONUS. The rankings will be out in December.

https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/cag/national/rankings/110/tavg/201810

IMG_0358.PNG.6bde21502f0ba6869829766044bf0cb8.PNG

I thought last March and April were really cold nationwide too.

6 hours ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

I think we had about 20” in SE Nassau 

Here too, NYC came really close to breaking their all time monthly rainfall record but we ended up having a dry last 10 days to mess it up.  There was 2 feet of rain in eastern LI.

That was the month I had installed my digital rain gage too- what a start lol

24 minutes ago, Ericjcrash said:

I'm so sick of the AGW nonsense. "NYC doesn't go subzero anymore" it did. Record cold still happens. Areas around reporting stations become more urbanized. Skewed numbers.

I moved this out of the discussion thread.  If you're going to make dumb posts this is the thread for it. 

16 minutes ago, Rjay said:

15:1 sounds about right :scooter:

LOL that is about as close to a thread the needle event as you can get.  It looks like a lesser version of Jan 2016, where those both south and north of us got much less.  Is that spot of 20-22 in a lt grey color in SW Monmouth the jackpot area for the entire storm ;-)

It would be amazing if thats how it actually happened.

Being a bit more conservative, even 10:1 ratios mean around 10-12 inches. 16 inches in that jackpot area.

18 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

AGW is fake because one mid-latitude city can cross an arbitrary threshold on one particular temperature scale. That's pretty inventive, you have to admit.

We’ve still got political leaders and widely followed pundits being intellectually dishonest about AGW, so ita not surprising people latch onto their talking points.  

• Confused 1