Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
August dawgs are barking ... but it looks like the month may split

Typhoon Tip

17 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Dont know who is cold mongering most of the forum hopes we go back to 85 over 55 but I guess thats what you call cold, anyway back broken we descend. Noticing more leaves in the yard  its downward slide time. Couple of weeks begins the best part of summer with all the kiddies back in school, tourists back home and water perfect. We mank

index.png

Pretty colors won’t change it.  I don’t see a pattern change other than the natural erosion of big heat potential as the season progresses.  EPS H5 11-15 is warm.  The beat goes on.

8 minutes ago, MetHerb said:

The back is broken climo wise...we are on the downward trend.  You can talk about the different markers for the different steps but we are no longer climbing the climo ladder.  We are descending...into what is to be determined.

Fair enough.  Just like on January 20th Winter's back breaks and climo starts rising again (at least at BTV) but you've got a lot of winter left.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Pretty colors won’t change it.  I don’t see a pattern change other than the natural erosion of big heat potential as the season progresses.  EPS H5 11-15 is warm.  The beat goes on.

We hot and humid overall well into September . Maybe things move around a bit after that 

24 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Fair enough.  Just like on January 20th Winter's back breaks and climo starts rising again (at least at BTV) but you've got a lot of winter left.  

Ha, you can won’t get this board to admit that on 1/20. Climo wise it may be broken,  but Mother Nature can **** on climo all she wants.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I don't think that's fair -- climate and pattern is apples and oranges. 

The purpose of back break jargon relates(ed) to pattern, but again "fairness" i'll be a moot point when it comes to subjectivity. 

I wasn't merely saying climate when I, personally, coined the expression. They'd no putpose for doing that 

3 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Haha what?  Because of "Mother Nature loves her averages?"  That's more tongue in cheek but usually if a long dry spell, a wet period is often in the card after that.  Everything averages out in the end more often than not.  

Maybe when we flip the switch to winter in October or whenever it happens, we'll see a lot more precip up here was the rub and sort of a joke seeing as it's been a very dry summer.

I've always thought I'm pretty objective with no real agenda but still not sure how that statement as it relates to precip ebbs and flows leads to an agenda driven post...

Not to worry - some days back, I got a similar kind of response for commenting that "normal" wx is merely the average of abnormal wx.

This met summer is shaping up to be one of my warmest here, despite the BN June, and this month has a good shot at being the warmest August of our 21 years in the foothills.  However, it's also a fact (noted earlier - in the banter thread?) that my average daily mean drops below 65° today for the 1st time since July 8, and it's all downhill for the next 5 months.  I fully expect some semi-autumnal days later this month (maybe much later) but we're not about to go all August 1988, when the 1st half of the month was about +8 and the 2nd half -4.  (Gardiner, where we lived in 1988, had avg temp of 77 for 1st half and 63 for 2nd half, with daily averages dropping a bit more than 2° 1st half/2nd half.)

Temps start rising, true, but the midpoint of my snowfall season comes as Jan moves to Feb.  That's unlike classic summer storminess; on average 2/3 of TS here come prior to August 1st.

1 minute ago, tamarack said:

Not to worry - some days back, I got a similar kind of response for commenting that "normal" wx is merely the average of abnormal wx.

This met summer is shaping up to be one of my warmest here, despite the BN June, and this month has a good shot at being the warmest August of our 21 years in the foothills.  However, it's also a fact (noted earlier - in the banter thread?) that my average daily mean drops below 65° today for the 1st time since July 8, and it's all downhill for the next 5 months.  I fully expect some semi-autumnal days later this month (maybe much later) but we're not about to go all August 1988, when the 1st half of the month was about +8 and the 2nd half -4.  (Gardiner, where we lived in 1988, had avg temp of 77 for 1st half and 63 for 2nd half, with daily averages dropping a bit more than 2° 1st half/2nd half.)

Yeah ... no, this implies I had some agenda when if you read what I said, it wasn't the same. So it's not "similar" really 

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

Temps may drop climo wise, but Mother nature doesn’t really want to agree. #deal

Its more than less what I'd say to the climate part of that. Yes. 

When it does ... we can talk about breaking stuff. 

Some may argue the pattern has ... but tend to disagree - for now

16 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Temps may drop climo wise, but Mother nature doesn’t really want to agree. #deal

Agreed completely.  Same in winter.  Averages may rise starting the last third of January, but February can also be the coldest month sometimes.  Just like August can be the hottest month despite the downward climo trend.

1 hour ago, Typhoon Tip said:

As far as your ending sentiment...I prefer not to rush..and in fact, am so good at it, that I actually just get bitter - haha.  Like, so deeply stooped in acceptance, my mood is right down there with it.  Especially in spring... Oh man don't get me started about April - what a gosh-forsaken wasteland of, to warm to snow and too cold to care that is that 30 ...

I think you and I would get along. You sound like I do in April! It is one awful part of the year. I always get bitter/sad at the end of summer and winter. The fall isn't bad, but something about thunderstorms in summer and winter snow storms are just truly amazing. Once everyone starts saying they are done with winter, I'm usually thinking one more snow and ski trip! 

1 hour ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Yeah, the farmers in Franklin Co (biggest ag county in MA) have been especially pleased with the rotting ground crops.

Stop stealing our rain ;)

Some pretty crazy CoCoRAHS numbers from SVT through your area all the way down into CT/HFD area over the past 40 days.

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Warm front getting farther north than thought. 70-72 with dews there too later on

Opposite. Rain won’t get as far north, but cool NE winds will ensue. I figured guidance was overdoing the rain up here. I suppose a couple of showers may happen late today. 

4-5” in Wareham last night. 

10 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Opposite. Rain won’t get as far north, but cool NE winds will ensue. I figured guidance was overdoing the rain up here. I suppose a couple of showers may happen late today. 

4-5” in Wareham last night. 

Warm front should reach near or just south of 90. Gulf of Maine water temps are in low-mid 70’s. So no coolng or dry in SNE. Unless you mean NNE. I didn’t know you were there