• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    NW_of_GYX
    Newest Member
    NW_of_GYX
Minnesota_storms

April 12th-15th Winter Storm

call this a bit of an end of storm commentary out here in Minnesota, and watching what's going on back in the t-dot. And I have to admit, the model snowfall came a lot closer to reality than I was originally thinking, but the impact I was thinking about for around here did verify (11" near my apt complex in the north end of St Paul). But as for the sleet I saw not only here, but am seeing further east, I have to admit, a couple of days before the event, I was looking at some model soundings out here, and they were all screaming sleet/ice pellets to me, not freezing rain, even though most of the TV mets were saying a freezing rain was a big possibility in the transition.

and as for you guys in Toronto, I do remember a bit about that 2003 sleet storm. I drove into work that morning on Birchmount from Sheppard heading to Markham with several inches of sleet. It actually was not that bad to drive on that sleet compared to snow, if for no other reason than at least the sleet was consistent. But that high amount of sleet was a bit of surprise, since I think the day before the forecast was more being steered to freezing rain as well.

1 minute ago, Hoosier said:

Some 15-21" reports out of the GRB cwa and I imagine elsewhere too.  

With (according to the radar) several more inches to come. 

4 minutes ago, Snowstorms said:

Both sleet and freezing rain occur under the same process. In this storm, I suspect the layer of freezing air was much thicker and lasted longer than modeled thus leading to more sleet than freezing rain? Freezing rain usually occurs at thinner layers. Now I'm just assuming thats what likely occurred. 

Refreeze layer may have been colder than progged.  That can happen on a larger scale or more localized during heavy precip.  -4C or colder anywhere in that refreeze layer really increases the odds of sleet.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Some 15-21" reports out of the GRB cwa and I imagine elsewhere too.  

In the GRB special weather statement, they mention totals could be 30”+ in some areas. 

Looks like Minneapolis, on average, has seen 12-15" so far.

Meanwhile, it appears the areas in Northern Lower MI that got hit by the initial round of snow have been seeing sleet / freezing rain for much of today. 

2 minutes ago, beavis1729 said:

In the GRB special weather statement, they mention totals could be 30”+ in some areas. 

So the extreme model output looks like it will actually verify in some spots.

Here's something interesting.  GRB now has more snow in April than they got in DJF combined.

• Like 1

Mostly sleet here as well today. Granted roads are a mess and the winds yesterday caused some power outages but in the end nothing close to what would have been if the freezing rain would have materialized.

Right now I have about 5" of snow on the ground with an 1" of sleet under it. The snow part is actually kind of fluffy for a late-season storm. The sleet though negates it so it is still a pain to shovel. Has been snowing with on and off heavier squalls all day long. I am really happy that im not in Green Bay or Door County right now.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, snowstormcanuck said:

Finally switched over to -FZRA/FZDZ. Sleet storm total at YYZ will be over 3".

~1.6" today at YYZ. 

Now we await for the rain to melt this cement. 

Freezing rain has begun and everything beginning to glaze over. Winds gusting like mad. Please change to rain asap I want to keep power 

1 hour ago, snowstormcanuck said:

Looks like snow til you get out into it.

SLEETY.jpg

I'm never shoveling sleet again if I can help it.  Just too much of a pain.  The thing you have to be aware of though when it gets to greater depths is that it can literally lock your vehicle in place and make it difficult to get out.  And it's more resistant to melting than snow.

From NWS GRB:

.CLIMATE...
Issued at 347 PM CDT Sun Apr 15 2018

Historic winter storm brought 15 to 30 inches of snow with locally
higher amounts possible (near Tigerton in Shawano County?). This
storm will go down in the record books as the largest April
snowstorm on record and more than likely one of the largest of
all-time at Green Bay, Rhinelander and Wausau. As of 1 pm, Green
Bay recorded 20.6 inches of snow. This eclipses the old April
snowstorm record of 11.0 inches set on April 4-5, 1977. The 20.6
inches of snow also makes it the third largest snowstorm on
record behind 29.0 inches set on March 1-2, 1888 and the 23.1
inches set on January 8-9, 1889. At least an inch or two has
fallen since 1 pm, thus when the official observation is taken at
7 pm tonight this could become the 2nd largest snowstorm on record
at Green Bay. Stay tuned! As you can imagine, the monthly April
snowfall records at Green Bay, Rhinelander and Wausau have been
shattered.

To put this in perspective, Green Bay received 31.4 inches of
snow from October 1st to March 31st. As of 1 pm today, Green Bay
received 33.1 inches for the month of April or more than half the
winter snowfall.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, snowcaine said:

Freezing rain has begun and everything beginning to glaze over. Winds gusting like mad. Please change to rain asap I want to keep power 

Yup. Everything's getting coated. With winds this strong it's not going to take more than a few tenths of an inch of ice build up for power problems to start happening.

35 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

I'm never shoveling sleet again if I can help it.  Just too much of a pain.  The thing you have to be aware of though when it gets to greater depths is that it can literally lock your vehicle in place and make it difficult to get out.  And it's more resistant to melting than snow.

Experienced that first hand this morning. Tried to reverse my car, it was stuck. Had to dig my car out of a couple inches of sleet, something I almost never have to do with 6 or even 8" of snow.

It’s bad here. A foot or just a bit more since 8 this morning. Winds are gusting between 30-35 mph consistently. 10-15” more by tomorrow afternoon, with a few more inches tomorrow night likely. The deepest depth I’ve ever seen at my house is 52”. Seriously may make a run for that! This is crazy even for up here just two weeks shy of May!

• Like 1

Right now I see melting out there despite sitting at 0ºC so I must be above freezing. I'm going to be floored if I don't even pick up 1/10th of an inch of ice from this storm...that and the lack of precip so far this Sunday (before the regular rain begins) really is insane. Even if the sleet and ice pellets had been FZRA it wouldn't have come close to the amounts forecast consistently (and just hours before the timerange)...the hourly forecast of the heaviest freezing rain being noon (I checked 3 hours before) didn't produce anything until 45 mins in and that wasn't much! Forecast winds and gusts would've been a once in a 10 year event if true. TWN increased the wind speeds instead of lowering them this morning - I'm not even getting half those values! LOL. What on earth are those models outputting to give me these forecasts.

There was a news article from TWN titled "A storm that lived up to the hype" or something along those lines. I'll share my thoughts on that until its all over however hours later the headline could no longer be found interestingly ;).

2 minutes ago, snowcaine said:

Green flashes from transformers

Lol.

Somehow I imagine it must feel more isolating and extreme to be in your position...despite being here with 40 inches of pre-storm snowcover and having had to walk to get home because the car got stuck.

Still a white out here. 21 degrees.

• Like 1