SnowHabit
Snow Blitz - Napril 6

NorEastermass128

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Nothing

Cross country skiing, snowmobiling, snow shoe hiking,  peace solitude. Sounds pretty much like heaven. Those who enjoy traffic noise bars and nightlife would not like it. Then again it's NE in an hour you can drive to find any social activity.  As you get older you will appreciate peace and quiet more and more.

Just now, Ginx snewx said:

Cross country skiing, snowmobiling, snow shoe hiking,  peace solitude. Sounds pretty much like heaven. Those who enjoy traffic noise bars and nightlife would not like it. Them again it's NE in an hour you can drive to find any social activity.  As you get older you will appreciate peace and quiet more and more.

This.  Down there, he is pretty close to some city amenities.  It's not like they live in Alaska

2 hours ago, wxmanmitch said:

7-7.5" total this morning, which averages to 7.2". Lots of blowing and drifting since the snow is powdery on top. Turned into a nice little event. Deep, deep winter with cold winds.

The Woodford measurement of 7.5" on WeatherNet6 seems accurate this go around. Sometimes they're pretty close, other times not. 

Fm9fSx82TL+1hxM9t3yeAw.jpg

Beautiful pic

Just now, Damage In Tolland said:

Was I asking you or him?

I am asking you, what society activities do you partake in? I watch grandkids games ,go to Lacrosse games, stuff like that. Other than that staying home is my favorite thing to do. Putting around the house. The older I get the more I like solitude. 

33 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Woodford is only like 15 mins into Bennington.

30-35 mins I think to Bennington from where he is.  Its definitely pretty isolated, but I think many would say living anywhere in VT is isolated outside of BTV area. I've lived in big cites and personally prefer the slower VT style of life--along with great outdoor activities available, granted I live in more of an actual "city" by VT standards with a booming population of 4-5K.  Ha

Its not like you don't know what type of lifestyle you are getting into when you move there, so I would assume he enjoys it. You don't build a house at 2K and then wonder where the happy hour hotspots are.

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

Pretty close to Mt snow and Stratton there. Since I'm a skier, I'd love it. 

It’s amazing here in the winter. I plan on eventually buying a place. I made it form Long Island to SVT in 3 hours 45 minutes last night. To 7” of fresh snow. 

The skying and ridding today was just epic. The perfect amount of powder to really enjoy. Amazing to me that the place is packed in December with a handful of trails and today it was a ghost town!!!

3 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

I am asking you, what society activities do you partake in? I watch grandkids games ,go to Lacrosse games, stuff like that. Other than that staying home is my favorite thing to do. Putting around the house. The older I get the more I like solitude. 

The funny thing I notice because even I do it myself is that if you are always home anyway, or like DIT and are asleep by 9pm, who cares what's around you?  Couldn't you do that same routine anywhere?  

People that are always like I couldn't live there, there's nothing to do.  They you ask when was the last time you left your house after 5pm and the answer is like we'll I left for Xmas Eve church services a few months back...

Then again there's a lot of people who just want to be near stuff even if they never use it.  But I bet most on here saying there's nothing to do is the exact reason why some people move to those places.  

47 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

It’s amazing here in the winter. I plan on eventually buying a place. I made it form Long Island to SVT in 3 hours 45 minutes last night. To 7” of fresh snow. 

The skying and ridding today was just epic. The perfect amount of powder to really enjoy. Amazing to me that the place is packed in December with a handful of trails and today it was a ghost town!!!

They are seasons in seasons people haha.  Think it should be deep winter from Nov 1st onward and then early summer heat by April 1st.  But climo doesn't work that way here.

Empty slopes and still a ton of snow left...the trails could've been from February today.

18 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

They are seasons in seasons people haha.  Think it should be deep winter from Nov 1st onward and then early summer heat by April 1st.  But climo doesn't work that way here.

Empty slopes and still a ton of snow left...the trails could've been from February today.

But you hit nail on head. Most of us want winter in season and warm seasons to be warm. It’s how we’re programmed 

21 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

The funny thing I notice because even I do it myself is that if you are always home anyway, or like DIT and are asleep by 9pm, who cares what's around you?  Couldn't you do that same routine anywhere?  

People that are always like I couldn't live there, there's nothing to do.  They you ask when was the last time you left your house after 5pm and the answer is like we'll I left for Xmas Eve church services a few months back...

Then again there's a lot of people who just want to be near stuff even if they never use it.  But I bet most on here saying there's nothing to do is the exact reason why some people move to those places.  

What does going to bed at 9:00 have to do with not doing anything. I am rarely ever home. Working, running, coaching, games, breweries and then some. When I am home I’m outside much of the time doing yard work in season etc. So that point you tried to paint is completely irrelevant. I legitimately was wondering what he does up there . As far as I know he’s living alone .  I know he hates summer and warm wx activities etc.. He moved there for snow . Period. I was honestly wondering.. does he ski, snow Mobile, plow for a living? Or does he just admire the snow from inside? I’m wondering 

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

I've always said that march is the best skiing month in New England. It's amazing how smaller the lines are and yet the mountain is smothered in snow. Years like this season keep it going well into April. 

I would have a whole system of trails packed out for xc skiing, snowshoeing, fat biking and I'd have dh tree runs marked out so I could spend all winter outside doing fun things. Where wxman is there are xc ski areas and old closed alpine areas with great backcountry skiing if you don't want to do the work on your own area. I think that being 15-30 minutes from a significant town is totally reasonable depending on what you do for a living and whether that means needing to be in town regularly and reliably. In the dry ground seasons I'd be riding my mt bike on 'semi private' trails that I build and maintain as often as possible, working around the yard, splitting firewood and hopefully working on a cool car or truck of some sort. Unless there's a need to go into town I'd just as soon not and would appreciate the solitude other than when I'm communicating with a bunch of wackos like you guys ;) 

35 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

I would have a whole system of trails packed out for xc skiing, snowshoeing, fat biking and I'd have dh tree runs marked out so I could spend all winter outside doing fun things. Where wxman is there are xc ski areas and old closed alpine areas with great backcountry skiing if you don't want to do the work on your own area. I think that being 15-30 minutes from a significant town is totally reasonable depending on what you do for a living and whether that means needing to be in town regularly and reliably. In the dry ground seasons I'd be riding my mt bike on 'semi private' trails that I build and maintain as often as possible, working around the yard, splitting firewood and hopefully working on a cool car or truck of some sort. Unless there's a need to go into town I'd just as soon not and would appreciate the solitude other than when I'm communicating with a bunch of wackos like you guys ;) 

Yes sounds perfect

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

What does going to bed at 9:00 have to do with not doing anything. I am rarely ever home. Working, running, coaching, games, breweries and then some. When I am home I’m outside much of the time doing yard work in season etc. So that point you tried to paint is completely irrelevant. I legitimately was wondering what he does up there . As far as I know he’s living alone .  I know he hates summer and warm wx activities etc.. He moved there for snow . Period. I was honestly wondering.. does he ski, snow Mobile, plow for a living? Or does he just admire the snow from inside? I’m wondering 

Going to bed early has nothing to do with it... its the point that there are a lot of people who could change very little of their life and live anywhere, despite what they say about not being able to live in the country.  You could be outside there all the time too, just need to change the activities to probably ski based or mountain bike based.  Wasn't an attack on you, just saying that there are a lot of people that could live in these places given their current patterns but just don't like the idea of being so far out there.

13 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Going to bed early has nothing to do with it... its the point that there are a lot of people who could change very little of their life and live anywhere, despite what they say about not being able to live in the country.  You could be outside there all the time too, just need to change the activities to probably ski based or mountain bike based.  Wasn't an attack on you, just saying that there are a lot of people that could live in these places given their current patterns but just don't like the idea of being so far out there.

For some people I imagine it is a job issue and then some rationalize it by saying they couldn't live out there anyway because it's not close to nightlife or some other modern amenities. But I'm sure others actually really hate the country. 

I would live in the middle of nowhere if I could earn the same money I do working in Boston but unfortunately I can't, lol. Maybe once my kid(s) are done with high school and by then working remotely might be a 100% deal...then I'll reassess and go find a weenie spot to build a house. 

Archived