Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 20th-22nd Suppressed, Fish, Not Coming Threat

Rjay

Just now, White Gorilla said:

According to a recent abstract posted in the other thread, a negative to positive NAO favors suppression along with a negative PNA, which are both projected next week. 

That's not true at all lol

The rebounding NAO favors a less suppressed track where a negative NAO favors more suppression. The PNA isn't all that important with this setup because we're not relying on it to dig the trough. 

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Exactly where we want to be at this juncture. Every single event has trended nw from this time period.

more cold available this time. Could this finally be the storm the coast comes through...

If there’s a high bringing cold air down, maybe there’s a chance down here. But there’s so much that has to go right that it’s pointless for me to get interested unless it’s  still showing this a couple of days out. I couldn’t care less about another marginal/lousy surface air setup where coastal areas and the city are relying on 33-34 temps and paltry rates. Count me right out of that. Couldn’t care less either what any snow map shows for that. It’ll be a couple inches or less of slop that melts by late afternoon. 

19 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

I cannot think of a single scenario with this storm that would give the South shore of LI the most snow, because even a suppressed track that ticked slightly North would keep the best rates over C NJ and out over the ocean. In order for the coast to do well, the rest of us need to do well too, that's why the 12z GFS is about the best case scenario for the majority of posters here.

For someone who just experienced what banding can do this is a pretty silly comment. Any area can jackpot in any snow event. Banding is nearly impossible to forecast even hours before an event let alone days. 

15 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

For someone who just experienced what banding can do this is a pretty silly comment. Any area can jackpot in any snow event. Banding is nearly impossible to forecast even hours before an event let alone days. 

You're really comparing this over running to weak coastal to a sub 980mb miller A?

No, the 534 line is even further North. The GGEM tries to push a piece of the developing high into Central NE before consolidating it over Ontario. The GGEM is a joke of a model, but by all means, keep using it. I don't even know why I bother posting here.
Don't take things so personally brother. You know Anthony is always looking for snow. He proclaims it and its just the fact of who he is.

As far as your posts, you tend to be one of our more knowledgeable posters, so you contribute quite a bit.

Lastly, the models have so much vorticity /energy around, combined with just the sheer number of s/w's and the fact that tele's all seem to be flipping at the same time, it's a wonder they have anything worked out. That said, pattern recognition. I tend to agree with jm. There is cold, however, it's late March and we're marginal. Furthermore if the NAO does flip, we are going to really have to worry about mid level warmth. As we have seen, surface cold does not cut it in March.

3 minutes ago, USCG RS said:

Don't take things so personally brother. You know Anthony is always looking for snow. He proclaims it and its just the fact of who he is.

As far as your posts, you tend to be one of our more knowledgeable posters, so you contribute quite a bit.

Lastly, the models have so much vorticity /energy around, combined with just the sheer number of s/w's and the fact that tele's all seem to be flipping at the same time, it's a wonder they have anything worked out. That said, pattern recognition. I tend to agree with jm. There is cold, however, it's late March and we're marginal. Furthermore if the NAO does flip, we are going to really have to worry about mid level warmth. As we have seen, surface cold does not cut it in March.

What kills me about Anthony is that he's smart enough to know better, he just always chooses fantasy over truth.

As I say this, the Euro decided to keep the ULL around longer, which pushes the storm track for the first storm off the VA coast. 

At least that reason makes sense, unlike the GGEM.

3 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

What kills me about Anthony is that he's smart enough to know better, he just always chooses fantasy over truth.

As I say this, the Euro decided to keep the ULL around longer, which pushes the storm track for the first storm off the VA coast. 

At least that reason makes sense, unlike the GGEM.

Dude the 540 is off the coast on the cmc per stormvista.

8 minutes ago, USCG RS said:

Because I'm right about the cmc but let's move on 

Euro is further south than the cmc. Big whiff.

6 minutes ago, Snow88 said:

I see what you're saying.

Looks like I confused heights with thicknesses.

The Euro also shows the 540 thickness draped over the region. If that ends up being true, then we're toast.

I still stand by my earlier statement that you do not want the GGEM solution. 

12Z GFS is back at it.   After droppng from 16" to 8" on the 06Z, it is off the scales at 20" with some mixing issues.

Anything over 10" in NYC is suspect in the post winter period.  How much precip. comes at night, could decide this issue.  Also what is left on ground at the conclusion is what you will remember.

1 hour ago, NJwx85 said:

That's not true at all lol

The rebounding NAO favors a less suppressed track where a negative NAO favors more suppression. The PNA isn't all that important with this setup because we're not relying on it to dig the trough. 

To be clear, in the other thread I was just posting about whether this qualified as an Archambault Event or not (and I always thought winter precip events were more likely when the NAO was going from neg to pos, not pos to neg, so my memory was flawed on that count, as per below; bolding is mine), not how the NAO might impact suppression. Wonder if others remember it being neg to pos NAO regime change being the driver for big winter storms.  

This observational study investigates statistical and synoptic–dynamic relationships between regime transitions, defined as a North Atlantic Oscillation (NAO) or Pacific–North American pattern (PNA) index change from at least a 1 standard deviation anomaly to at least a 1 standard deviation anomaly of opposite sign within 7 days, and cool-season (November–April) northeastern U.S. (NE) precipitation. A statistical analysis is performed of daily cool-season NE precipitation during all NAO and PNA transitions for 1948–2003, and a composite analysis and case study of a major cool-season NE precipitation event occurring during a positive-to-negative NAO transition are conducted. Datasets used are the 0.25° NCEP Unified Precipitation Dataset, the 2.5° NCEP–NCAR reanalysis, and the 1.125° 40-yr ECMWF Re-Analysis (ERA-40).

Results of the statistical analysis suggest that cool-season NE precipitation tends to be enhanced during positive-to-negative NAO and negative-to-positive PNA transitions, and suppressed during negative-to-positive NAO and positive-to-negative PNA transitions. Of the four types of regime transitions, only the positive-to-negative NAO transition is associated with substantially more frequent major cool-season NE precipitation events compared to climatology. Results of the composite analysis and case study indicate that a surface cyclone and cyclonic wave breaking associated with the major NE precipitation event can help produce a high-latitude blocking pattern over the North Atlantic characteristic of a negative NAO pattern via thermal advection, potential vorticity transport, and diabatic processes.

https://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/abs/10.1175/2010MWR3362.1

GFS North Atlantic Oscillation Outlooks

40 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

Very unlikely with the NAO switching rapidly from - to +. Also -AO to +AO favors a storm near the coast.

The biggest issue once again will be the temps. 

Eps is also suppressed but they usually follow each other

I'm more worried about suppression here.

Because of the NAO flip and other factors ’m inclined to think similar along the lines to what Steve D is thinking in that this probably is a PHL north event or it’s not an event at all.  If the pieces come together right this probably goes up the coast.  If not it probably slides OTS and isn’t a big deal for anyone other than the mountains of NC AND VA 

• BxEngine locked this topic
  • Rjay unlocked this topic
  • Rjay unpinned this topic

Archived