Newest Member
    joxey
March 12th - 13th The It's Not Coming Storm Part 2

Rjay

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Light rain/snow currently. Hoping for 3-5” here. I think the city sees an inch or two. East of the William Floyd Parkway should have totals approaching a foot-the NAM has some very impressive banding there and potentially west to Rte 110. 

I think the city sees 2-4 and maybe more if it trends more west tonight.

3 minutes ago, Rtd208 said:

I love a good winter storm just as much as the next person but I think we have alot of wishful thinking/hoping going on right now that this will turn into something bigger for more of the subforum. Honestly, I am getting a bit tired of these snowstorms in March, next winter lets get back to having winter storms from Mid December thru Mid February and we will be back in business.

it's too bad this -NAO block trapped a crappy airmass instead of an arctic one-we would have had a far different outcome on these 3 storms...lots wasted to white rain or plain rain with the marginal airmass in place.

1 minute ago, Brian5671 said:

it's too bad this -NAO block trapped a crappy airmass instead of an arctic one-we would have had a far different outcome on these 3 storms...lots wasted to white rain or plain rain with the marginal airmass in place.

Could have been a special march.  As it is, it’s pretty impressive given the month it’s following.  

1 minute ago, weatherlogix said:

2-4" or 3-5" forecast with marginal temps in mid march equals zero. No bust...just assume wet snow.

2-4 would be mainly wet roads.   You need to get near an inch an hour band to get rates to beat the warm pavement given the lack of true cold the past month.

5 hours ago, gravitylover said:

I was more making a point about how these "bust" statements can change dramatically in a rather short distance. These last two storms were devastating for so many areas on so many levels that just because someone didn't get a whopper of a snowstorm doesn't mean that it didn't happen really close to them.

Just because the surface melt rate is slower doesn't mean it's not also melting from underneath.

Ding ding, warm ground will do it every time. During the first storm on 3/2 at the height of the storm I had nearly a foot on the ground and by the time it stopped snowing we were down to ~8" so that's what I recorded. We lost nearly everything before the next storm and I had 16-18" at one point but before it ended was at 14" and was down to 12" a little after sunrise (3 hours after ending) when I got out to measure again so that's what got recorded. In each of these the lowest layer was pure slush with water running under the snow helping the snow to compact and melt out faster than it was replaced. The snow on the surface accumulated easily and quickly but melted out from underneath almost as quickly at the same time thereby limiting totals in a very noticeable way.

You are suppose to record your maximum depth from the storm for that day. BY NOAA rules you should have recorded 12 inches, but it's your house you can record what you want.

23 minutes ago, sferic said:

JM, Is this a case if you drove 10 miles North from where you live in LB there would be more snow?

I doubt it. It comes to where the western heavy snow band ends up. I could see it getting to around the Sagtikos. West of there this won’t be a big deal. I could even see it busting low because of subsidence here. Warm surface temps won’t help though, but a lot of this will be at night so that’ll be good. 

5 hours ago, RU848789 said:

Doubtful.  Yes, the bottom will always look slushy, since it's a mix of melted snow and snow prior to accumulations beginning, but once the ground is in equilibrium with the snow layer, it's also at 32F, unless you're talking about a city surface above a heat source (like in NYC, where that does make a big difference); by late winter, most of the ground a foot or two or more (depending on where one lives) below the first few inches (if it was warm lately) is frozen (the frost layer), so there is no heat source to melt the snow that starts accumulating.  When surface snow melts, it can form rivulets that can meander through the snowpack to the bottom of it, making it appear as if the snow at the bottom is melting.  I assure you it's not, unless you're in Manhattan with a heat source below the surface.  

By far the biggest factor in snow amounts decreasing after a storm is simple compaction, even if temps are at or below 32F, but especially if just above 32F: I measure 10-25% compaction after almost every storm within several hours after the snow stops.  The "network" of snowflakes and agglomerated snowflakes have a hard time sustaining the bulk density with which they initially layer when they fall - with some surface melting, the agglomerates break down and compact (it's like wet leaves vs. dry leaves).  

The ground isn't frozen at any depth and hasn't been for about 3-4 weeks depending on exposure and soil composition. The warmth just radiates out from it even hours after a storm starts and in the case of the last storm it continued right through the storm. 

Just now, gravitylover said:

The ground isn't frozen at any depth and hasn't been for about 3-4 weeks depending on exposure and soil composition. The warmth just radiates out from it even hours after a storm starts and in the case of the last storm it continued right through the storm. 

it's amazing how some continue to over look this fact.   It's a big reason why latest storms have been a let down to many.    Unless it's puking snow, alot of it gets wasted.  (and even last week, we got 10 inches here in about 3-4 hrs and within hours it had compacted and melted to about 6 or 7)

2 minutes ago, sferic said:

My final guess for this not coming storm:

Central Park  3.7 inches

LGA  4.1 inches

JFK  5.2 inches

Long Beach  6.0 inches

Massepequa  7.2 inches

Hauppague : 8.4 inches

Islip : 10.4 inches

Newark: 4.7 inches

White Plains 4 Inches

Morristown NJ  2.8 inches

Middletown NY   3.4 inches

Boston  11.7 inches

All seem reasonable at this time.

I might add that JFK might see 5.2 but will record 2.8. , they have been horrible this year, LGA not much better. Surprisingly the Conservancy is the most accurate NYC station this year measuring snow.

1 minute ago, Brian5671 said:

it's amazing how some continue to over look this fact.   It's a big reason why latest storms have been a let down to many.    Unless it's puking snow, alot of it gets wasted.  (and even last week, we got 10 inches here in about 3-4 hrs and within hours it had compacted and melted to about 6 or 7)

I still have snow cover lol. Ground has been covered in snow for a week and it was 27 this morning 

6 minutes ago, sferic said:

My final guess for this not coming storm:

Central Park  3.7 inches

LGA  4.1 inches

JFK  5.2 inches

Long Beach  6.0 inches

Massepequa  7.2 inches

Hauppague : 8.4 inches

Islip : 10.4 inches

Newark: 4.7 inches

White Plains 4 Inches

Morristown NJ  2.8 inches

Middletown NY   3.4 inches

Boston  11.7 inches

I think that’s on the high side for west of Suffolk but hopefully you’re right. Boston will also probably see 15”+, maybe 20”. 

• BxEngine unpinned and pinned this topic
  • BxEngine unpinned this topic

Archived