joxey
March Mid/Long Range Disco 3

WxUSAF

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, LP08 said:

I’d also toss the surface temps this far out causing that pocket over us

GFS does that with UHIs now, probably in a recent update, but I'm not sure how reliable it is. Probably would've scored a coup if it were around on the GFS during Snowquester lol

1 minute ago, Cobalt said:

Would near me to double digits. We just need it to hold course. We're also within 5 days now!

If you look at the evolution of tomorrow’s storm, I’d guess there’s going to be model inconsistencies beyond 72 hours...it just seems to be that kind of winter.  The EPS is actually pretty good all things considered with the last two OP runs.  At least it’ll be a fun few days of tracking something to close out winter.  

Just now, Cobalt said:

GFS does that with UHIs now, probably in a recent update, but I'm not sure how reliable it is. Probably would've scored a coup if it were around on the GFS during Snowquester lol

Yeah we have seen it all winter and more often than not it verifies warm. I’m just happy the storm is there and not worrying about the surface

14 minutes ago, eurojosh said:

Horrible at the surface though!

(For DC proper in particular)

probably gonna have to deal with that either way.  mid march is tough here for a start to finish snow.  i'm perfectly ok with a 3-6/4-8/6-12" event.  i'm not even convinced that i want more than that going into spring.  mounds of snow in parking lots is overrated.

6 minutes ago, Tenman Johnson said:

I want to be really wrong but all the sleet and rain earlier did is mess up the dew points. No cold air is pressing in so if we can get an overnight snowfall to accumulate moderately at 35 degrees then I will have learned something 

Huh?  Are you talking about this storm or tomorrow?

5 minutes ago, 87storms said:

probably gonna have to deal with that either way.  mid march is tough here for a start to finish snow.  i'm perfectly ok with a 3-6/4-8/6-12" event.  i'm not even convinced that i want more than that going into spring.  mounds of snow in parking lots is overrated.

This is why we need a coastal bomb to overcome mid-March thermals....seems like it may be either phase or bust, but...who knows!

The little bit of stream interaction produces the snow and the elongated system.  Need more tho...long duration light snow in March isn't going to cut it imo.  Hey, it was a slight improvement after the ops went off the rails on us....I'll take it but hope for continued improvements. 

7 minutes ago, poolz1 said:

The little bit of stream interaction produces the snow and the elongated system.  Need more tho...long duration light snow in March isn't going to cut it imo.  Hey, it was a slight improvement after the ops went off the rails on us....I'll take it but hope for continued improvements. 

Seems like during the night the GFS cranks the rates somewhat SW of DC

gfs_6snow_slp_washdc_22.thumb.png.226fbf5bb53ee7f7aff88006f6110f26.png

2 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

Seems like during the night the GFS cranks the rates somewhat SW of DC

gfs_6snow_slp_washdc_22.thumb.png.226fbf5bb53ee7f7aff88006f6110f26.png

You are right about rates...more impressive than I thought.  But, that image is the 6hrs between 2pm and 8pm.  Daytime snow mod/heavy could work.

I'm going to add some perspective to this thread. Let's assume no model has shown a big hit for next week yet and we saw the euro/gfs/cmc today and this was our "first look" at potential. What would we say? I would say that the euro was close to something good and the gfs was a really good run. I'd also say that there's some upside depending on how juicy the approaching low is and how the streams interact. The euro had the potential but it was disjointed and messy. The 18z gfs was much closer to a clean phase and could have been much bigger. See where I'm coming from?

We saw some monster op runs way out in fantasy land so perspective is different. Everyone is quick to jump on the "losing the storm" train and we're doomed. If we actually just started discussing this threat today we would be thinking differently. Fantasy ops really have little value other than showing that there's a chance of something happening. Pretty much the same with ensembles but ensembles add some probability to the equation. 

IMHO- we're no better or worse off than we were when this threat showed up. We're right on the cusp of lead times where we should see ops converge on a relatively similar solution. My guess is the euro brings the storm back to some degree but even if it doesn't, we still have plenty of time for things to adjust in our favor. I thought the 12z EPS looked pretty similar to all the previous runs with an even mixture of good and bad. 

Archived