Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March Mid/Long Range Discussion 2

Cobalt

Just now, stormtracker said:

Oh it will.  I'm about ready to stop the torture.  Wednesday is day, and now we have to hope for a hail Mary.   I mean, I'm in for the ride, but I'm not optimistic.

Great way to bring in the time change.  I’m am going to think positive this one time and yes where it gets me. I’m think those current snow maps are underdone and we could see higher totals if it stalls like that and snows for 24 hours.   Can’t beleive I said that.  

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, stormtracker said:

Oh it will.  I'm about ready to stop the torture.  Wednesday is dead and now we have to hope for a hail Mary.   I mean, I'm in for the ride, but I'm not optimistic.

After today's GFS run, it can only go downhill, right?

It may very well fail, but the 500 mb set up really is pretty damn good. No denying that. Possibly the best of the winter. Biggest problems are we are approaching mid March and crappy climo, and it is not a very cold looking pattern. We truly do need a bomb.

Just now, C.A.P.E. said:

After today's GFS run, it can only go downhill, right?

It may very well fail, but the 500 mb set up really is pretty damn good. No denying that. Possibly the best of the winter. Biggest problems are we are approaching mid March and crappy climo, and it is not a very cold looking pattern. We truly do need a bomb.

Yes.

What the GFS has right now would be a winter-saver.  Sure, I'm being pessimistic, but I'm also being real.  That storm has indeed been there on the models for quite a few runs and it's legit.  Give that to me in under 96 hours and I'll warm up.

14 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

Oh it will.  I'm about ready to stop the torture.  Wednesday is dead and now we have to hope for a hail Mary.   I mean, I'm in for the ride, but I'm not optimistic.

It's not torture to me. I never expect it to snow so when it fails it's no big deal. And I love the thrill and challenge of the chase. But I don't blame you for that take. But your also not one who comes in here and tells others what to do or makes fun of us for tracking. They are the ones that are like nails on a chalkboard. 

2 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

Ok.  You know I'm normally always in till the end.  But I'm beaten down.  I'm genuinely glad to see folks excited, but I have zero gas in the tank.  I'm running on fumes

That actually makes it easier. I'm not necessarily beaten down...I simply dont care one way or the other. I moved on mentally a week ago. I'm tracking stuff but with no investment or risk of loss. It's liberating. 

2 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

That actually makes it easier. I'm not necessarily beaten down...I simply dont care one way or the other. I moved on mentally a week ago. I'm tracking stuff but with no investment or risk of loss. It's liberating. 

I think you put it better.  I'm at that stage now. 

For reference, here's the 0z eps meteo for gburg. Looks fairly bullish for the 11th-13th and is the best eps run for the period we've seen. I have a hunch 12z will look better and so on. 

It makes complete logical sense to get our shot as the neg nao breaks down. There's quite a list of past events that worked lIke that. Otoh- it makes complete sense for March climo to fight back at this point. Weak or fringed isn't going to do it like prime climo. It's pretty much all or nothing in my opinion. 

eZ9Q8r7.jpg

The gfs sniffed out the potential for next weekend when it came into the 384 hour window last week. Looking at the heights across North America this run, it also looked like the time when the pattern is breaking down, which is always a period for potential. But I was surprised to see the pattern looking to reload at the end of the run and bring another potential system with a favorable track.

I'm not getting greedy but just making a point that maybe this is the real deal because this pattern is fraught with potential. If next Monday's storm were to happen, I'd fully expect the pattern to break down just has it has after other big events but the reload is good to see if even fiction.

15 minutes ago, Ji said:

Why so pessimistic this is The Final Storm before the negative Nao breaks down...classic Heather A

I'm not pessimistic. It's the best setup we've had since Jan 2016. (Not saying much lol). But it is mid march and it's been a tough 2 year stretch so many are just emotionaly drained.  

7 minutes ago, Amped said:

Saw the deepening high over the lakes yesterday when it showed rain.  That's always something to watch for when looking for a good event in our area.

High near the Gr Lakes + Low near the Canadian Maritimes. Check on the GFS/GEFS.

Need more support but it is sort of tempting to believe in a GFS type scenario, although obviously I would not go with it as my scenario since it's a bit ludicrous in the result.  In other words, there is decent likelihood of a big storm in that period and also it is somewhat less believable that the storm would be inland v coastal despite a more favorable look for the former on ensembles, at least in ways. Models have not been particularly amazing at any range this winter, and they are still doing perhaps less good than you'd expect in a blocking pattern. With the -NAO supposedly giving in, at least for a time, it's also generally a favorable window historically for something on the bigger side.. plus March etc etc.  I would tend to favor a coastal in that period but would not get into too much detail for now.  

Oh...I see the GFS served up another day 8/9 goodie...Given all those that have gone "poof" this winter...I'm too afraid to buy into this, despite what you guys have been saying about how the look and timing could be almost textbook, lol Maybe for my own sanity, I'll take a few days off and check back Wednesday to see if it's still there...lol (nah, I don't think the snow weenie section of my brain will be able to resist, but we'll see!) But man we deserve this to pan out, don't we? Lol

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived