Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
-NAO Coastal Bomb March 1-3, 2018 Disco

WeatherFeen2000

23 minutes ago, nzucker said:

Well yes because we are downstream from the Pacific.

The Pacific is a constant source of frustration for us.  The reason why Eurasia is colder than us is because of how large that continent is and they dont have the largest body of water in the world to the west of them.  The Korean Peninsula, Northern Japan and the Kamchatka Peninsula have a similar climate to ours, but more exciting and extreme because of not having the Pacific to their west.  

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ISSUED: 4:04 AM FEB. 28, 2018 – NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE
...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM LATE THURSDAY NIGHT THROUGH
FRIDAY EVENING...

* WHAT...Heavy snow possible. Total snow accumulations of 5 to 9
inches, are possible. The higher end snow amounts will be in the
higher elevations.

* WHERE...In Pennsylvania, Susquehanna and Northern Wayne
Counties. In New York, Northern Oneida, Yates, Seneca,
Southern Cayuga, Onondaga, Steuben, Schuyler, Chemung,
Tompkins, Southern Oneida, Tioga, Broome and Sullivan Counties.

* WHEN...From late Thursday night through Friday evening.

2 minutes ago, bluewave said:

The NAM actually went north from what is was showing yesterday along with models like Euro and Ukmet.  All the 0z guidance shifted warmer like it has all winter.

Even record blocking can't save us from the excessive warmth. This easily would've been a big snowstorm a decade or so ago.

2 minutes ago, bluewave said:

The NAM actually went north from what is was showing yesterday along with models like Euro and Ukmet.  All the 0z guidance shifted warmer like it has all winter.

There will be a limit though

Then we have to see where the ccb sets up. Very interesting storm.

10 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

Even record blocking can't save us from the excessive warmth. This easily would've been a big snowstorm a decade or so ago.

This has nothing to do with the year showing on a calendar or the month in which it's occurring. 

Did we not have a 30" 2 years ago? Did we not have a large snow storm just 2 months ago? 

1 minute ago, bluewave said:

Not really a fan of the chance of some snow near the end after over 90% of the event is rain on the front end along the coast.

Remember March 2001 ?

We can always hope for that to happen here lol

The transfer will be the key here. I think we will all see some snow at the end 

7 minutes ago, weatherlogix said:

This has nothing to do with the year showing on a calendar or the month in which it's occurring. 

Did we not have a 30" 2 years ago? Did we not have a large snow storm just 2 months ago? 

Blocking doesn't mean anything at all if we have a favorable Pacific.

3 minutes ago, PB COLTS NECK NJ said:

For the coastal regions yes but in areas in NWNJ and the HV , they will go under a WS Warning before this is over.

Just hoping for 2.5 inches on the CT coast to get to seasonal average. I think this is doable IF yesterday's NAM and EURO depiction come to fruition.

8 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

March 2001. I bet the majority of this forum would take it now in a heartbeat save NJ.

NJSnow-05Mar01.png.1497067a47cddefc56219ca6d385c9e4.png

This was actually the second biggest bust of all time here, second to only January 25-28, 2015 where a forecast of 24-36" 24 hours out yielded flurries for about five minutes. At least in March 2001 we had a few inches of slop, but the forecast at the time was for a record breaking snowstorm. Schools closed for two days in advance and we might have received 4" total.

7 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

This was actually the second biggest bust of all time here, second to only January 25-28, 2015 where a forecast of 24-36" 24 hours out yielded flurries for about five minutes. At least in March 2001 we had a few inches of slop, but the forecast at the time was for a record breaking snowstorm. Schools closed for two days in advance and we might have received 4" total.

March 2001 just 20-25 miles NE of you I ended up with 15 inches from that storm most of it on the back end in about a 4-5 hour period. Kept waiting and waiting and it finally delievered something tangible.

1 minute ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

20-25 miles NE of you I ended up with 15 inches from that storm most of it on the back end in about a 4-5 hour period. Kept waiting and waiting and it finally delievered something tangible.

There might have actually been an inch or two in Mahwah where I currently live but I used to live in Pompton Plains which is in Morris County. And yes, it was very frustrating watching the radar hit a brick wall just to my East. Like I said, we had heavy flurries which commenced late that night and I thought finally it's coming, but it was very short lived and didn't even accumulate. 

If I remember correctly with the January 15 storm, most of the guidance shifted East the day before the storm, but the Euro held serve, and mostly everyone here strongly believed in the Euro because it had almost never been that wrong at such a short lead time. Well the Euro was knocked down a few pegs that night, because it busted by about 100 miles less than 24 hours out.

I don’t see why anyone here can be disappointed. This has always been a rain event for the coast. 

The real issue is the polar vortex split sending all of the cold air into Europe. Had we had a better air mass in place we would be talking a MECs. Even then there would still be rain issues on the immediate coast

16 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

I don’t see why anyone here can be disappointed. This has always been a rain event for the coast. 

The real issue is the polar vortex split sending all of the cold air into Europe. Had we had a better air mass in place we would be talking a MECs. Even then there would still be rain issues on the immediate coast

It doesn't help when you have a whole handful of posters misleading people into thinking that snow for the coast was a real possibility. If, and that's a big if, the Euro ends up being mostly correct, then a lot of us could see snow, even down to the coast. But the rest of the guidance doesn't really support that.

Archived