joxey
-NAO Coastal Bomb March 1-3, 2018 Disco

WeatherFeen2000

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

Atlantic city gets more snow than NYC and immediate suburbs

because NYC is on the wrong side of the circulation of the LP and AC is getting more of a northerly flow keeping the warmer ocean air out - this whole NAM solution should be considered HIGHLY suspect - no model at this point can forecast the exact track of this storm - there will be errors on all of them and those errors could mean the difference between a heavy snowfall for any location and nothing.........

7 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

Wrong, there is no cold air to work with, the cold air on the NAM is produced by adiabatic cooling, heat release aided by strong lift in the atmosphere. If you want snow on Long Island you need the low to close off later.

Nj and the Hudson valley certainly have a chance, but yes long islannd has a lot of work to do. 

Just now, NEG NAO said:

because NYC is on the wrong side of the circulation of the LP and AC is getting more of a northerly flow keeping the warmer ocean air out - this whole NAM solution should be considered HIGHLY suspect - no model at this point can forecast the exact track of this storm - there will be errors on all of them and those errors could mean the difference between a heavy snowfall for any location and nothing.........

I totally disagree, the NAM made perfect sense in terms of track and cold air distribution if it works out that way with the 500mb low. As I said earlier, where and when that closes off and how far South is the key. If it doesn't close off till South of Long Island then we are too far West to get much of anything and New England gets buried. This is very much a relatively localized event that favors areas further south because of the strong block. If not for that this storm would have nailed Northern New England and we would have dry slotted after the rain tomorrow. 

6 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

I totally disagree, the NAM made perfect sense in terms of track and cold air distribution if it works out that way with the 500mb low. As I said earlier, where and when that closes off and how far South is the key. If it doesn't close off till South of Long Island then we are too far West to get much of anything and New England gets buried. This is very much a relatively localized event that favors areas further south because of the strong block. If not for that this storm would have nailed Northern New England and we would have dry slotted after the rain tomorrow. 

of course it makes perfect sense IF it works out that way - BUT its not going to work out that way - guaranteed  and no one can predict exactly how this will unfold this far out

Just now, snywx said:

You are going to get buried bro.. That elevation is really gonna help this time. 

Yup, all levels of the atmosphere are plenty cold enough with the exception of the surface, which will be corrected by both elevation and adiabatic cooling. That strip that runs from about Butler up through Orange County is in for something special. Pure paste job in surrounding areas.

1 minute ago, NJwx85 said:

20-30%

I would like to see your new snow map

2 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

The only difference between the 00z Euro and the 12z NAM is that the Euro was slightly more progressive.

3 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

20-30%

Just now, NJwx85 said:

Yup, all levels of the atmosphere are plenty cold enough with the exception of the surface, which will be corrected by both elevation and adiabatic cooling. That strip that runs from about Butler up through Orange County is in for something special. Pure paste job in surrounding areas.

You can clearly see where the CCB sets up and pivots. Fun times ahead

Just now, snywx said:

You can clearly see where the CCB sets up and pivots. Fun times ahead

The NAM's depiction of the 500mb jet wrapping up overhead brings a tear to my eye. I know that this could all change at 18z, but for the time being I am enjoying this, and hope the Euro gets further on board.

4 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

The NAM's depiction of the 500mb jet wrapping up overhead brings a tear to my eye. I know that this could all change at 18z, but for the time being I am enjoying this, and hope the Euro gets further on board.

CCB sets up shop at hr 45 and just pivots and rots overhead till about hr 63. 

8 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

I'm a lurker.  Most of the time I have an idea of what we need to improve our chances of a more frozen outcome based on dialogue.  This time I have no idea.  What do we need for an improvement in reference to the Nam run. Close off earlier/later, further south/north/east/west? Or, is it as good as it will get?

2 minutes ago, kvn139 said:

I'm a lurker.  Most of the time I have an idea of what we need to improve our chances of a more frozen outcome based on dialogue.  This time I have no idea.  What do we need for an improvement in reference to the Nam run. Close off earlier/later, further south/north/east/west? Or, is it as good as it will get?

12z NAM can't get any better for NJ given the actual synoptic setup a day or so before the storm. Obviously, for NYC, if the H5 low is 50 miles further east, NYC gets into better CCB.

3 minutes ago, kvn139 said:

Basically you want to be just to the NW of that 500mb low. 

Archived