Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
-NAO Coastal Bomb March 1-3, 2018 Disco

WeatherFeen2000

2 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

There's definitely going to be a strong coastal though with major impacts. Nobody escapes with the AO at -4 (lowest of season) and the lowest NAO in months.

There will be surprises and models aren't locked in yet.

Having the Epo negative will also help us with this storm.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Euro snowmap distribution looks almost exactly like my snow map from yesterday. I think we get more snow than what the models are depicting. I think this is a i95 up to Trenton paste job. Probably just north and west of that line could get clobbered with 12+ everyone was laughing at it i laughed too. Hope it trends better

P.s. I think the storm stalls and loops a bit like the nam. Watch that on future runs

4 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

There's definitely going to be a strong coastal though with major impacts. Nobody escapes with the AO at -4 (lowest of season) and the lowest NAO in months.

There will be surprises and models aren't locked in yet.

The storm is progressive though, not like something that would sit off the NJ coast a la 12/92. If it stalls it would happen off Cape Cod. That makes the severe impacts focus east of here in New England. There’ll be some coastal flooding but it’ll be a typical windy, rainy Thu night, maybe snowy Fri morning for most of the metro. The story will be what happens north of us. 

3 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

The storm is progressive though, not like something that would sit off the NJ coast a la 12/92. If it stalls it would happen off Cape Cod. That makes the severe impacts focus east of here in New England. There’ll be some coastal flooding but it’ll be a typical windy, rainy Thu night, maybe snowy Fri morning for most of the metro. The story will be what happens north of us. 

The NAM disagrees, and I know I criticize that model a lot, but it has done well this year.

Funny how this place changes in 24 hours, yesterday the ECM was supposedly on crack and everyone laughing at it.  Now it’s the concrete solution. 

For the ones concerned that ohh no, all the cold will still be back in Canada, it’ll be creating its own cold in a sense, with 500mb crashing / mixing things up on its own.  Rarely do we see 500mb bomb like this crashing and forming directly overhead...surface Lows yes, but not 500mb’s.     In a sense it forms as fast as a surface low does, also rare. 

interested to see how dramatic / sudden the change with the winds will be once it starts backing up.

8 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

The NAM disagrees, and I know I criticize that model a lot, but it has done well this year.

It's something to watch. If it does stall/spin around further west, the coastal flood threat starts to increase again. I'm a little encouraged that the primary seems to want to track a little further south and transfer slightly sooner on guidance today. Means a little less warm air to overcome. 

This is not, never was and never will be a New York City snowstorm. The city will be lucky to see a trace. Even up by me in Rockland County, this is a trace to maybe if lucky, a 1 inch event. This is a snowstorm for the higher elevations in Sussex and Orange Counties on north. People are simply wishcasting and latching on to whatever model shows the most snow. And contrary to what some are saying here, this event is not “getting colder”. There is no cold air to wrap in. Dynamic cooling from aloft yes. Some just don’t know what they are talking about 

3 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

This is not, never was and never will be a New York City snowstorm. The city will be lucky to see a trace. Even up by me in Rockland County, this is a trade to maybe if lucky, a 1 inch event. This is a snowstorm for the higher elevations in Sussex and Orange Counties on north. People are simply wishcasting and latching on to whatever model shows the most snow. And contrary to what some are saying here, this event is not “getting colder”. There is no cold air to wrap in. Dynamic cooling from aloft yes. Some just don’t know what they are talking about 

a few lucky areas on the local coastal plain will cash in on the dynamics but it likely won't be widespread (and that will be a nowcast)....higher elevations different story.

1 minute ago, Snow88 said:

Quite possible you may be right but the models are still shifting

starting at 18Z its time to be giving more consideration to the mesoscale models rather then the globals since we are approaching the 24 hour mark before the storm begins

Archived