Newest Member
    joxey
-NAO Coastal Bomb March 1-3, 2018 Disco

WeatherFeen2000

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, NEG NAO said:

To be fair I think Upton and Mt. Holly should have left the door open a little wider for significant changes in their forecast during the next 24 hours

I’m quite surprised as well , the coldest dynamics and heaviest backend precip will be moving in at the perfect time ..late Thursday night.    Just enough to keep temps in the borderline range, which is all that’s needed, dynamics will take over.  Heavy snow should be a widespread thing Friday morning. 

If it were to occur during the afternoon , I’d be much less certain... with a March sun.

3 minutes ago, White Gorilla said:

Nice snow hole on the Goofus over my area in Poughkeepsie.  Broke my heart. 

Meh its doing nothing over most of NJ so don't feel bad. Still a lot of confusion about this but to listen to the media there's not much going on but rain and "maybe" some snow. Every time I hear Poughkeepsie I think of Gene Hackman and Popeye Doyle.....

1 hour ago, NJwx85 said:

48 hours out, first guess on actual accumulations

sketched_5a971fb4eea36.png

Pink - Coating to 2"

Light Blue - 1-3"

Dark Blue - 2-4"

Green - 3-6"

Red - 4-8"

Black - 12"+

I like it. I like the option for coating to 2 inches. This goes with my continued honking that this is a car topper for the city. I will say it’s to far south on the northern side. The southern greens and whites will definitly be in the 12”+ range.

for areas Nw with some elevation (animal, you should have everyone over for a blizzard party) we can use an example of a storm down south a few years ago. It had cold aloft and garbage surface temps. It was able to create its own airmass and led to serious totals. I forget the exact storm. Also I like November 12 for another example of dynamic cooling snows. Just further NW. 

And finally, if winds due gust up to 60mph watch out for tree damage as we already have saturated soils. There is a tremendous fetch out over the Atlantic so a massive long period swell will effect area beaches Saturday into Sunday. Take a ride down to the beach if you want to see some of the biggest surf you will ever see around here

25 minutes ago, Snow88 said:

18z HRDPS is beautiful. Storm stalls and spins just east of LI. Rain to pounding snow for the area.

Does remind one of Feb 26 2010.  Here in Nassau County we had an inch of rain followed by a foot of snow.  I would cut those snowfall  amounts to 1/10 for this storm though ;-)

54 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

The GFS has become one of the worst models available. The 84hr NAM is often more accurate. The GFS is useful for picking up threats way in advance and that’s about it.

as of now it looks like  the NAM with its outrageous snow totals will be the worst model for this storm unless it comes into line with the more accurate models at 0Z .

22 minutes ago, NEG NAO said:

why don't you show another mesoscale model like the RGEM Mr. Snow Goggles

rgem_asnow_neus_54.png

How did the last storm work out for you ? I have gotten more storms this year than you have smarty pants.

Anyway Rgem at 54 hours is in its long range so grain of salt.

Like I said , pattern supports snow here.

8 minutes ago, NEG NAO said:

as of now it looks like  the NAM with its outrageous snow totals will be the worst model for this storm unless it comes into line with the more accurate models at 0Z .

LOL 

Euro and Nam show the similiar situation but different amounts. Keep dismissing the snow because the NWS says so.

8 minutes ago, NEG NAO said:

But Neg what if the NAM nails this storm and the other models are not as accurate ? Would not be the first time it was correct 

Just now, Brasiluvsnow said:

But Neg what if the NAM nails this storm and the other models are not as accurate ? Would not be the first time it was correct 

Nam has had a good season. The mesoscale models will do great in these setups.

The blocking will not let the primary go further north. A secondary should form in SNJ or just south of there.

2 minutes ago, Brasiluvsnow said:

with WPC at 5 -10 % chance for over 1 inch in the immediate NYC metro I feel confident now that this will be 80 % rain with a mix/changeover the last 20 % with warm surface that amounts to less then 1 inch - WPC - Mt. Holly - Upton - I am going with like I said earlier if for some strange reason they change their outlook later tonight/tomorrow I will agree with them - nobody here except maybe a MET or 2 have the forecasting skills they do .

Archived