Newest Member
    joxey
-NAO Coastal Bomb March 1-3, 2018 Disco

WeatherFeen2000

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, NEG NAO said:

Agreed - I think there will only be a coating if that east of the GSP and south of 78 in NJ - Interior Northern NJ could get moderate accumulations - as of today things could change - surface temps especially during daylight hours will be an issue unless intensity overcomes that

If that GGEM verifies that’s probably all that’ll happen.  We would need more like the NAM or the Euro showed yesterday 

14 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

In an event like this with marginal temps most snow maps will suck except for higher terrain which are well cold enough.  We saw how bad they were with the system a couple of weeks ago when we saw 4 inches plus in many areas near NYC

The NAM, ECMWF, and RGEM did far better than the GFS. More than likely, the GFS's lower vertical resolution contributed to unrealistically warm forecast soundings.

As others have said, ignore the snow maps.

We need the strong dynamics overhead in order to get snow. 

The track of the 500mb low, when and where that closes off is the key to everything. 

This is actually nothing like March 2001. In that situation, the 500mb low closed off over the Ohio Valley and the SLP pinwheeled too far East.

The UK also matches my idea. Our chance for anything decent snowwise for non north/west/elevated posters is with what precip can rotate around the closed upper low. I can see a situation where it's like 3/7/13 and many of us get several inches, or it really all does focus on the Boston area and I-90 from the easterly jet with little rotating around. It's starting to look like much of what does pivot around falls during the day Friday, which wouldn't be great for accumulating. Besides that this should be a nasty but nothing serious couple of days. The main axis of impacts should be north of us since most of us should dryslot for a while.

2 hours ago, NJwx85 said:

Yup, all levels of the atmosphere are plenty cold enough with the exception of the surface, which will be corrected by both elevation and adiabatic cooling. That strip that runs from about Butler up through Orange County is in for something special. Pure paste job in surrounding areas.

Funny, i remember you ripping me for the elevation comments a few days ago. I’m not trying to stir the pot just mentioning that my thinking looks to play out. Man Mt. Pocono. 

I still think this is a 90% rain event for the city 

1 minute ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Funny, i remember you ripping me for the elevation comments a few days ago. I’m not trying to stir the pot just mentioning that my thinking looks to play out. Man Mt. Pocono. 

I agree, vast majority of this will be rain around the city, and the second part could be white rain if it falls during the day Friday and at light-mod rates. For this area we need the CCB to overproduce on the west side of the closed low and hope it doesn't all focus on I-90 in Mass. 

This looks to be a climo-reminder kick in the groin storm. It's hard to get through a Nina without your late redeveloping miller B, I-90 focused dumping event sooner or later. The coastal flooding and heavy rain aspect looked more serious down here a few days ago, but the upper air evolution and progressive nature of it should keep it nasty but run-of-the-mill. 

10 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

My thinking has changed because the 500mb low track changed. 

Just now, ag3 said:

Yes it is. Euro cut back majorly for interior precip. Keeps the CCB along NJ, LI and SNE.

I wasn't comparing it to last nights Euro run, just the UKMET.

In any event, I expect a correction back to the West, this is your typical windshield washer scenario. The strong block shouldn't allow the storm to gain as much latitude as shown today on most of the 12z guidance.

Archived