Newest Member
    joxey
February 7th Snow To Rain Event

Cobalt

• Replies 561
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

The easterly component does help there, and areas to the west out near Frederick to WV are probably in a better spot for prolonged icing in that kind of setup, but if you really want to lock in cold, we want really light winds to calm. That shows a pretty stout surface inversion layer present to trap the cold near the ground. There's nothing we can do above the ground for later in the morning or afternoon with the high to the north on the move and southwesterlies working in on the eastern flank of the low. We can do what we do best with CAD, and that's my biggest concern. The biggest question beforehand is how fast can qpf shield reach into the area while the thermal profiles are still ripe for snow. I think areas north of I-70 are in play for a thump before any flip. 

I missed a pretty sig ice event yesterday by 1-2 degrees.  After a good glaze, the temp hovered at 33 for hours as the rain came down.  It's funny how you learn the little microclimates around your immediate area.  I live in a valley that faces SSE and opens up wide to Loudon Co.  We seem to warm quickly on a light S wind as it funnels right up the valley...on the other hand, add a little easterly component and the cold air remains trapped.

Not an ideal setup but as far as interesting weather goes...its all we got.

3 minutes ago, yoda said:

lol at the TT maps... 6"+ MRB to HGR and to the NW of there on 18z 12km NAM

Yes please! I guess we haven't had a good NAM'ming yet this year have we?

Although it seems the 3K has been doing better in that dept this year -- as Wes mentioned earlier, it handled temps pretty well for yesterday's event. 

7 minutes ago, yoda said:

lol at the TT maps... 6"+ MRB to HGR and to the NW of there on 18z 12km NAM

That's because it's tallying sleet into the snow accumulation.    Looking at the TT positive snow depth change is a lot more useful here.

That's not to say there is no chance of a front end thump, as you noted that some of the Hi-Res Window runs are snowier;  it's just that the NAM 10:1 snow accum maps here are telling a misleading story.

In response to @NorthArlington101 post above:

If 12z WRF-ARW were to be accepted -- it gets snow into DCA at hour 45 (09z WED) or so... and looks like it would be a decent 2-4 hr snow "event" before switch to freezing rain.  Hr 48 (12z THUR) sounding is 29/29 at the surface in Fairfax County, but its quickly becoming isothermal as you go upstairs. Its a TT map... but it suggests around 2" of snow has fallen as the run ends with possibly a little bit more to come.  12z WRF-ARW2 looks quite similar... interesting both suggest 2" of snow by 12z WED... early and quick burst of snow leads to this.  12z WRF-ARW2 starts as snow at 08z WED... switches to freezing rain by 12z WED.  12z WRF-ARW2 says its 29/29 as well in Fairfax County, with the 800-850 layer just above zero - so more freezing rain to come -- for reference, EZF is 31/31 at the same time. 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived