Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 7th Snow To Rain Event

Cobalt

24 minutes ago, high risk said:

That's because it's tallying sleet into the snow accumulation.    Looking at the TT positive snow depth change is a lot more useful here.

That's not to say there is no chance of a front end thump, as you noted that some of the Hi-Res Window runs are snowier;  it's just that the NAM 10:1 snow accum maps here are telling a misleading story.

Does the 3K NAM suffer from the same issue? It's juiced up quite a bit from 12Z, 10:1 looking good out here and in Mappyland (snow maps showing 6").

Total positive snowfall and Ferrier much less impressive at around 1"....so I'm guessing the reality is mostly sleet/mix.

• Replies 561
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, MountainGeek said:

Does the 3K NAM suffer from the same issue? It's juiced up quite a bit from 12Z, 10:1 looking good out here and in Mappyland (snow maps showing 6").

Total positive snowfall and Ferrier much less impressive at around 1"....so I'm guessing the reality is mostly sleet/mix.

Pure 10:1 snow maps will soon be a thing of the past imo.

11 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Wish I could change the scale of the Swiss model but here ya go. Very solid event up on the MD/PA border, decent if you get just outside of DC.

Wow I'm not very familiar with the Swiss HD model --- is it actually trying to show a narrow precip shadow east of the BR/AT? First time I think I've ever seen that level of fine detail before for this area.

Wow I'm not very familiar with the Swiss HD model --- is it actually trying to show a narrow precip shadow east of the BR/AT? First time I think I've ever seen that level of fine detail before for this area.

It’s usually very detailed. It is “Super HD”. I usually glance at it without sharing, but since someone commented it did well last time figured I might as well..

38 minutes ago, MountainGeek said:

Yes, and the GFS too.     The combination of tallying sleet and the blanket 10:1 inflate the snow totals a lot in these scenarios.     The Ferrier and positive snowfall maps do a much better job accounting for what can really accumulate as snow.

Just now, Ji said:

Nam is awful

Yes it’s so beyond bad that the light from bad won’t reach it for a 1000years.  But I don’t care.  I never liked this event even out west. High in the mid 40s and then a big thump followed by ice.  Not this winter.  This weekend had a departing airmass that was frigid.  Not a great set up.

Just now, BristowWx said:

Yes it’s so beyond bad that the light from bad won’t reach it for a 1000years.  But I don’t care.  I never liked this event even out west. High in the mid 40s and then a big thump followed by ice.  Not this winter.  This weekend had a departing airmass that was frigid.  Not a great set up.

Lol you were all over how terrible super bowl Sunday was and look what happened

The angle that the precip comes in is really killing us. Looks pretty dry for DCA before changeover to rain

Some of the mesos had a better look and it had to do with how they placed the developing low. I’m on mobile or else I’d pull up a bunch of images but the NAMs have the low developing in central Kentucky then moving up the spine of the Apps, while the runs that work have it closer to a TN-then who knows where pass.

The latest runs certainly are putting a damper on any front end snow potential outside the northern areas of MD, but I wouldn’t completely sleep on the icing aspect of the system. One or two degrees colder at the ground, and we have a more prolonged icing risk. Certainly a school decision nightmare incoming.

1 minute ago, MillvilleWx said:

The latest runs certainly are putting a damper on any front end snow potential outside the northern areas of MD, but I wouldn’t completely sleep on the icing aspect of the system. One or two degrees colder at the ground, and we have a more prolonged icing risk. Certainly a school decision nightmare incoming.

The schools will be in no-man's land for sure, but what's different here is that we'll probably hit 40 Tuesday and then only drop to a couple of degrees below freezing early Wednesday.  Saturday into Saturday night was considerably colder (and drier).   Thinking that the treated roads will be fine Wednesday, and glazing will be limited to trees and such (with temps as currently modeled).

NAM3 has a little more with the initial precip around dawn (although mostly for DC and north), and it then looks like a Sunday repeat through noon - temperatures right around 32 along I-95 and just bellow to the northwest.    The roads would be fine, but the trees would glaze up good.

I’m definitely getting deja vu with this one.

25 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Looks like WWA s up for just south of DC on north and west .

Edit...actually all the way down past Charlottesville, Va 

lwx.png

Seems way over done especially for eastern sections based on their official forecast; which is basically less than an inch of snow.

I guess our snow drought has really lowered the bar. We are now Atlanta.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived