joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 29/30 snow event

TauntonBlizzard2013

• Replies 976
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So it seems like I've been to this rodeo before.   The NAM is probably going to come almost all the way west and drill the .75" line back to almost a BAF-ASH/EEN, with 1.0" ORH-BED and 1.5" close to the Canal..   Then, 12z tomorrow, it lops 1/3 off those numbers and then the it goes on to verifies reasonably well.. 

we'll see.

Could also be mimicking that rodeo .. but the above seems to play out over and over and over again with these needle threader deals that have such narrow margins for error a slight wiggle or additional input parameter moves the gradient west.

40 minutes ago, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

I think confidence is increasing in my map, will wait to make adjustments if needed after the 00z runs tonight.  I think warning snows end up happening in the WWA right now and then the WWA gets moved towards ORH.

No fence sitting with you James, gotta appreciate a man with conviction.

19 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

So it seems like I've been to this rodeo before.   The NAM is probably going to come almost all the way west and drill the .75" line back to almost a BAF-ASH/EEN, with 1.0" ORH-BED and 1.5" close to the Canal..   Then, 12z tomorrow, it lops 1/3 off those numbers and then the it goes on to verifies reasonably well.. 

we'll see.

Could also be mimicking that rodeo .. but the above seems to play out over and over and over again with these needle threader deals that have such narrow margins for error a slight wiggle or additional input parameter moves the gradient west.

Even at 1/3 off (the usual NAM discount) I would be shocked at numbers that high.

But then again...

10 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Crazy how these progressive flows can wreak havoc with guidance right up until go time.

Esp in La Niña it seems. It makes sense though because we tend to get much tighter geopotential gradients....the opposite tends to happen in El Niño with the bagginess of the geopotential heights in the south and not much arctic PV anomaly in canada during Niño. 

19 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

we'll see.

This definitely feels a bit like you describe. We're running pretty thin on time but we've still seen it happen before this close in and the strong trend has already been established with every run during the day today...so you almost expect the NAM to put up a 1-spot (an inch of qpf) for BOS this 00z run. 

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Esp in La Niña it seems. It makes sense though because we tend to get much tighter geopotential gradients....the opposite tends to happen in El Niño with the bagginess of the geopotential heights in the south and not much arctic PV anomaly in canada during Niño. 

This definitely feels a bit like you describe. We're running pretty thin on time but we've still seen it happen before this close in and the strong trend has already been established with every run during the day today...so you almost expect the NAM to put up a 1-spot (an inch of qpf) for BOS this 00z run. 

Exactly....el nino is more predictable.

Archived