Newest Member
    joxey
February Mid/Long Range Discussion

George BM

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

Cmc is actually a decent solution. Northern low washes out and the southern low gets going just off the coast. I'd lock the cmc in right now. 

Close to warning criteria for some.  Not bad, but would be washed away in a jiffy. And I’m cool with that!

1 minute ago, Maestrobjwa said:

This may be a more technical question, but...what is it with all the HPs dropping down in almost the same spot through the run? Forgive me if this is a novice question (but I am one, still, lol), but I'm curious...something to do with northern stream dominance and such?

No blocking and a WAR. There is no confluence so highs will drop south and slide east. That won't change unless the upper levels to our north and NE do. 

2 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

The other day I showed that if you take out the 8 snoweist winters in the last 30 the other 73% of winters only averaged 7.8" at DCA.  And that was more "normal" then the 17" average which comes from a few outliers.  I didnt pick 8 randomly there were 8 above average winters and a pretty clear divide between the other 22 winters.  

So I did the same for BWI and IAD.  The results are slightly better but still pretty depressing.  

For BWI removing the 8 best years gives an average of only 10.5" in the other 22 years...

IAD had an average of 12.4" 

So basically once we realize a year isnt likely to be one of those 8 outlier big snowfall years....7.8", 10.5", and 12.4" is much more what we should expect as an "normal" winter over 70% of the time then the "average" numbers which are skewed by those 2-3 outlier winters each decade.  

Great info. We hit home runs decently but a lot of 5-10 in there 

13 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Cmc is actually a decent solution. Northern low washes out and the southern low gets going just off the coast. I'd lock the cmc in right now. 

Yeah, just saw that.  CMC is best way out for us.  I cant believe how the GFS is bouncing lows around like ping pong balls.  Toggle from 18z.  Its just nuts.  I'm not buying the cutter option its showing yet.  CMC and Ikon were a little flatter, which i think helps.  This IS a hobby not for the feint of heart.  

I was going to wait to drop this info until a dead time but since the 0z runs seem to be a hot mess I might as well throw it in now.  

There have been 20 la nina years since 1950.  Only 2 of the 20 had above normal snowfall...obvious outliers. IF you remove those 2 the mean snowfall for BWI is 12.2".  So given that comprises 18 examples out of 20 total its a pretty clear majority and what we should simply expect in a nina...this year seems right about on pace with that.  

Digging deeper there were 24 snowfalls of 4" or more at BWI during all Nina years 1950 to current.

ONLY 4 occurred without any significant NAO help but 2 of those 4 when examining the h5 had de facto -NOA's that just weren't captured by the index because of a ridge located in the eastern Atlantic.  But for our purposes having the couplet of ridging over Greenland and lower heights under it is what matters more then the actual index value.  

So in 20 years....only 2 snowfalls of 4" or more happened without a -NAO.  So were back to what I thought back in the fall then let myself forget...unless we get NAO help we are fighting a losing battle.  The EPO can lead to snowfall but it seems that is not the case in a nina.  My guess is the progressive northern stream and lack of STJ combine to make it very difficult for the EPO/PNA alone to get the job done.  Absent some blocking to slow down the flow its just not going to work.  Plus with the WAR you typically get with a +NAO northern stream systems are likely to end up north of us.  It's just a bad mix.  

The 2 exceptions seem to be flukes.  One was a 4" clipper in Feb 1972. 

The other was 4.8" in Janaury 1984 and that pattern actually was EPO driven and similar to now only the NAO was neutral not positive and the lower heights east of the EPO ridge were centered much further south then right now.  We wanted them north of last time but not as far north as they are setting up this time it seems.  

So that's it...in 20 years we have only had 2 fluke snowfalls without NAO help.  So in a nina it seems we NEED the NAO...there is no other path to victory...note the 2 exceptions werent even really blockbusters... they were marginal and barely even made it onto my list of 4" plus events...and they were the ONLY examples.  If we want a significant event we must get the NAO to go negative or were toast.  I don't see any other conclusion from the data.  

one silver lining from the data, there seems to be a prevailing opinion that February and March in a nina sucks...the data doesn't back that up.  I am not saying those warm anomaly maps are wrong but those can be skewed by a few really hot months.  And we can get snow in a hot month from a few cold days.  

The truth is 14 out of the 24 four in plus snows at BWI happened in February or March.  

6 in February and 8 in March and some of the bigger ones were in March in Nina's so there is still hope, but again...ONLY if we get the NAO to tank at some point.  

29 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

one silver lining from the data, there seems to be a prevailing opinion that February and March in a nina sucks...the data doesn't back that up.  I am not saying those warm anomaly maps are wrong but those can be skewed by a few really hot months.  And we can get snow in a hot month from a few cold days.  

The truth is 14 out of the 24 four in plus snows at BWI happened in February or March.  

6 in February and 8 in March and some of the bigger ones were in March in Nina's so there is still hope, but again...ONLY if we get the NAO to tank at some point.  

Too bad it is apparently no longer physically possible to have -NAO blocking anymore :weep:.  I think that per the index we haven't had a single day of negative so far this winter.  It hasn't been a raging positive, but still 0 for 62.

image.png.a2cc7fdca800f854981c35167e303a64.png

50 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Great work on the data analysis -- really appreciate you taking the time to post stuff like that.  

What do we need to do to get our -NAO.....hire some tugs to tow a bunch of icebergs to the northern atlantic to reduce the warm SSTs? I'd donate to the cause.

5 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

The strat will save us. I'm surprised there isn't more chatter about this from the strat followers. 

What's the typical lag on the SSW for impact in our area? Of course we know 300hr is dead accurate.....but assuming it verifies along those lines, would that come in time to help us before it's too late in the season?

6 minutes ago, MountainGeek said:

What's the typical lag on the SSW for impact in our area? Of course we know 300hr is dead accurate.....but assuming it verifies along those lines, would that come in time to help us before it's too late in the season?

That's an ens mean so carries some weight. The op looks even crazier. 

2 week lag but that's just a guideline. I wonder if the closed ridge near the pole showing up is connected. The strat and trop don't exactly work in unison. The short story is it surely doesn't hurt to have a warm/split strat pv. 

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived