Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February Mid/Long Range Discussion

George BM

6 minutes ago, MD Snow said:

I'd wait until we're under 72 hrs to make definitive statements like "there is no way." 12z cmc shows all snow pretty much. Odds don't seem to be favoring us but we're like 30-60 miles away from this being the biggest event for a lot of people. 

Yeah, but the only issue is most models have brought storms West within 96 hours of the event all winter., and the GFS, which typically has a SE bias and is showing basically an all rain event for DC isn't that enticing to me. 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Cobalt said:

Yeah, but the only issue is most models have broughtstorms West within 96 hours of the event all winter., and the GFS, which typically has a SE bias and is showing basically an all rain event for DC isn't that enticing to me. 

I know and I agree. It's a bummer to say the least. Just trying to keep hope alive.:)

2 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

It was a slight trend in a better direction but it's hard to ignore the best precip being centered SE of the good midlevels. Not sure how to get much better from here. Fast start is the best thing to root for because as some point the column is going to heck. 

yep. its not the storm we have been chasing since Dec but its something more than a Trace. Seems like euro is between the GGEM and the GFS. Kind of in ICON territory. Hey man..it even snowed for us in January 2002....

Just now, Ji said:

yep. its not the storm we have been chasing since Dec but its something more than a Trace. Seems like euro is between the GGEM and the GFS. Kind of in ICON territory. Hey man..it even snowed for us in January 2002....

I just want to see snow fall. You won't hear a single complaint out of me if I get 1-2" before  flip. That's my high bar. 

Any trend speeding up the WAA part of the storm could work better. Get the column and surface as cold as possible as the low tracks at us. With no cold to tap we're working with antecedent only so as the low approaches it will draw in warmer air in the mids from the east. I don't think that can change all the much. We need to maximize the marginal airmass in place. 

2 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

If there is any way to get some sort of 1025hp over the top the outcome would be much different but that's grasping. 1" qpf and a good track but no cold source to tap... At least the solution wasn't all rain. That has to count for something. 

And given 0z and 6z runs which were headed towards an inland runner...i'm glad that the euro put the breaks on it for a couple hrs. 

5 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

You lost me at d7

when is the next nino

1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

Euro was more than a little shift moving precip in here faster on Sunday. One more jump and we all get 2-6" before it washes away. 

i did like that at 12z sunday...the 850 line was near NC

ecmwf_T850_us_5.png

6 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

Is CAD a factor here?

Insitu only. There is nothing to press so we're working with whatever is in place when the precip starts and it will be under assault with southerly flow at the surface and mid levels and precip moves towards us. Verbatim it's a marginal antecedent airmass getting attacked instead of a marginal one that can improve. It's not pretty honestly. 

17 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Euro was more than a little shift moving precip in here faster on Sunday. One more jump and we all get 2-6" before it washes away. 

There have been examples where a storm just races up in a setup like this and the cooling from heavy precip can hold off the warming just enough...it thumps before the warm air can win. It's rare but I think the first 1987 storm was a unicorn dream example of that. It actually is the rare setup where we might have an advantage over NYC in something like that being south and west. They almost always lose with the fetch off the ocean in these. 

Just now, psuhoffman said:

There have been examples where a storm just races up in a setup like this and the cooling from heavy precip can hold off the warming just enough...it thumps before the warm air can win. It's rare but I think the first 1987 storm was a unicorn dream example of that. It actually is the rare setup where we might have an advantage over NYC in something like that being south and west. They almost always lose with the fetch off the ocean in these. 

Definitely. With a rotting airmass, areas on the margins will benefit from both lat and lon. 

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived