Newest Member
    joxey
February Mid/Long Range Discussion

George BM

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Kinda...except what bothers me most is what Wes was pointing out.  Do we actually have a path to victory.  If the system doesn't phase the STJ wave is likely to get suppressed and not do much of anything.  If it does phase or partial phase its likely to be rain.  Its not always a good idea to average the two extremes if there is a reason were not seeing many "in between" solutions.  Not saying I am 100 percent sold were doomed...its still close, im still interested, but I am leaning that way right now.  

Fwiw, I'm still keying in on 1931-1932.  I forget who came up with the analog from another sub.

6 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Kinda...except what bothers me most is what Wes was pointing out.  Do we actually have a path to victory.  If the system doesn't phase the STJ wave is likely to get suppressed and not do much of anything.  If it does phase or partial phase its likely to be rain.  Its not always a good idea to average the two extremes if there is a reason were not seeing many "in between" solutions.  Not saying I am 100 percent sold were doomed...its still close, im still interested, but I am leaning that way right now.  

Something close to the euro and control from yesterday and the day before...not super amped and riding the edge. It's still on the table.  

5 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Something close to the euro and control from yesterday and the day before...not super amped and riding the edge. It's still on the table.  

Oh yea there is a thread the needle way to win, its why I am still invested, but its seeming a LONG shot more so then a couple days ago when the timing of the cold and stj wave werent as badly out of sync.  

Just now, psuhoffman said:

Yea that would work, and if we saw that at 120 hours instead of 360 I would be honking but I suppose if were gonna be upset that the GFS run looks bad for Monday we should be happy when it looks better later on.  I guess

lol I guess

Always very skeptical about prospects for a legit -NAO. At this point a bootleg, transient one may have to suffice. Hopefully we still see the signal on upcoming ens runs.

1 minute ago, BTRWx's Thanks Giving said:

Last year might even matches it better.  There haven't been many good analog signals this year imo. 

2010-11 still sticks out to me as a good match to this year.  Had some cold air, lots of tiny snowfall events, and 1 big event.  Ended up just below climo, but more than 50% fell in one storm.  

10 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Oh yea there is a thread the needle way to win, its why I am still invested, but its seeming a LONG shot more so then a couple days ago when the timing of the cold and stj wave werent as badly out of sync.  

I really think you don't have much to worry about in your location unless it becomes an amped monster that tracks through the apps.  I think along and east of 95 is toast on this one.  Northwest of there maybe gets better but you are about as good as it gets for this type situation...maybe not all snow but mostly frozen.  So smile I see a WSW in your future.   

3 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

I really think you don't have much to worry about in your location unless it becomes an amped monster that tracks through the apps.  I think along and east of 95 is toast on this one.  Northwest of there maybe gets better but you are about as good as it gets for this type situation...maybe not all snow but mostly frozen.  So smile I see a WSW in your future.   

I really want a win for all of us though. It won't be as nice if I get some snow and everyone here is miserable. I want to share the love. Plus if D.C. And Balt is getting at least a few inches it increases my chances also so it's a win win. If I'm riding the line you guys have no prayer and that's a bummer for me too. 

1 hour ago, Buddy1987 said:

GFS has a nasty little wedge down this way along 81 when the heavier rates are coming in at 102. Im assuming heavy dose of sleet and freezing rain switching to rain?

It depends how cold that airmass actually is. The only thing I think we know at this point is there is going to be a storm on Monday. How cold or how amped? We won' know for a couple of more days.

3 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I really want a win for all of us though. It won't be as nice if I get some snow and everyone here is miserable. I want to share the love. Plus if D.C. And Balt is getting at least a few inches it increases my chances also so it's a win win. If I'm riding the line you guys have no prayer and that's a bummer for me too. 

Think of all of those people that only have a 15 minute commute.  :)

5 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Thank you and you are kind to wish for that.  But I remember an event...might have been in March of some recent year..where it was a very marginal set up..and you were sending pics of about 6-8 inches..I think they even issued a WSW for you guys.  Almost everyone else had rain or mix.  So I like your chances.  When I was younger and dumber and moved from Hampton Roads up here I thought I just needed to live west of 95.  That is not really a money location.  Live and learn. 

10 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

GEFS has moved West. A lot more rain tracks than not

GEFS always has very limited spread inside of 6 days or so. Ens will move lock step with the op from here on out for the most part. We can probably just stick with the gfs op and not worry much about the ens at this point. 

4 minutes ago, Chris78 said:

They look like all rain tracks...lol

1 manages to get 6" into DCA before precip shuts off. Only 2 other members get the 2" line into DCA. I know we're 5 days out, but there's no way DCA stays all snow in this. Not even immediate NW burbs. Just about no way.

gefs_snow_ens_washdc_22.thumb.png.f3f87b2021551df6c8b465c207319dda.png

18 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

1 manages to get 6" into DCA before precip shuts off. Only 2 other members get the 2" line into DCA. I know we're 5 days out, but there's no way DCA stays all snow in this. Not even immediate NW burbs. Just about no way.

gefs_snow_ens_washdc_22.thumb.png.f3f87b2021551df6c8b465c207319dda.png

I'd wait until we're under 72 hrs to make definitive statements like "there is no way." 12z cmc shows all snow pretty much. Odds don't seem to be favoring us but we're like 30-60 miles away from this being the biggest event for a lot of people. 

We had the December 8 thing that trended at the last minute in our favor. We had the January 4/5 thing that trended like 300 miles in 3 days. On Monday night the NE got a suprise 4-8 inches that wasn't modeled like at all. I know all of those instances trended west to be in our favor but still...there's still time with this. If the high to our west can come in a little stronger and further north there will be a lot of happy campers around here. 

IF this storm trends any further west we are going to start talking about a track right over us or even the blue ridge. Not out of the question but I think that's unlikely.  

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived