Newest Member
    joxey
February Mid/Long Range Discussion

George BM

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Bob Chill said:

The difference between the gfs and cmc is the phasing of the ns energy happens later on the cmc so less early amp. Even as is on the gfs is like 75 miles to the east away from a major storm. I like it for now. 

i forgot but what was it doing yesterday at 00z when we had cold powder and in the 20s lol.....and the GEFS is always south and east right? (weenie rule ...)

1 hour ago, Paleocene said:

I have little to no understanding of the upper atmosphere, but I am 80% sure an RWP is referring to a Rossby wave. Source: https://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/abs/10.1175/MWR-D-13-00371.1

This PowerPoint has a lot more diagrams to help illustrate the behavior of Wave Packets.  It helps my simple brain visualize it better than the excellent source you shared:  http://www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/hmt/WavePackets.ppt

2 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

There was a 1030+ hp over nne and Quebec those runs. That high slides away faster now. +nao's like to do that. 

well....id rather snow to rain then rain ending as snow. Just a long way out but i think its pretty safe to say we are getting some kind of precip event on sunday

1 minute ago, Ji said:

well....id rather snow to rain then rain ending as snow. Just a long way out but i think its pretty safe to say we are getting some kind of precip event on sunday

Totally agree. This run was a byproduct of an early phase with the ns. Delay that just 6 hours and it changes everything. Take it away and we get the 12z and 18z versions. Remember when I said this one was going to get on our nerves? Lol.

In between the 18z and 0z solutions is a big hit. We'll prob see it again before the final soltuion is locking in. 

1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

Totally agree. This run was a byproduct of an early phase with the ns. Delay that just 6 hours and it changes everything. Take it away and we get the 12z and 18z versions. Remember when I said this one was going to get on our nerves? Lol.

In between the 18z and 0z solutions is a big hit. We'll prob see it again before the final soltuion is locking in. 

I want to see the greens come back once we are within 5 days 

Before anyone gets on me...Greens are 12 inches plus on TT

17 minutes ago, Interstate said:

I want to see the greens come back once we are within 5 days 

Before anyone gets on me...Greens are 12 inches plus on TT

It's a balance. 12" requires 1"+ qpf but the problem is to get 1" qpf means the storm is pretty juiced...and the risk of a bad track goes way up.  Most of the big qpf producers on the ens runs were rainy. 

Without a hp to the north we need the track far enough to the east to keep us all snow. This one looks prone to temp problems. 

8 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

I was about to say it’s not as amped as the GFS or CMC through 120 at least.  It probably is also borderline though with no high to the north 

24 hours later the low is a 988 near Nova Scotia so connecting the dots looks like a good track. There is cold to the west so if we can get a track off the coast and not tight like the gfs it would be good. Western edge of this storm in generally pretty safe for all snow. Where that stripe is going to end up won't be clear for 3 days.

24 hours later the low is a 988 near Nova Scotia so connecting the dots looks like a good track. There is cold to the west so if we can get a track off the coast and not tight like the gfs it would be good. Western edge of this storm in generally pretty safe for all snow. Where that stripe is going to end up won't be clear for 3 days.
Best part about this storm is we all forgot about the Friday fail fiasco

11 minutes ago, Ji said:
27 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Best part about this storm is we all forgot about the Friday fail fiasco

Even though it's a fail for snow, ops picked up on it 6+ days in advance and the end result isn't that much different. Pretty good job there. 

Gefs really honing in on sun-mon. A lot of good precip producers in the mix. Ptype TBD. 

39 minutes ago, Interstate said:

Bob... on the 500 thickness... what line are we really looking for snow?

Also, what do you do for a living that allows you to stay up so late?

I don't TT has thicknesses for the euro. 540 is a loose rule but that's not the same as heights. 

Euro is a heavy rain event. Amped and warm. That's a real risk with no high to the north. Couple inches along i81 before they flip. The whole metro corridor into sne hates this run. The bright side is drought relief!

I work in busIness finance and work from home. I work early and late becuase we have clients in all time zones. I'm usually asleep now unless something is interesting. I should have went to bed 2 hours ago.  Lol 

3 hours ago, Thanatos_I_Am said:

Ji REALLY ain’t gonna like that run. Oof. Here’s to hoping the EPS can help narrow in on some camps of solutions.

EPS is not awful for his neck of the woods.

This can certainly trend worse though. With the cold shots rotating in and out quickly, it partly becomes a timing deal. The NA is frankly the exact opposite of what we would like, so this is a very imperfect pattern for a MA snowstorm. It can still work, and as long as there is moisture, the better snow chances should be for the western part of the region. With nothing to lock the cold in, the low track would have to be about perfect(and not too strong) for lower elevation/eastern areas to get a mostly frozen event.

The overnight EPS run showed some potential for the the DC/Balt corridor and especially for N/W of the cities on the possible Monday coastal.

Below we have the mean low pressures leading into the coastal. We have low pressure developing on the N/S Carolina coast and tracking up to off of Cape Cod (Benchmark track). It is a fairly quick moving storm, as you can see how far it has traveled in 24 hours, which will limit somewhat the amount precip it can kick back into our region. The one hangup we do have is that temps are not quite where we want them as the low impacts our region and this is due mainly to the positioning of High pressure. Typically we want to see High pressure configured in a banana shape to our west and extending over top of our region (marked in red below). This banana shape helps to lock in the cold as the storm rides up to our east. But instead we have lower pressures extending up to our north which allows warmer air to flow northward through our region. Now you can skate by with just higher pressures to our west but in this case we see the higher pressures are to far west to be of much help. The good news? Temps leading into this are fine, it is only as the storm begins moving through that we lose them and that at the lower levels more so then the upper. Just shave a couple/3 degrees off of the column during this time and we have a substantially different outcome for the region. Some minor changes to the high pressure can mean a world of difference here. Timing, development and/or track of the low as well. At this point we are in the game, at least until the next run when the EPS decides to reshuffle the deck.

Lowpressmeans.thumb.gif.30f963301c9e3332f285f0a356f3801e.gif

Total precip has bumped up roughly .4 inches (roughly .7) for the region from the prior run (roughly .3) for the coastal.

5a7198d177172_Precipmeans.thumb.gif.385cb01c901ca66d7f404256a1489f81.gif

Here are the ensemble members. Notice they mostly favor to the N/W of the cities at this time. Shave a couple degrees off through the column and we would see the snow quickly blossom into the cities where more moisture would be available.

Ensemblesnow1.thumb.gif.d0124962d7e1d7bc75398ccec8bb2194.gif

Ensemblesnow2.thumb.gif.840910979a9883966d9ffb069b24ab7e.gif

MidAtsnowmeans.thumb.gif.936d8f6614a0581a5d0cae9c25217ca6.gif

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived