Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February Mid/Long Range Discussion

George BM

49 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

IF we fail with the upcoming epicosity as depicted by one Sir Robert Chill (GEFS today), I dont think there will be much left to the forum. 

Reapage will have done so much damage that the only one that will remain will be a gleaming JI Tolduso.

We're gonna get shellacked by heavy snow. The subforum will be fine.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I see that but with a raging epo ridge and the trough axis right where we want it I find some of the hints at warmth a bit far fetched. I mean if I'm feb we can't get enough cold with a trough axis just to our west and a -epo maybe it is time to give up. I just don't buy the whole conus warmth with a -epo look that the outlier ensemble members have that leads to the warmer mean look.  Could be but I suspect their gonna be wrong and they are just skewing the mean. 

Take a look at the individual temp anom plots d10-15. The cold is pretty cold and the warm is really warm. Lol. Everything being constantly on the move so it's like a revolving extreme temp door with actual "normal" temps not really showing up in bulk anywhere. It really is a junior version of Feb 14&15. The only difference is the trop pv not dropping way south of Hudson like we saw those years. 

My guess is the average for the next 15 days will be BN though but if we get strong return flow from a departing high/approaching front then mid 60s it is. I'm good with that. I got some neat stuff to put on my new truck but each project is too long to do with cold hands. My wife said I can leave it running when I swap the exhaust so I can stay warm.  Lol. She can be pretty funny...or she wants my life policy. One or the other. 

19 minutes ago, Jebman said:

We're gonna get shellacked by heavy snow. The subforum will be fine.

I hope youre right Jeb.  I'll introduce Jebwalking to some of my northern brethren if so. 

and if nothing else, the model watching will be crazy for the next couple weeks.

17 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Take a look at the individual temp anom plots d10-15. The cold is pretty cold and the warm is really warm. Lol. Everything being constantly on the move so it's like a revolving extreme temp door with actual "normal" temps not really showing up in bulk anywhere. It really is a junior version of Feb 14&15. The only difference is the trop pv not dropping way south of Hudson like we saw those years. 

My guess is the average for the next 15 days will be BN though but if we get strong return flow from a departing high/approaching front then mid 60s it is. I'm good with that. I got some neat stuff to put on my new truck but each project is too long to do with cold hands. My wife said I can leave it running when I swap the exhaust so I can stay warm.  Lol. She can be pretty funny...or she wants my life policy. One or the other. 

Funny how our wives have a similar sense of humor 

5 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I would take the 18Z GFS and call it a winter. Best run for my area all winter.

Here too but it's kinda depressing for anywhere southeast of 95 so I didn't want to say anything. There have been quite a few runs that train several events over the same area creating an epic win zone. Problem is that also creates an epic fail area too. 

22 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

I worked on my car on Saturday. It was beautiful outside. No shoes, shorts and a t shirt. Bare feet. 

You have a diesel?

13 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Here too but it's kinda depressing for anywhere southeast of 95 so I didn't want to say anything. There have been quite a few runs that train several events over the same area creating an epic win zone. Problem is that also creates an epic fail area too. 

Well, it would end up being the law of averages for them, though...They got the hits this month and last month!

I think it's better to look at the whole Monday to Thursday period next week as a whole. There are 3 distinct waves within the 4 days spaced so tightly that each impacts the others significantly. 

That said the gefs for the Monday/Tuesday threat tightened up. The mean snowfall for D.C. Remained 2.5" while places NW of 95 increased some and se of 95 decreased some. 

Qpf increased a lot, a whole lot actually because precip went down from the Friday wave but increased by about .3-.4 for the whole 8 days so that indicates a huge shift for the Monday-Tuesday part of that. 

The obvious implication is the gefs locking in on a threat but that D.C. is right on the win/fail line for precip type. I would love the trend if I was in Winchester or Frederick. For 95 it's kind of a wash. Higher chance of a storm but kinda a coin flip on rain/snow. 

ETA:  mean qpf is about .8 for D.C. In the Monday Tuesday period and snowfall 2.5 so that definitely implies mixing. 

Meanwhile winchester to Frederick mean qpf is about .65 with mean snowfall 3.5-4". So still some rain in there but a higher percentage of snow runs of the qpf producers. 

1 minute ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Well, it would end up being the law of averages for them, though...They got the hits this month and last month!

Yeah but there is a epic fail zone in there.  People that didn’t get hits this month and last..and may not upcoming.  It’s not a clean line between the two. 

18 minutes ago, Wxdood said:

I worked on my car on Saturday. It was beautiful outside. No shoes, shorts and a t shirt. Bare feet. 

You have a diesel?

Nope, 5.7 hemi crew. The only diesel in the half ton is the eco-diesel. Not interested in eco anything when it comes to trucks.  Lol. 

Gotta stay on topic....

Gefs is ok for sun-mon but plenty of mixed or rain events. Even a cluster of west tracks. Doesn't seem likely to have an apps runner but with no block it's certainly possible. 

2 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Nope, 5.7 hemi crew. The only diesel in the half ton is the eco-diesel. Not interested in eco anything. Lol. 

Gotta stay on topic....

Gefs is ok for sun-mon but plenty of mixed or rain events. Even a cluster of west tracks. Doesn't seem likely to have an apps runner but with no block it's certainly possible. 

Makes the last Euro SE hit run seem helpful.  Leaves room for some middle ground.

20 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Nope, 5.7 hemi crew. The only diesel in the half ton is the eco-diesel. Not interested in eco anything when it comes to trucks.  Lol. 

Gotta stay on topic....

I thought about doing the Borla cat back on my 6.4L but in the end the sucker has 470 HP and 465 ft lbs of torque. Yeah it's pretty quiet and the aftermarket exhaust would be louder and sound cool, but if it doesn't add any real power, and it really doesn't, it ain't worth a grand. I did invest in a tuner, mainly to disable that horrid MDS. I wanted my HEMI running on all 8 cyl all the time. Hated that crap. Its awesome with that shiit turned off, and it gets like 2 mpg less lol. Such a dumb "feature", but I know why they did it.

Through day 10 gefs continues to tighten up. It's exactly 4.5" at D.C. Which was the same as 12z. But places south east of D.C. decreased some while NW went up even from the weenie 12z run. Day 10 mean is around 5-6" NW of a lesburgh to northern Baltimore city line.  Up from about 4.5 last run. 

This is just for comparison sake. It's way too far out to think it's "locking in" and could just be doing that group think thing again. 

5 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Through day 10 gefs continues to tighten up. It's exactly 4.5" at D.C. Which was the same as 12z. But places south east of D.C. decreased some while NW went up even from the weenie 12z run. Day 10 mean is around 5-6" NW of a lesburgh to northern Baltimore city line.  Up from about 4.5 last run. 

This is just for comparison sake. It's way too far out to think it's "locking in" and could just be doing that group think thing again. 

That's awesome to hear! I know it can all change in a heartbeat but it's still great to see. For me probably more than 50% of the fun is the chase. Once it's snowing im playing outside with my kids and dogs but sometimes I think I enjoy the chase more than the actual snow...lol 

My wife says I have a sickness and she's probably right..lol

56 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Definitely a very fine line between scoring and not.

7 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

Having not see nothing more than 2 inches yet, at least all in one event, 2-5 would be huge for me.

Dude, I agree 100%. 2-3" would be a great start to getting out of this rut. The problem is that we've seen a couple ops do some sweet things and today backed off those ideas. I can think of one person in particular who would think 2-3" is a complete disaster. 

Hopefully we're still looking at an event in 48 hours. There's definitely some "could go wrongs" to get past. If we can get to Friday and still be in the crosshairs I'll start feeling it. A half inch of straight rain would get under my skin and that's putting it really nicely. Lol

1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

Dude, I agree 100%. 2-3" would be a great start to getting out of this rut. The problem is that we've seen a couple ops do some sweet things and today backed off those ideas. 

Hopefully we're still looking at an event in 48 hours. There's definitely some "could go wrongs" to get past. If we can get to Friday and still be in the crosshairs I'll start feeling it. A half inch of straight rain would get under my skin and that's putting it really nicely. Lol

I know.  I am not convinced we make it to Ji’s magic 72 hour mark.  And having to worry about 2m temps as well with the 540 line safely south of most of us is just a pant load of fun.  I wish I could be more optimistic but just can’t muster up much enthusiasm.

Just now, BristowWx said:

I know.  I am not convinced we make it to Ji’s magic 72 hour mark.  And having to worry about 2m temps as well with the 540 line safely south of most of us is just a pant load of fun.  I wish I could be more optimistic but just can’t muster up much enthusiasm.

Yea, I'm gun shy too. Otoh- the Friday front is actually the beginning of the new regime. Sun-mon is the first real event. We usually find a way to not capitalize the first chance in a new pattern. However, the flow is so damn active that there will be a lot of carving going on. Any departing low can act as a transient 50/50. Unlike late dec/early jan, this does not look like a suppressed pattern at all so far. If nothing else, the next couple weeks are going to keep our attention. There will probably be something worth watching in the med range so we won't be stuck in the d10+ routine. 

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived