Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Days and days of snow disco

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, DomNH said:

Yeah this is a pretty vanilla 4-8 forecast around here. Just high impact because of timing. 

Not a fan of that low end for a good chunk of SNH. Is any model outputting 0.4" or less of LE? We snow for about 20 hrs. Hard to envision anything less than 6" where better lift sets up and ratios conservatively at 12:1. I think 6-10" in a band from Manchester/Nashua up to Rochester/Portsmouth. Outside of that 4-7" sounds like a good bet.

Most common number across the Southern part of the state will be around 7", imo.

11 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

Not a fan of that low end for a good chunk of SNH. Is any model outputting 0.4" or less of LE? We snow for about 20 hrs. Hard to envision anything less than 6" where better lift sets up and ratios conservatively at 12:1. I think 6-10" in a band from Manchester/Nashua up to Rochester/Portsmouth. Outside of that 4-7" sounds like a good bet.

Most common number across the Southern part of the state will be around 7", imo.

Not that it really matters but the GFS is. I'd assume somewhere near like .5-.6'' of LE with pedestrian ratios which is where I'm seeing 4-8''. I don't see ratios being anything special with the best lift probably underneath the DGZ.

16 minutes ago, DomNH said:

Not that it really matters but the GFS is. I'd assume somewhere near like .5-.6'' of LE with pedestrian ratios which is where I'm seeing 4-8''. I don't see ratios being anything special with the best lift probably underneath the DGZ.

Not unreasonable. But can't help but notice all recent guidance pushing some of the best banding right through our area. I think there will be a short period of heavy snow with this.

11 minutes ago, weathafella said:

GFS is surprisingly cold.

GFS developes the coastal a little earlier and scrapes Nantucket instead of going right ove cape.  It's a little like the Euro, not amped so much.  We'll see what the 1:00 PM Euro shows. The Mesos are too amped for some reason will this particular flow. I will take a guess that it won't be as amped as the NAM, UKMET or Reggie but simliar or slightly more amped than the GFS. It will take the better forcing further southeast.  In other words, I think the more tame solutions will win out but we'll see.

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Well since it keeps me all snow. We high. 

I dunno...tricky setup. It does do well with temps.

Well either it is our new go-to model for temps, or it is going to bust massively too cold on this one. 6z didn't bring the rain line even up to Plymouth.

1 minute ago, jbenedet said:

I don't think anyone in here would sell the HRRR. Really good look out to 18 hr...

Yeah it does look nice...I wish it was reliable past 6 hours though. I remember how bad it barfed on itself with the Xmas storm past 6 hours...it was almost dryslotting E MA and giving this huge 10-12" jack out in W CT.

The main reason why the trajectory of the precip shield is not going from southwest to northeast but instead south southwest to north northeast is because of a little annoying wedge high pressure just to the northeast of the cape.  If that was not there or could get out sooner, the precip shield wouldsink southeast sooner than stay in a more of a seperate southwest to northeast orientation.

Archived