• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Mid-Long Range Disco

WxUSAF

from what I can tell off the eps, mean precip is from a clipper that heads to our north on day 7-8.5 that gives us nothing
Whatever it is you want....its not happening. Except for your heat wave

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Mdecoy said:

Love your analysis, but its just easy to be more pessimistic than you are because, it literally just doesn't want to snow here.  It is especially frustrating considering we just came out of like one in 100 year  cold period.

So I think the calls of "it could be just around the corner now" are starting to be viewed with skepticism. I feel a shutout is more likely and its only Jan 9th. Its just what we seem to do these days.

One - yeah, weather does its own thinking

Two - Let's bet $1000 on that one.  And, while we are at it, name the last shutout from Jan 9 onward.

2 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

Stop. You are not even from this forum/region, technically. Bob isn't making "calls" he's discussing possible windows that might open for the chance of something trackable, which is awesome to read his thoughts on. If you or anyone else is reading his posts (or PSUs, showmes, and a few others) as making specific calls for snow on given days, you need to step away from the computer for awhile, frankly.

Recency bias is probably the biggest part of close minded thinking when it comes to weather. Opportunities can present themselves at any time and weather doesn't nearly have the "memory" that people think it does. Statistically, it doesn't snow often here and having long breaks between action is expected and far from some sort of exception or "unusual" occurrence. 

Decoy is the worst type of poster. Zero analysis, zero contribution, and zero analytical thinking but an "expert" in pessimism.  

3 minutes ago, WeathermanB said:

Are bold predictions allowed on the forums?

I boldly predict a 2 foot snowstorm forecast that goes bust and only gives me 2 inches in the beginning of February.

Not really a bold prediction as much as adding nothing to a medium-long range thread. And also, I hope this happens for the sheer fact of you not talking about school cancellations in Delaware anymore.

2 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

Not really a bold prediction as much as adding nothing to a medium-long range thread. And also, I hope this happens for the sheer fact of you not talking about school cancellations in Delaware anymore.

Dude. You are the last person that should be telling others about adding nothing to a thread. 

25 minutes ago, Mdecoy said:

Love your analysis, but its just easy to be more pessimistic than you are because, it literally just doesn't want to snow here.  It is especially frustrating considering we just came out of like one in 100 year cold period.

So I think the calls of "it could be just around the corner now" are starting to be viewed with skepticism. I feel a shutout is more likely and its only Jan 9th. Its just what we seem to do these days.

I keep looking around for a "dislike" button but can't seem to find one.

25 minutes ago, Mdecoy said:

Love your analysis, but its just easy to be more pessimistic than you are because, it literally just doesn't want to snow here.  It is especially frustrating considering we just came out of like one in 100 year  cold period.

I guess I don't understand why people think just because we have historic cold it should snow. I think the exact opposite.  The only way that you get historic cold is with an Arctic outbreak.  What comes with an Arctic outbreak... Strong High Pressure systems that suppress everything to the south. 

2 minutes ago, mappy said:

Dude. You are the last person that should be telling others about adding nothing to a thread. 

Of course I'm not even close to as knowledgable as most on this board, at least I'm not talking about predictions a month in advance or talking about school cancellations. In fact, if anything I've learned a huge amount from the many great posters here. Sorry if it came off as me trying to seem all knowing.

Since there's not much doing in the medium range I was still looking into this weekends apps runner.  The Euro runs the low pretty much right up the spine of the apps.  I may not be remembering correctly but I think in the past people have said that is not a climo favored track.  I wonder if it still has some room to shift east a bit and get the Winchester crew in play for some wraparound action.

I'm still in my infancy in learning so I don't post much, but I understand the frustration people are feeling. Just wasted a nearly historic cold pattern where it seems so many cities- Charleston, Norfolk, and of course PHL, NYC, BOS and many others cashed in big, while DC alone literally was left out in the cold. And unlike the Boxing Day fail of 2010, which was a one storm fail immediately after the best winter on record, this was a 3 week fail following a nothing winter. I think for many it felt like we were first and goal on the one yard line and couldn't punch it in with 4 tries.  But all that said, if people understood that not only are we not a true northern city (below 40N) and that our proximity to the mountains, as well being further away from the ocean than the rest of the megalopolis, it may help with expectation management. Why people believe a computer model 8 days out spitting out feet of snow over understanding the history and reality of where they live, I don't know.  I have zero knowledge compared to most here, but frankly, if a low is not going through Georgia to the OBX with a block in place, I never expect WSW amounts of snow.  Yes, we can get lucky like 2/10/10 or 3/9/99, or experience very interesting storms like the 1/11 storm that went from rain to sleet to heavy snow, but for the most part we don't cash in. I still appreciate the analysis and interpretation the smart and experienced folks give here. Why take something none of can control so personally? I love being aware and understanding the possibilities without forgetting the likely probabilities.

Flame away.

I feel like a lot of you forget that compared to 3/4ths of the nation, the climate here is halfway decent for snow lovers. I’m the past three winters between PHL and DCA, I have seen more days and inches of snow and ice than I ever did in Seattle.

As WxTwitter and others on this board have pointed out, even the “blah” period can yeild some excitement with only a few days lead time. Y’all need to step away from the ledge and just enjoy what you can’t control and be greatful you don’t have an agonizing PacNW winter climate.

7 minutes ago, iFred said:

I feel like a lot of you forget that compared to 3/4ths of the nation, the climate here is halfway decent for snow lovers. I’m the past three winters between PHL and DCA, I have seen more days and inches of snow and ice than I ever did in Seattle.

As WxTwitter and others on this board have pointed out, even the “blah” period can yeild some excitement with only a few days lead time. Y’all need to step away from the ledge and just enjoy what you can’t control and be greatful you don’t have an agonizing PacNW winter climate.

Agreed about the climate. It's highly anamolous for DC to have consecutive winters with less than 10 inches. In fact, from 1887-1990 it only happened twice and one of those back to back winter periods was close to hitting 10 inches. Since 1990 it's happened more often, but overal it's not the norm. Chances are we'll get more snow this year. People need to calm down. 

I feel so sorry for Norfolk, for the Eastern Shore. They HAD close to a foot of fresh powder. We hit 49 today. I know they must be in the 50s. You get that much deep snow, you cant help but fall in love with it, then the inevitable mild comes, we ARE in the Mid Atlantic, after all, not Jay Peak, VT, its pure unmitigated TORTURE being forced to watch all that fresh snow turn to a soggy mess that you get your shoes soaked in, slushing in every day and feeling like you have a billion pound weight strapped to your back every day. Plus the fact that living in THOSE places, you KNOW you're not going to get snow.

I feel so sorry for Norfolk, for the Eastern Shore. They HAD close to a foot of fresh powder. We hit 49 today. I know they must be in the 50s. You get that much deep snow, you cant help but fall in love with it, then the inevitable mild comes, we ARE in the Mid Atlantic, after all, not Jay Peak, VT, its pure unmitigated TORTURE being forced to watch all that fresh snow turn to a soggy mess that you get your shoes soaked in, slushing in every day and feeling like you have a billion pound weight strapped to your back every day. Plus the fact that living in THOSE places, you KNOW you're not going to get snow.
They had it for a week dude. They are good

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived