joxey
Jan 4th Coastal Obs/Disc

mappy

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, yoda said:

DCA near 3 inches on 22z HRRR with Kuchera lol

FWIW, I notice HRRR takes its sweet time upping snowfall amounts. Even though it goes out 18 hours, it doesn't seem to be very accurate until the event is basically on the doorstep, and even then it is hit or miss. I've actually found it to be pretty good with our small snowfalls so far this year though.

2 minutes ago, osfan24 said:

FWIW, I notice HRRR takes its sweet time upping snowfall amounts. Even though it goes out 18 hours, it doesn't seem to be very accurate until the event is basically on the doorstep, and even then it is hit or miss. I've actually found it to be pretty good with our small snowfalls so far this year though.

And as usually the case, will decrease them slightly before averaging out.  That is my forecast.

eta: a couple more + runs possible before the reverse

1 minute ago, osfan24 said:

I feel like it sometimes over-corrects too. Like during an event it will show x amount of snow to come despite the radar drying up.

6 minutes ago, T. August said:

I feel like it sometimes over-corrects too. Like during an event it will show x amount of snow to come despite the radar drying up.

I have personally witnessed this several times - it insists MBY is getting x number of inches of additional snow and it's clear the precip is kaput.

Just now, BristowWx said:

We want this correct?  Obvious question but I don't like to take my knowledge for granted when met speaks.

I would think having the energy consolidated further west with a single dominant low would help with pushing snow banding further inland. But there are more knowledgeable mets on here that may know more. The double-low structures some of the models have been putting out have just looked odd and disjointed to me. We shall see though. I'm not going to go as bold as Roger Smith, but at this point I would hedge toward the more western model solutions. The biggest negative factor at the moment is very dry surface air. The fast motion of the storm means every hour counts, any one location has a max potential of 6-8 hours. Don't want to waste half of that time just trying to moisten the column.

Just now, WhiteoutWX said:

I would think having the energy consolidated further west with a single dominant low would help with pushing snow banding further inland. But there are more knowledgeable mets on here that may know more. The double-low structures some of the models have been putting out have just looked odd and disjointed to me. We shall see though. I'm not going to go as bold as Roger Smith, but at this point I would hedge toward the more western model solutions. The biggest negative factor at the moment is very dry surface air. The fast motion of the storm means every hour counts, any one location has a max potential of 6-8 hours. Don't want to waste half of that time just trying to moisten the column.

Met 101

4 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

Thanks.  Kind of knew already but I remember the dual low on the Euro that everyone was excited about

I think the only reason we started rooting for the dual low is because the eastern low was soooo far out in the Atlantic that it wasn't going to help us. But then the models started to lose dual low and push the main low west.

13 minutes ago, WhiteoutWX said:

Looks to me on satellite the western low is clearly dominant, if there is a dual-low structure at all.

This is good. Western areas of our region need a straight bully to punch into the dry air/subsidence between the coastal and lakes lows. We'll have a good idea within 6 hours if the western extent of model qpf is underdone. It's going to be a boxing match. 

54 minutes ago, wolfpackwxDC said:

North Central NC already starting to accumulate (between Raleigh and Greensboro) - I am liking how quickly the precip is advancing and how far inland as well!

Hey now! This is what I want to hear. One of the early clues for an overperformer in our neck is models busting low with the bulge into central va. Sometimes we get fooled though when the coastal goes nuts and tightens the gradient towards the coast but if my yard is going to get more than 1", I want a whole bunch of yards in central va getting many inches. Lol. 

Just now, WxMan1 said:

Attached are some images from the 18Z GFS regarding the UVVs (omega) within the -12 to -18C layer -- i.e. which would favor better dendritic growth and (thus) higher SLRs. The valid times are for 1 am (06Z), 4 am, 7 am, 10 am, and 1 pm (18Z)

These are great 2D fields to look at -- which of course are sort of implied in the point soundings we see via TropicalTidbits.  Still, with these 2D images, you can get an idea of where the bands *may* set up.  The key thing to note though is somewhere (probably along the I-95 corridor) is going to be in between the better bands W and E.  West toward the fall line/orographic "bump" as we typically see now matter WHERE the heaviest QPF is, and East toward the heavier QPF.  Should be fun to watch!  If anything, you can tell the lift within this layer holds on until close to noon Thursday. 

06Z.jpg

09Z.jpg

12Z.jpg

15Z.jpg

Nice! Thanks for posting!

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived