Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 4th Coastal

showmethesnow

• Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

If we can maintain this H5 presentation, this has Beach mauler written all over it. I’m still thinking this is an Eastern shore deal. We really need to see that last piece dive in from OH Valley or we’ll be left with passing flurries while OCMD uses Beach shovels to get out of their foot of wind swept powder. Fun fact: OCMD has 2 plows on the barrier island. TWO!! Learned that when I went down there for a storm years ago. Father in Millville, DE said last years January storm had 1 plow make a run at Rt 26 the whole storm. Might need some extra help if this comes to fruition.

This to me looks an awful lot like January 1989 (think it was like January 4th or 7th).  PHL was supposed to get like 3-6" and just south and east 4-8" and coast 5-10".  Reality PHL got flurries then sun, south and east got 1-3", and Wildwood NJ got 26" with 5 foot snow drifts and 45 mph winds on the boardwalk.

I feel the pain with everyone on this storm. It’s a tough case to handle, but I have to side with PSU and Wes on this one. The SS vort is quite vigorous but we just don’t have what it takes from the NS and the orientation of the trough is just going sweep the storm out and cut off the western shield of the precipitation. I think it’s pretty clear the two streams will not phase in time and the more correct the SS is simulated west and neg tilt, the harder the turn OTS will be once the NS comes in.  It’s a punch to the gut to watch this. It’s torture. 

1 minute ago, PennQuakerGirl said:

Is it unusual for there to be this much disagreement between models within 72-hours of what looks to be a pretty monstrous system?

When thre is no block it is not that unusual and having the GFS farther east happens more often than not if there isw a difference.  At least that used to be the case.  Not so sure anymore. 

12 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

If we can maintain this H5 presentation, this has Beach mauler written all over it. I’m still thinking this is an Eastern shore deal. We really need to see that last piece dive in from OH Valley or we’ll be left with passing flurries while OCMD uses Beach shovels to get out of their foot of wind swept powder. Fun fact: OCMD has 2 plows on the barrier island. TWO!! Learned that when I went down there for a storm years ago. Father in Millville, DE said last years January storm had 1 plow make a run at Rt 26 the whole storm. Might need some extra help if this comes to fruition.

CMC gets it done lol.

3 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Ggem was oh so close. It has that weakness to the NW instead of a full double barrel low. We really need that to become the focal point not the initial low. That's complicated so perhaps leaves the door open to the models messing that up. The gfs wants no part of it. 

There has been a clear westward shift on the GGEM and Euro in the last day or so, but the GFS has remained comparatively steady, with a much smaller wobble west.  I'm counting on you to turn on your snow magnet and bring this one west.

5 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

And it needs to phase clean sooner like the 3K seemed to indicate.  But hey we are tracking so what the heck.  Nothing else to do today

Exactly. We need the full phase to happen over Pensacola, or even further west,  not Grand Bahama to have any shot. The earlier the better.

CMC gets it done lol.

I’d like to see the Euro catch on too before getting more intrigued. I’ve kept my expectations back here extremely low not expecting anything. I’m keeping tabs for my parents though. They’re in a much better spot right now. If Canadian is right, I’ll buy a pack of Labat Blue as appreciation.

7 minutes ago, ers-wxman1 said:

I feel the pain with everyone on this storm. It’s a tough case to handle, but I have to side with PSU and Wes on this one. The SS vort is quite vigorous but we just don’t have what it takes from the NS and the orientation of the trough is just going sweep the storm out and cut off the western shield of the precipitation. I think it’s pretty clear the two streams will not phase in time and the more correct the SS is simulated west and neg tilt, the harder the turn OTS will be once the NS comes in.  It’s a punch to the gut to watch this. It’s torture. 

I'm not even sure what to root for...at this point we're stuck in between on that northern stream feature. We might be better off if it trended weaker/slower/NW and just stayed out of the way and gave this enough room on its own. I don't see that either though. 3k nam almost pulled that scenario off. 

Just now, MillvilleWx said:

I’d like to see the Euro catch on too before getting more intrigued. I’ve kept my expectations back here extremely low not expecting anything. I’m keeping tabs for my parents though. They’re in a much better spot right now. If Canadian is right, I’ll buy a pack of Labat Blue as appreciation.

I am loving this because I am off this week and was planning on heading out to Canaan to play in the snow. This is exactly the same situation as Jan last year, when I was planning the same trip and changed my plans and went to Rehoboth instead. Maybe Deja vu!

3 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I'm not even sure what to root for...at this point we're stuck in between on that northern stream feature. We might be better off if it trended weaker/slower/NW and just stayed out of the way and gave this enough room on its own. I don't see that either though. 3k nam almost pulled that scenario off. 

That would yield a weaker storm without the NS feeding in. But if it’s our only shot I’m on board ;-). 

4 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Eastern Shore weenies are pledging their allegiance to Canada after that run. 

I will be traveling one direction or another. I am not thrilled about the prospects even for my yard at this point tbh. I think this ends up scraping the beaches with a few hours of moderate snow, or its a complete miss. Canaan...or Rehoboth? lol

• WxUSAF unpinned and locked this topic

Archived