Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 4-6 Coastal Bomb

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, TheSnowman said:

I need a Harvard BA and an Oxford PHd just to READ your posts Tip........ and then you call yourself an idiot.  

You're The Man.  

sorry ... i just meant that if there is a tropospheric folding phenomenon being dragged along wit that jet as it's presently (can be seen...) fisting into the northern Gulf on vapor loops ... that could indicate that a, this thing has more power associated than we may think, but also, ...that entrained stratospheric air into the back side could add some mechanics to total vorticity - which ..okay, that stuff is bit outre but were you around in Dec 2005?   ... 

Living up in Newburyport this winter. Looking forward to some north shore action. Brings me back to my days in dover NH. Going to be looking reminiscent of 2015 in newburyport after this one. (no parking ban was issued for previous snowfalls, city is a mess)

Expecting 1 foot  or so from the south shore up on through the north shore, with maybe an 18" lollipop or two :)

8 minutes ago, TheBudMan said:

WXBlue has himself a great storm to welcome him to NE !   Get a room at an inn overlooking the ocean and watch it rage tomorrow !:snowing:

Sounds like a fun idea! But I'll have to settle for a quick drive to the coast and experience few bursts of blizzard conditions if I can!

Can't believe I'm about to experience something this wild.

4 minutes ago, WxBlue said:

Sounds like a fun idea! But I'll have to settle for a quick drive to the coast and experience few bursts of blizzard conditions if I can!

Can't believe I'm about to experience something this wild.

Your our good luck charm, Hope you don't think this is how it is every year up here.............:lol:

14 minutes ago, WthrJunkyME said:

Wow, that one smokes us.  I still have to wonder about ratios with the wind.  Guess it doesn’t much matter in the end!

Wind certainly cuts down the ratio, but IMO dendrite formation can be an even bigger factor.  The 2 big snows of Dec 2003 show a real contrast.  The 6-7 storm had extended blizzard criteria, winds gusting 35-40, and put down 24.0" with 1.63" LE and temps near 20, ratio 14.7-to-1.  The event on the 15th came with similar temps, winds gusting into the 20s, and brought 13.0" on 1.53" LE, ratio 8.5-to-1.  Despite significantly lesser winds and equivalent temp, the latter storm's ratio was far lower.  (Both storms came mainly through the night, so no flake size obs are remembered.)

The upcoming event seemingly gets better and better with almost every run.  There's usually some backing off at some point.  We'll see.

Just now, tamarack said:

Wind certainly cuts down the ratio, but IMO dendrite formation can be an even bigger factor.  The 2 big snows of Dec 2003 show a real contrast.  The 6-7 storm had extended blizzard criteria, winds gusting 35-40, and put down 24.0" with 1.63" LE and temps near 20, ratio 14.7-to-1.  The event on the 15th came with similar temps, winds gusting into the 20s, and brought 13.0" on 1.53" LE, ratio 8.5-to-1.  Despite significantly lesser winds and equivalent temp, the latter storm's ratio was far lower.  (Both storms came mainly through the night, so no flake size obs are remembered.)

The upcoming event seemingly gets better and better with almost every run.  There's usually some backing off at some point.  We'll see.

The line will probably end up just to your south........lol

2 minutes ago, dryslot said:

The line will probably end up just to your south........lol

Just like last year and so far this year.  But there's always a chance for another March '14, when the foothills just barely escape p-type mess and get hammered.  (Not relevant to the upcoming monster, however.)

21 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

That 3km run is tossed until other guidance supports it.  Western outlier thus far for the 12z suite.  Up next, Reggie.

Still not sure why we are tossing anything at this point.  You can see the standard NAM is still having issues with the convection down south.  Not sure anyone can say one is right and one is wrong at this point.

Archived