Newest Member
    joxey
Winter model mehhem or mayhem nature will decide

weathafella

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Whineminster said:

Folks in here wait all year for exciting weather, then when there's a chance we might get some they get wet feet.  I don't get it. 

Homeowner, 2 kids, etc.  2008 was not really enjoyable.

Breathtakingly beautiful, very neat weather-wise, but I will pass.  Hope you enjoy it

8 minutes ago, Sugarloaf1989 said:

Anyone wanting a repeat of that is insane, certifiably. Lived through it in Maine and it was awful.

It's up there with people wanting high risk tornado outbreak or Category 4/5 hurricane to hit their area. Went through 4/16/11 high risk in NC and I swore off cheering on backyard high risk days for rest of my life. That was a terrifying experience. My parents also went through 0.75-1" ice event and that was bad enough... 1998 level is one big nope.

8 minutes ago, dryslot said:

1-2.5" ice accretion here is all anyone should need to know.

F' that. Ice storms are pretty until you lose power/heat and trees/lines start snapping.

59 minutes ago, dendrite said:

What mid levels? The H5 vortmax tracks over SNE now. We're close to popping a 2ndry near Kevin's fanny.

In the latest runs, yes.

You feel that is because the EPO blocking forced it east?

Honest question...I would like to hear from Brian, Will, Scott and Ryan on this.

If all you guys can honestly say the EPO block is directly responsible for forcing the upper system to the east, then I am wrong and will learn from the responses.

I feel the low levels can trend colder because the of the high, but the mid levels trending east is becuase of nuances with the shortwave.

1 minute ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

In the latest runs, yes.

You feel that is because the EPO blocking forced it east?

Honest question...I would like to hear from Brian, Will, Scott and Ryan on this.

If all you guys can honestly say the EPO block is directly responsible for forcing the upper system to the east, then I am wrong and will learn from the responses.

I feel the low levels can trend colder because the cold, but the mid levels trending east is becuase of nuances with the shoetwave.

My take on it is that all things being equal the epo would tend to cause confluence in the flow (very cold north with a se ridge) thus less chance of a lakes cutter and more opportunity for sheared system with light to moderate snow and ice. It of course can't stop a cutter in and of itself.  

1 minute ago, OSUmetstud said:

My take on it is that all things being equal the epo would tend to cause confluence in the flow (very cold north with a se ridge) thus less chance of a lakes cutter and more opportunity for sheared system with light to moderate snow and ice. It of course can't stop a cutter in and of itself.  

That mid-level confluence helps to strengthen the sfc high. So although Ray is correct that the sfc high isn't steering the ship, that epo ridging is influencing the high. It all works together and the -EPO definitely helps. It worked for Ant this time, but you can't just always see a -EPO and assume a cutter is going to verify cold and wintry for the EC either. There's not a lot of black and white in meteorology. If there was, forecasting would be easy.

Just now, OSUmetstud said:

Agreed.

I mentioned shearing east a plauability, but neglected the fact that that is partially attributable to the EPO. That is my bad. But I don't think that the way some articulated it was accurate. The EPO does not simply block it from cutting...I think both parties could have communicated better.

2 minutes ago, dendrite said:

That mid-level confluence helps to strengthen the sfc high. So although Ray is correct that the sfc high isn't steering the ship, that epo ridging is influencing the high. It all works together and the -EPO definitely helps. It worked for Ant this time, but you can't just always see a -EPO and assume a cutter is going to verify cold and wintry for the EC either. There's not a lot of black and white in meteorology. If there was, forecasting would be easy.

Yes, agreed.

Its easy to forget this and apply information too rigidly from time to time. It is all connected.

2 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

Yes, to me the key has been all the modeling started with extension of the TPV  in the SW undercutting the EPO pinching it off and developing more meridian flow. A known bias during highly anomalous EPO regimes is for modelling to place energy in the SW. Now as modeling adjusts to the reality of higher pressures and deeper cold in Canada their outputs consolidated the TPV and sheared out the SWave resulting in a less meriodinal flow. Does not preclude warmer upper air from penetrating but does increase CAD. 

10 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

The Christmas deal may be bogus because the Euro keys on that more northern disturbance phasing in.  Typically the last 2-3 years when the GFS doesn’t see an interaction via a northern disturbance that the Euro does the Euro has generally ended up wrong 

The 12z GGEM looked to do this as well, And looking at the 12z Ukie, It had a SLP in the GOM at 1000mb on the 25th but of course cant see in between panels.

Archived