Newest Member
    joxey
December 8-16 Clipper Regime

Hoosier

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

I'm expecting lots of pics from Michigan around this time tomorrow night. :snowing:

Western Michigan, where I live, is gonna get plastered with the heaviest snow and highest totals! 6-8” with very heavy snow at times, and possible whiteout conditions from time to time! 

18 minutes ago, Geoboy645 said:

I got a bit of hope for tomorrows clipper especially considering the last couple have been more south than forecast. I'm expecting 2-3 inches here

Man it's a tough forecast for you.  Models are still in disagreement on where the heaviest band will setup there.  HRRRx nails you big time, while the 3km would leave you with little more than a DAB.  RGEM is sort of somewhere in the middle.  Good luck lol.

EDIT:  Actually the HRRRx is a little heavier just north of you after looking at it a little closer, but still certainly better than the 3km NAM.  2-3" is likely a pretty good call, but it won't take much to go either way on that.

8 hours ago, Stebo said:

It will probably verify 3-4mb weaker than that.

It is already down to 995 and the 1-hr pressure falls shows that it has further to go. I think the low/ associated snow band may track slightly SW of the current consensus but an error of no more than 1 county or so at best. (Of course a stronger solution may result in more aggressive dry slotting. Dry slotting being both good and bad...good in the sense that more likely see some convective bursts on the fringes of it.  Note comments in NWS DTW discussion about contributions from Lake Erie.  This suggests that Ann Arbor might end up with some of the highest snow totals with its location near the glacial ridge, favorable up-slope winds,  and also within the main swath of snow.  Snow already has started here in Eastern Jackson County as of 6:15 AM.) Edit: 994 mb low as of the 6 am update. 06 Z NAM NEST didn't have it that deep till 19z. 

47 minutes ago, MikeGold said:

It is already down to 995 and the 1-hr pressure falls shows that it has further to go. I think the low/ associated snow band may track slightly SW of the current consensus but an error of no more than 1 county or so at best. (Of course a stronger solution may result in more aggressive dry slotting. Dry slotting being both good and bad...good in the sense that more likely see some convective bursts on the fringes of it.  Note comments in NWS DTW discussion about contributions from Lake Erie.  This suggests that Ann Arbor might end up with some of the highest snow totals with its location near the glacial ridge, favorable up-slope winds,  and also within the main swath of snow.  Snow already has started here in Eastern Jackson County as of 6:15 AM.) Edit: 994 mb low as of the 6 am update. 06 Z NAM NEST didn't have it that deep till 19z. 

Just looking at the radar real quick it looks to me the highest totals might end up about 30 miles or so north and east of there. To me, it looks like the storm is moving as fast east as it is south which might bring the dry slot all the way up to Ann Arbor, might even make it a little north of there even. Just my thoughts after looking at the radar this morning and seeing how its coming together. I might be wrong though so we'll see.

45 minutes ago, slow poke said:

Just looking at the radar real quick it looks to me the highest totals might end up about 30 miles or so north and east of there. To me, it looks like the storm is moving as fast east as it is south which might bring the dry slot all the way up to Ann Arbor, might even make it a little north of there even. Just my thoughts after looking at the radar this morning and seeing how its coming together. I might be wrong though so we'll see.

Yes..ie the consensus. Note that the consensus for the last storm was too far to the North.  Also note that the latest HRRR clips Ann Arbor with 0.5 QPF amounts which could translate into 9" of snow.

13 minutes ago, Harry Perry said:

Same here haha. 

It's not over. All short range guidance showed the significant dry-slotting during mid-day. AFD's had a handle on that as well, but it's supposed to fill-in just in time for evening commutes across SWMI, just too late for SWI. IWX even mentioned adding some more counties in the WWA if that part of the storm looks better at game-time. 

hrrr_ref_frzn_us_fh2-6.gif

Archived