• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 8-16 Clipper Regime

Hoosier

Detroit-Windsor could pick up additional snow from rarely seen Lake St Clair enhancement if winds turn northeast which I think they may do. 

Anyone in the subforum in London ON and observing (even casually), our contest has a problem with YXU not measuring snow this winter (something I only heard about after closing the contest), we need some observations. A private message or post in the contest thread would be better than in this thread but I thought maybe such a person might be reading this thread. Thanks in advance. 

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, nwohweather said:

How are conditions in lower MI currently? Still no snow here in Perrysburg, OH at the moment but the dry slot seems to be filling in nicely

In my area, about 25 miles west of Port Huron, we have had 2 or 3 inches so far and it's snowing as hard now as it has all day. I just plowed the driveway for the first time this season. Looking like 5-7 inches when all said and done, maybe a bit more after looking at the radar. This little clipper really packed a punch for most of MI today, even in northern lower it over achieved in spots. 

23 minutes ago, nwohweather said:

How are conditions in lower MI currently? Still no snow here in Perrysburg, OH at the moment but the dry slot seems to be filling in nicely

Was impressed with how much it actually filled in as it raced across Indiana. There was a lot of debate both locally and at IWX as if to whether or not that would happen, and to what extent. 

3 hours ago, Jackstraw said:

Temps have way under achieved so far here, we're at or just below freezing so maybe that weenie band coming through NW IN will spit some dust on us before the heat wave in a couple hours.   :weenie:  

How are you doing down there? I'm up to over a half an inch and from the looks of radar, I might be able to squeeze an inch out of it. Temps are marginal enough and with sunset, I don't think they will be a problem.

15 minutes ago, IWXwx said:

How are you doing down there? I'm up to over a half an inch and from the looks of radar, I might be able to squeeze an inch out of it. Temps are marginal enough and with sunset, I don't think they will be a problem.

Ripped for 15-20 minutes around 4-4:30 then stopped.  Pingers and drizzle about a half hour later for a few then just ripped again about the last 20 min.  Waning now.  Maybe a half inch of snow, maybe.  Temp rose to only 34 now dropping again.  Still more than forecast so over performer? lol. Wish this second band wasn't trucking so fast, might of beat the inch from the first clipper ;)

3 hours ago, Jackstraw said:

Ripped for 15-20 minutes around 4-4:30 then stopped.  Pingers and drizzle about a half hour later for a few then just ripped again about the last 20 min.  Waning now.  Maybe a half inch of snow, maybe.  Temp rose to only 34 now dropping again.  Still more than forecast so over performer? lol. Wish this second band wasn't trucking so fast, might of beat the inch from the first clipper ;)

I got up to 0.5" then turned to pingers. Just a slushy mess out there now. I only got 0.7" from the first clipper, but then got an inch from LES . whoppee.

Had a nice initial burst on the frontogen snows early to mid afternoon...then after the dry slot a good hour to hour and a half of inch per hour rates from 6:30-8ish...it's been a slow burn since.  4.7" so far.  The clipper snow is winding down soon but there may be a bit of LES through morning.  I'm sure I'll clear 5", 6 may be a bit tougher.  Not bad for a clipper. 

18 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

Quite surprised at the lack of activity in this thread tonight with all the widespread snows in MI/northern OH.  Congrats to those who cashed in.  :snowman:

I was so busy. Didnt have time for the actual thread lol. It was a great clipper...pure powder. It grinded some more snow overnight, so storm total here was 6.7" with a liquid equivalent of 0.50". The storm 2 days earlier dropped 4.0" with 0.28" liquid. Naturally the snow is settling, but it has quickly transformed into a winter wonderland here. Today was a cobalt blue sky with frigid mid-winterlike air. Definitely no complaints on the start we have had to winter, and I hope all can cash in (being an active Nina, they probably will).

25399087_10109460769009883_7995178006866

25289597_10109460769304293_1117111110431

25398977_10109460769992913_8140925260651

25289740_10109460769104693_4192823874114

25299021_10109460770082733_7148646550973

25289468_10109460770182533_6884552168597

Congrats to all of those who got lots of snow from the clippers. My worst fears going into last week were realized.

Clipper 1: 0.7" 1.0" LES behind clipper

Clipper 2: 0.0" 0.3" LES behind clipper

Clipper 3: 0.4" 0.0" LES behind clipper

Clipper 4: Will be a complete whiff to the north

1.1" + 1.3" = 2.4" :axe:

9 minutes ago, IWXwx said:

Congrats to all of those who got lots of snow from the clippers. My worst fears going into last week were realized.

Clipper 1: 0.7" 1.0" LES behind clipper

Clipper 2: 0.0" 0.3" LES behind clipper

Clipper 3: 0.4" 0.0" LES behind clipper

Clipper 4: Will be a complete whiff to the north

1.1" + 1.3" = 2.4" :axe:

You got more LES than me.  

8 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Detroit is sitting at like 250% of average snowfall to date.  That place just seems like it finds any excuse to snow.

Weak systems that move through the Great Lakes often seem to amplify and get juiced up once they get to Southeast Michigan. Perfect example was yesterday...Looking at radar, you will see scattered precip. over Western Michigan all of a sudden intensify into solid bands once it gets past Lansing. This has been going on for years now.

2 hours ago, Hoosier said:

A few other cities by comparison (% of average since July 1)

Chicago:  46%

Milwaukee:  37%

Indianapolis:  11%

Minneapolis 27%  

MSP has recorded 4.1" season to date and should be at 15"

Clipper train has produced mood flakes here almost every day for the past week but typically only a DAB. 

Archived