Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Sunday's Screaming Southeaster

CT Rain

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

The more photos and info that comes out, this  just gets worse around here.  Blow down style damage as people explore.

Mostly white pine forests which are lower elevation with tall trees.  But old growth stuff in some cases.

It was an overperformer (in terms of damage) in my hood as well. I went south into Tewksbury and Billerica and it wasn't as bad as to my north (Dracut/Methuen). I can see why Ray wasn't all that impressed. The real damage appeared to follow the Merrimack River/Valley.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Fukin terrorists 

Literally right around the corner from my friend's apartment.  All of these events that happen, and the mind always says, NYC (insert city here) is a big city, the chances are slim that the event was near anyone that I know. This **** was one block away from her building, and where her daughter walks to and from school every day.  

45 minutes ago, MarkO said:

I had higher winds during Sandy. I think it was a combination of longer duration from a more constant direction, along with softer ground. But after driving around today, there's NO doubt, the number of trees felled by this storm FAR surpassed anything since mid 90(s). I really can't remember how many trees were down during Bob/Gloria.

Huge mature trees, oaks, maples, pines, didn't matter other than they probably had some internal weakness or other stress, uniqueness that caused them to topple. Many of them across power lines. I'm still out of power and all they have done so far is remove the tree. Rt. 133 is STILL closed. It's a main route into Lowell from the southeast.

That's unacceptable from what I have heard form people who live nearby. How can that be still closed. Hell the ORH icestorm leveled poled and trees and roads were open in two days. That's absurd. 

2 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Fisher sucked on that one. Tried to poo poo it by saying we didn't have a good pressure gradient. WTF does a 1024 high and 969 low do?? Cause a seabreeze? Basically when he downplays or hypes something up, go opposite. You'll win more often than not.

3 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Did they?

Of course they did. I still don't think western Mass needed one.

I think the local offices overall did a good job in the near term, but pretty awful in the medium range. Days 4 and 5 there was a lot of downplaying and just blind acceptance of the model blend. 17G30 is a pretty poor forecast, even at that range. And there were definitely signals for strong wind then.

This will all be solved when WPC takes days 2-7...

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

Fisher sucked on that one. Tried to poo poo it by saying we didn't have a good pressure gradient. WTF does a 1024 high and 969 low do?? Cause a seabreeze? Basically when he downplays or hypes something up, go opposite. You'll win more often than not.

Um look back in this thread on Friday Kev posted Fishers map

1 minute ago, Ginx snewx said:

Tolland Weather Stem at 800 ft gusted to 52, so at 1K ya got to figure close

Yeah I don't doubt Kev got into some of the good stuff, I just don't think BOX needed HWW for all their zones in MA. 

I'll be curious to see how verification works out. I was hearing rumblings when I left Monday that a good chunk of our zones our WCM wasn't sure would verify. But I know at least PWM, MHT, HIE, AUG, and GYX measured 50+ knots. 

No power for me yet. Coming up on 48 hours. Thankfully we have a small generator for the refrigerator and some lights. Call Verizon change to unlimited data temporarily and set up my smartphone as a WiFi hotspot and now I have laptop and internet. I can't figure out why the power is out because there's almost no damage to trees and branches around here.

8 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Yeah I don't doubt Kev got into some of the good stuff, I just don't think BOX needed HWW for all their zones in MA. 

I'll be curious to see how verification works out. I was hearing rumblings when I left Monday that a good chunk of our zones our WCM wasn't sure would verify. But I know at least PWM, MHT, HIE, AUG, and GYX measured 50+ knots. 

DO you guys use Windflow stations or just the crappy ASOS stations. I mean 75 knots at 1K when a lot of your state is 1K plus.....

Just now, Ginx snewx said:

So you guys use Windflow stations or just the crappy ASOS stations

We'll use mesonets if the numbers look legit. I was more pointing out that we managed like a half dozen ASOSs with 50+ knots, so that's a hell of an event given how hard it is to get big winds on those.

41 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

You did not get HWW most likely. Trees down don't signify HWW. 

Agreed on trees down don't signify HWW criteria being met.

With that said...whether or not the actual speeds were reached (I don't know what criteria is?), I think the damage and amount of longer lasting power outages make it an easy impacted based HWW verification.

I mean, the NWS issues impact based headlines all the time.  Just wait for that first winter event when winter storm warnings are issued for a SWFE of 3-6" of snow with some IP/ZR.  Or the advisory issued for a quick 1-3" at rush hour when an SPS could handle it.

11 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

We'll use mesonets if the numbers look legit. I was more pointing out that we managed like a half dozen ASOSs with 50+ knots, so that's a hell of an event given how hard it is to get big winds on those.

Yeah BTV and MPV both were over 50kts for gusts.  

MVL crapped out with the power outage during the worst of it so who knows, does that still store data somewhere that I can see?  Morrisville had much less damage than Stowe did even thought it's only a few miles apart, but I'd still be curious what happened from like 2-8am.

Just now, powderfreak said:

Yeah BTV and MPV both were over 50kts for gusts.  

MVL crapped out with the power outage during the worst of it so who knows, does that still store data somewhere that I can see?  Morrisville had much less damage than Stowe did even thought it's only a few miles apart, but I'd still be curious what happened from like 2-8am.

Sometimes they do. It depends on the specific outage. If it was just the line transmitting the obs, then the data can be recovered. If the whole ASOS power was knocked out, then it's dust in the wind.

4 hours ago, snowman21 said:

Saw a convoy of Ohio Edison trucks heading northbound on 95 from just over the state line 10 minutes ago. Reinforcements are on the way for those still without power!

Saw some trucks from South Carolina on Route 3 in Lowell a few hours ago. They're coming from all over. 

5 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Sometimes they do. It depends on the specific outage. If it was just the line transmitting the obs, then the data can be recovered. If the whole ASOS power was knocked out, then it's dust in the wind.

Makes sense.  I have no idea what it was but the obs are missing haha.

I have to think you guys should verify any ASOS over 50kts...I mean that's rare for most of those stations.  If that doesn't verify HWW, what will?

Are HWW criteria different from coastal zones vs interior?  55mph at BDL is different than FMH.  

Just now, powderfreak said:

Makes sense.  I have no idea what it was but the obs are missing haha.

I have to think you guys should verify any ASOS over 50kts...I mean that's rare for most of those stations.  If that doesn't verify HWW, what will?

Are HWW criteria different from coastal zones vs interior?  55mph at BDL is different than FMH.  

It's a national standard. 50 knots, just like a SVR.

31 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Agreed on trees down don't signify HWW criteria being met.

With that said...whether or not the actual speeds were reached (I don't know what criteria is?), I think the damage and amount of longer lasting power outages make it an easy impacted based HWW verification.

I mean, the NWS issues impact based headlines all the time.  Just wait for that first winter event when winter storm warnings are issued for a SWFE of 3-6" of snow with some IP/ZR.  Or the advisory issued for a quick 1-3" at rush hour when an SPS could handle it.

Hey, the lights are on! Well, that was one heck of a storm. I think I had gusts to near 50 mph. It sounded a lot worse, however. I spent the night listening to noaa weather radio and am dxing (listening for far away radio stations.) You know a storm is bad when its the lead story on a Chicago radio station.

Archived